and this is why I like apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Garyx24, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Garyx24, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

Garyx24 macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone 5 back in April and my earbuds that came with it died a couple days ago. I also had this stiff power button issue that wasn't too big of a deal but I went to the Apple store today to get a new earbud replacement with no intentions of a phone replacement. I got the earbud replacement and I just mentioned to them about the stiff power button on my iPhone 5. They said that's not normal and quickly gave me a new iphone 5 replacement. I was in and out of the Apple store in less than 15 mins with new earbuds and a new iPhone 5 replacement. This is the kind of customer experience Samsung, HTC and other phone companies should have and another reason why I go with Apple. I've dealt with Samsung customer service before back when I had an S2 and S3 and it was just horrid, going back and forth between my carrier and them.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a similar issue last November. People could not hear me very well. Thought it might be me but they checked my phone and it was a bad mic. Replaced it on the spot.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep, it's the service that has pretty much kept me with Apple throughout. Unless you're arsey with them, most people at Apple will bend over backwards to help you.

4. 53kyle, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

When my iPod touch microphone broke, I had to make a genius bar appointment. I went in the store (surprisingly not so busy the day after the 5S came out) and a genius helped me out. First he went in the back and cleaned it. I tested it and there was still the same problem. Then he reset all settings and it seemed like the problem might be gone, because you could hear talking after recording, but it was quiet. I assumed it was hard to hear only because of all of the noise around me but once I left the store it was still barely audible. I went back in, told them that the issue was still there and they said I needed a replacement.

My device was a year old, and now I have a brand new one with a new battery that actually held a charge. On top of all of that, I got all of the apple apps for free because I guess this counts as a new device, and when I checked my applecare, it had been extended to SEPTEMBER NEXT YEAR! I guess it was a good thing I caught that the problem was still there before going home because if I hadn't, the next time I would have been able to go was after my applecare would have expired.

I went home, plugged it into my mac, and restored iOS 7 onto it (it came with iOS 6 and I know many of you will say I should have kept it, but I actually like the new features and design of iOS 7). When I restored my iCloud backup and synced my music, it was exactly how I liked it and had it before, even the website I had opened when I made my backup.

The only issue with this device is that the lock button only works if I press on the right side of it (as in not left). I don't think it is worth another trip to the apple store and having to get another replacement device, and I only had two screen protectors, both of which I used (I like keeping my devices in mint condition).

5. macred macrumors regular

After years of terrific Apple customer service, I've yet to have a bad experience. Personally I think that's their best asset.

They listen and care about the customer better than any other department in the company.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

THIS is why I switched to apple and stayed with them. Awesome customer service and a quality product!

7. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I would love to work as an Apple Employee. Compared to other workers who dress in blue (Walmart), Apple is like the juxtaposition.

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

That's awesome! I'm guessing you had AppleCare?

9. Garyx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was covered under the 1 year warranty.

10. KevinMac macrumors regular

KevinMac

That is great to hear! I too love Apple customer service!:D:D

11. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Even better! I don't have AppleCare so that's good to hear.

12. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

My neighbor, myself and wife have all had great similar experiences. It's not often I've ever had to use their warranty services but man is Apple stellar in that department

13. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

their customer service is awesome... I have had earbuds replaced with no questions asked..I also had to take mY MacBook in because my "m" key stopped working..I thought it was going to cost me quite a bit but they replaced the keyboard for FREE!!!!

14. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

I hate the Apple employee hipsters that just chill around talking. Some wear beanies, some wear flip flops/TOMS, etc.

I understand their trying to employ a certain atmosphere, but damn, act like you're useful.

15. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Apple is pretty much the only tech company that has stores and a great support system. Microsoft is also good. A reason I don't buy throw away android.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Totally agree. Apple customer service is brilliant. I can't say the same for the 2 samsung s3 I had serviced.

17. aluren macrumors 65816

I've had multiple iPhones replaced due to hardware problems... Great service. I remembered laughing when Steve said Apple built the stores just for us. I thought 'yeah sure like you don't sell stuff there...' But it's true, they provide great hardware support and a very liberal store policy.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah definitely a lot of hipsters working there broh.

19. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Apple is why so many people are leaving Microsoft... Microsoft could care less about their customers, Apple actually cares about them. :)

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

and this is the environment i would like to see everywhere.

do you want them all in suits?

facebook and google do this at their respective head offices. i think it relaxes the mood and lets people be who they are. imo that allows for more productivity.

21. xizdun macrumors regular

Yep, largely good experiences thus far. Then again, I'm paying for it—Apple products are more expensive, and you're paying a premium for the superior service.

I find the store decor cold. Have to maze through traffic to get to the Genius Bar at the back. Hard, uncomfortable stools with no cushion. The store setup without people looks great, but put bodies in and it's mayhem. Majority of the store traffic isn't there to make a purchase; kiddies messing with devices, people just hanging out, people popping into the Apple Store as they stroll past with no intention of making a purchase (which is fine—it gets them through the door and makes the storefront look busy). The crowd that is there to make a purchase, is largely comprised of novice users (which is also fine, and that's the primary purpose of the brick-and-mortar Apple Store).

I somehow desire more separation/sectioning and organization of the various areas in the store, but don't ask me how that's achieved.

The only occasions I step foot in an Apple Store (12 miles away, wish there was one closer) is when I need to get hands-on time with a new product and warranty-related Genius Bar appointments.

22. teribithia macrumors member

teribithia

The "New iPhone" is not the total new, it is a repaired iPhone . But the apple store is great as they do not reply you : you must wait for 10-20 days to get your repaired phone .

Also there is some worry about your private message as other repair center .

23. ATC macrumors 6502a

As an AC+ user I actually have come to appreciate a little thing called Express Replacement.

I live pretty far from an Apple store, there isn't one in the little city I live in so whenever I have any issues with my iPhone I simply call in and get the issue diagnosed over the phone, Apple then sends me a replacement iPhone overnight, send back the defective one after I receive the new one, at no cost to me and all from the comfort of my home.

I've had this done once when I had my iP4 and a couple of times with my 5. I too, like the OP, have experienced Samsung's and LG's customer care (or lack thereof) and won't be going back to that. No one else offers this service and that's part of why I'm sticking with Apple.

24. itjw macrumors 65816

Same as everyone else, my experiences have all been stellar (well, same as everyone that isn't a cray cray OCD nut going in to complain about "interlacing" (wrong term btw...) that no one else can see, let alone reproduce in person, or a teeny tiny speck of a "scuff" that they are sure happened out of the box (but didn't see out of the box so they need to replace it weeks later... but I digress)).

I think the availability of Apple stores and the level of service they provide is why even if they never satisfy the "Apple doesn't innovate, even though I haven't a clue what that means..." folks it will STILL retain the majority of it's user base year after year.

When my wife's BlackBerry died (her last non-iPhone phone), we tried for weeks to get service (under warranty, through BB, through AT&T...) and YIKES. Two weeks later, I decided I'd use it for target practice with my Mossberg 500. Felt good. The BB probably had a better chance of getting repaired by shooting it than it did by going through normal channels.

For all the hate, fandroids rarely stop to ask WHY Apple fanboys are the way they are. It's due in VERY large part to the fact that there is almost never a "problem" with an Apple device in warranty that isn't completely solved (usually with a new device entirely) in a matter of minutes. Samsung appears to be decades away from this level of service. It's a BIG deal.

25. Garyx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea I was thinking that too, it didn't come out of an original iphone 5 box but a miniature white box with a sticker.