And this is why I don't listen to celebs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark in GoT) has gone in the record saying she won't work in Georgia because of the recently passed "heartbeat law".

On one hand I have no problem with anyone who has strong convictions to not shop, work, fund etc. anything they disagree with. I don't think I have been to Target since they did their bathroom thing or Dicks's since they stopped selling A/R's. My right, so I am willing to let others do what they want.

But here comes Sophie Turner saying she won't work in Georgia. Ironically she said this right after cashing her GoT checks for close to $1M for Season 8 which was shot it N. Ireland and Croatia which have some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world.

Maybe she should have stuck to her convictions and not appeared in Season 8. I see her stand as nothing but virtue signalling and if there was a part that was going to pay her $20M to shoot a movie in Georgia she would be there.

2. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I agree I also don’t listen to celebs. If only republicans followed that rule we wouldn’t have Trump :p

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Maybe she was contractually obligated to finish the season. :eek:

4. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

It is very hypocritical for celebrities or anyone else, for that matter, to refuse to work anywhere in the US due to disagreement over cultural issues, e.g., Target Store, Transgender bathroom issues. There is no where else in the world they work that has less restrictive laws. Many of the countries they work in actually jail or kill women who have an affair, disobey their husbands, gays, or anyone who disagrees with government policies. In America, we have the Constitutional right to disagree with anyone and anything, and have the right to vote to change things. Throwing a temper tantrum because you were on the wrong side of a vote is not helpful. In America, there will always be another chance to speak out, protest, and vote again on that issue. Grow up, calmly accept that you are in the minority this time, and get on with your life.

5. JayMysterio, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yet ironically it’s a right given to them by this country to choose where they want to work or don’t work and why.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

This the the same lot of whacky celebs who wanted to move to Canada because Trumps immigration stance was xenophobic.... Guess they never bothered to look into Canada's immigration laws eh?

HRC trotted them out as fast as she could book them and they had little to no effect.. Most people couldn't care less what they think or say even if these moronic celebs think they do....

In the case of this thread.. Not surprising at all re: her hypocritical actions and statements. Par for the course....

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Celebs are just like anyone else, their actions and opinions are just amplified. I think most reasons for boycotting businesses over culture war issues are stupid and hypocritical, but it's a person's right.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

11. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps, but she could have broken the contract had she felt that strongly about it. Legally she can't be made to fulfill a personal service contract but may be required to pay liquidated damages.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    There are a few that will actually walk the walk of what they are saying. For example I might listen to Angelina Jolie on the subject of child poverty in 3rd world countries because she has gone there and adopted children, donated $$$$ to cause and knows what she is talking about.

But mostly, no.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The Republicans have been throwing a hissy fit over Roe v Wade since that ruling was made. Time for them to grow up and realize if they know a woman who does not want to abort a fetus in the first two trimesters, she's not required to do so and that no one's out there agitating for her to do it, either.

Sounds reasonable to me. As far as listening to celebs... they have First Amendment rights the same as the rest of us. And they face consequences of their work-related decisions the same as the rest of us. They get to decide to accept or reject a job offer that may conflict with their moral principles or personal beliefs.

"Virtue signaling" is a buzz phrase. The reality of a celebrity's work-related decision is hers to deal with. Good on her if she finds it "virtuous" to refuse working in Georgia while that state disregards the absurdity of telling a woman she can terminate a pregnancy only within a time frame when she's unlikely even to know she's pregnant. That's some ****ed up perversion of Roe v Wade interpretations there, and an outright repression of women's autonomy.

The only reason Republicans don't like selected (e.g. "liberal" or "progressive") celebrities' use of free speech rights is that their celebrity may cause them to be heard more widely than if they were just ordinary people like us. That is also true of conservative celebrities, but I don't hear complaints from Rs about them!

But don't worry. The Rs usually have Donald Trump on their side (when he can actually focus on something aside from his personal obsessions), and Trump has the world's largest bully pulpit available to him 24/7 as long as he remains President.

I'm sure if Trump got into a shouting match with what's her name (see?) about the pros and cons of boycotting a state as a workplace over a social issue, he'd be more widely retweeted than she would.

That of course should mean exactly nothing to the justices of the Supreme Court when they hear that Georgia law challenged

So far even a conservative-leaning court still tends to find consensus on turning back extreme attempts of states to limit legal abortion in the USA. The Republicans don't have momentum going for them among the popular will of Americans on this matter. A substantial majority believes a woman should retain ability to choose to terminate a pregnancy within the first two trimesters. The court is not necessarily moved by shifts in popular opinion, but then it's not blind to the will of the people either, else we'd still be counting non-whites as fractional human beings.

So back to your proposal that throwing a temper tantrum over law (and over Supreme Court decisions as well, I would add) is not helpful: it's true. Let the Rs in Georgia remember that when the court strikes down an absurd law that says a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy ends before she may even know she's pregnant.

Will the boycott of Georgia as a potential workplace by a celebrity actor have any role in that SCOTUS ruling? Who knows. It might even set conservative justices' teeth on edge and send them the other way in support of the law if they were free to just vote on their own feelings and beliefs, but they're not going to do that. They'll be looking at precedents for the case in hand and finding enough similarities to throw that case where the rest of them went: out the window.

13. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

There are other actresses that will gladly take a job in Georgia. No politics attached.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

The production companies are all threatening to leave so there is no problem.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sure. I would assume she signed a contract on this some time ago. It might have been for the last 2 or 3 seasons at that time. Laws in those other countries probably haven't changed much since the time she signed it and heard about filming locations. At the same time, people's tendency toward activism is likely to be stronger within their home countries, where they feel their words will have the greatest impact.

I do personally roll my eyes at a lot of what celebrities and typical career politicians say. The really famous ones are treated differently wherever they go, and I imagine this shapes their perspective in unusual ways.

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Exactly. I'm not sure why the OP sought to single out Ms. Turner, when the likes of Netflix, Disney, and Amazon, as well as now the Walking Dead are leaving Georgia. This is also besides the fact that Turner isn't the only one saying she won't work in Georgia, as a number of actresses signed a pledge saying they would not work in states that passed such laws, so she isn't the only one.

I'm also pretty sure Ms. Turner didn't feel the need to start a thread because the OP stopped going to Target because of the bathroom issue. An issue I'm pretty sure she probably supports.

But, ah well..

17. Zenithal, Jun 2, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

Then why were people complaining when James Woods was suspended from Twitter? Why give a damn about an actor talking politics? Further more, why would some Republicans give credence to individuals Kim K, West, Kid Rock or Ted Nugent?

I lean right, I point that out so this doesn't become a left vs. right post. My general belief is that if you're a celebrity of any form, it usually means you weren't good enough to do anything worthwhile in life.

Falls in line with my other beliefs on why people lose their ****ing minds when a celebrity dies. Big whoop. Sad stuff. Move on. Don't get me wrong. I have some favorite celebrities myself. I'll be gutted when they pass on. I'll be back to my normal cheerful self in a couple days.

There are people who committed suicide when people like MJ died. Good grief. There are older people out there who went nuts when JP II died in 2005. Get a life and move on.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It might end up being more about which producers feel like lining up to shoot in Georgia and whether the directors of the films will enjoy having to add concern over a social issue to the menu of casting considerations.

I'm sure there's some blue state looking to jack up its tax-credit attractiveness to moviemakers feeling dicey about Georgia now, even as we extend this thread. Someone in Connecticut is pointing out how similar the woodlands are in summer...

On the other hand some states are looking to cut back their filmmaking incentives, arguing that if the focus is on job creation, the cost has outweighed the gains.

States that point to increased local spending rather than job gains are more inclined to maintain or increase the tax credit incentive to filmmakers. .

So who knows in the end what the trade-offs are for either the production company or the state where a movie's to be filmed. There could be timing issues related to a film's having been green-lighted, and pressure to get on with it already. Then the actors are probably not going to be in a position to spoil things for Georgia's film-related economy if the state had already been selected as a general location.

Meanwhile the clock ticks on before the law ends up in court anyway. It probably won't take long. So these boycott efforts are more likely to serve in political dialogue and as a voter-educational effort than as an effective relocation of movie-making.

19. Vanilla Ice, Jun 2, 2019

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

That’s fine. Let them. It’s all on the state of Georgia. Maybe Virginia will work out better for them.

20. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably because it was a recent article and with the show ending an all. Really could have picked from several, but just happened to come across her article.

Again, no problem with her not wanting to work in GA. But it is hard to take her reasons seriously when she just got paid $$$$ to work in countries whose abortion laws are far worse that GA's.

21. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

She's 23 and began working on GoT when she was 14. Most likely she had a contract before she even started thinking about these issues.

People evolve, deciding that from now on you will do/not do X thing doesn't suddenly become invalidated because you did it in the past.

22. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

They do. And if her convictions are strong enough that she can say no to all future work in GA, she could have said no to the GoT money and withdrawn from the project.

23. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I feel silly pointing this out, but you should be aware that filming for GoT ended before these abortion laws made the news.

Time travelling back to change past decisions is still not a thing, you can only decide for the future.

24. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Celebrities especially childhood celebrities are the worst people to get morals from. 1) They are usually more uneducated than the average joe due to less time in school. 2) Dont normally have any advanced degree, or trades. 3) Are in a pocitical bubble from the earliest outset and have a warped understanding of everyday people. 4) Have money so don't have to deal with struggle. 5) Are "world citizens" and are part of the elite. This is a recipe for ignorant, low-resolution thinking in a sticky wrapper of narcissistic virtue signalling. Count me out.

On the topic she is objecting too. Abortion is a grey issue that gets made black and white. Abortion isn't good, but not having it leads to even more bad things. It is IMO the very definition of a necessary evil. Prevention from pregnancy in the first place is key (not always an option, rape etc.) but the option for abortion should be there on the table should the women want it. You are ending a potential life, but thats better than the women taking her own actual life in a botched back-yard job. Or, depending on circumstances a life of debt and perpetual poverty, leading to crime and god knows what else. Republicans are the first to throw around the crime rates of children from single parent house holds. An abortion is regrettable, and yet should be allowed to happen.

If you want to prevent abortions all your efforts should be placed in prevention. Preventing pregnancy in the first place as thats where you "save" the most lives from abortion, by not conceiving in the first place. Only this will limit abortion. This includes sex education, cheaper and easier access to contraceptives, research into new contraceptive technology for women and men, and minimising medical complications with pregnancy.

In an ideal world we would never need an abortion ever again, women and men would choose when they would have kids, no rapes ever occurred, and the end to medical complications for having kids etc. But this is not a perfect world, and sometimes we need imperfect solutions. Abortion is one of those imperfect solutions.

25. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

Not to mention, how do we know she was even aware of the abortion laws in Croatia in order to protest them? It’s not likely something she thought to research and I’m sure there aren’t people picketing in the streets.....