And the winner of the debate was...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 5, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

No one.

Pence came off well with a cool head. He was clear to understand and brought up some worthwhile topics and discussed some policy. But he didn't answer several questions and didn't defend Trump. He also perpetuated lies. Hypocrisy coming from a few comments about Hillary running a negative campaign considering Trump's demeanor, tweets and press interviews. Irony at suggesting that the American public can tell the truth from a lie when Kaine was talking given the easily proven lies Trump still thinks he can get away with. And Pence made to errors that stuck out. The first is that he called America the greatest nation in the world. Which goes against their campaign message of how behind/how we're losing at everything. If the slogan is Make America Great Again - perhaps you shouldn't state that we ARE the greatest nation. The other comment was his non-answer to how his beliefs have might have been in conflict with policy/law. Pence didn't answer the question and tried to trap Kaine re: pro-life. But it backfired on him. At least in my opinion it did. Pence was running for President for 2020. Kaine was running for VP 2016.

On the flip side - you have Kaine who started off like a rabid dog ready to attack. Constantly interrupting Pence and the moderator made him look weaker/more unstable. I do think he pulled himself out of most of that for the latter half of the debate - but by then I'm guessing most had tuned out. I think he pulled the taxes and mexican comments out too much to the point where it just became awkward. I did like his sincerity about his having to reconcile the death penalty with his beliefs - and how he countered Pence's attack re: pro life. Kaine also suffered from not answering questions - but he did defend Hillary. I loved his laundry list of issues with Trump and that he was able to hammer home that Pence could not defend them.

But like I said - no one won. They both had +s and -s. Ultimately that VP debate matters little to the campaign.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

3. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Pence won but both of them sucked.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

NO ONE!

Let's just act like that HOT MESS didn't even happen.

Kaine was overly aggressive. (Kept interrupting Pence. Was way too hyper)
    Pence couldn't defend his candidate. (Is Pence running for President or VP?) It was hard to tell last night.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If I had to pick a winner, I'd go with Pence for his opening gaffe of calling Longwood College Norwood. I guess their real name was too gay for him.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Kaine was great. He had me laughing quite a bit. Snaps at every turn and that ****-eating grin. Troll for VP, 2016.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Kaine blew it. Substance-wise he thrashed Pence and the Republican lies. And he kept hitting Pence on Trump being an unhinged psycho.

But appearance-wise, him constantly interrupting and talking over Pence made him look like a fool.

If he would have just shut the **** up a few more times and waited for Pence to finish his sentence to speak he would have been much better off.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I think Pence won it for admitting he "gets down on his knees" every day. God bless him.

Mike

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well in debating yes but lying he wn the big award. he was starting make trump look like a truthful person.

11. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Pence looked the more composed and presidential. Kaine looked hyper and desperate with the constant interruptions and assaults on Trump but Pence never took the bait.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

wimp.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Pence was looking ahead toward the 2 yr mark of the Trump Presidency. Figures he'll have to take over by then.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The winner of the debate last night was Sarah Palin.

Yes, I said Sarah Palin.

Not that I really care about her policies, as she's a nutcase, but she brought up a point that is spot on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-palin-debate-tweet_us_57f469cfe4b015995f2befd9

Makes you wonder how 1980 - 1996 went for the VP debates as well.

BL.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

please no

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

yes. First one who stays up in the heels wins VP! :p

BL.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She stood in heels? For 90 minutes? Thank you Gov. Palin for your service to your country.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

And the winner of the debate was... Insomnia sufferers. There was so much 'white noise' (pun intended) with interruptions, non-answers, and pre-planned (and remarkably unfunny) jibes it was not only painful to watch it was boring and uninformative.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

23. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

That was classic too. But what struck me during his "down on his knees" episode was how Televangelist he was. Did anybody really buy his feigned drama? He might as well have been explaining, teary-eyed, why everyone watching should call in and become gold supporters. It was nauseating.

I think Kaine could have done better, for sure, but I can understand how Pence's out-and-out lying and disconnect from reality could drive someone nuts.

Mike

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Substance-wise, he acted to Pence the same way Trump acted toward Hillary. Sometimes right, sometimes not so right.

Appearance-wise, he he acted to Pence the same way Trump acted toward Hillary. Imperfect but impassioned.