And this is why some people aren't buying in to climate change:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

What they buy into doesn't equate to what is happening. If true, sure, this can be used as ammo for deniers... people who will deny it anyways. The President tweets during a snow storm that we could use some global warming... that too doesn't help.

When people look at an electoral map of the country and see red, and think Montana should have the same amount of say as New York State because "look at all the red", and think a really cold day means there's no way global warming could be real, then this study wasn't going to persuade them, errors or not.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

But Al Gore says it's so....... Wait, according to him weren't all suppose be dead already? That dude made a huge chunk of change off the farce and used that chunk of change to fly private, have a big ole polluting mansion ect..... LOL

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Gore was not wrong on climate change. He may be a hypocrite of sorts in some ways. Doesn't mean he was wrong.

I love hearing from smart people well-studied on the subject, people who are in this career, people who study it for a living... they know what they're talking about.

But the average Fox News viewer will see Mitch Cecil the Turtle McConnell stand up and say "I'm no scientist or meteorologist, but..."

Someone who wants to actually learn about climate change - man-made or not - should stop listening to him right there.

5. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Gore was wrong. He may not be wrong that it is happening, but he was wrong that the Polar Ice Caps didn't melt by 2014 or some of his other outlandish predictions.

Yes, there are some who have made climate science a career and maybe would should listen to them. But they aren't the ones on TV and in the media making outlandish predictions that don't some true. So the average person has no idea they exist or what they know. They hear the "predictions" and then notice none of them ever seem to come true, so they stop listening.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The polar ice caps are being decimated.... a half decade or so is not a huge difference given their lifespan. Chunks of ice older than Christ are going to be Miami's floodwaters.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So the car was going 60 instead of 80 when it hit the wall.

8. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

But where is the wall? We keep driving and people keep telling us it's right there, but we never get there.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

See now..That's the thing.. You don't see the wall until it's too late.That's how crashes work.

Maybe if we could do something to stop that crash. Hmm..

10. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

But here is the problem We have been told the wall is at X, we get to X and no wall. No wait, it's at Y. Get to Y and no wall and so on. Eventually we stop looking for it.

11. Rum_Becker Suspended

But there is no wall, earth has been much hotter in the past and there is nothing meaningful that can be done. The sooner we can accept this, the sooner we can plan on how to deal with a warming planet.

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I would love it if climate change were BS. Unfortunately it's not. I would love it if California would go back to normal and we'd get 15" of rain a year, spread out evenly from October to May, and that wildfires would be small and only happen between June and September. Climate change can be observed today. And that's the thing--when it comes to climate change, I'm much more interested in what's happening today than with predictions about the future that when they don't come true, are used to argue that climate change is BS.

13. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I thought the controversy is not whether the earth is warming but whether the warming is man-made. Anyhow, as to the article op has cited, the claim that the oceans are warming was not rejected, but the rate of warming was inaccurate. If anything, this gives more credence to scientists - as opposed to politicians they admit when they are wrong.

"Just two weeks after publication, the study authors have revised their paper, and now conclude that the oceans are warming fast -- but at the same rate as other measurements have found."

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Conservatives said heterosexual orientation was the norm, and anything else was a "choice", a "lifestyle" or a moral failing. They said putting nutritional information on food was a waste of time because nobody would ever read it. They said solar energy and wind power were far too weak to be usable or worth putting any money into. They said we didn't need to worry about the dangers of smog and thermal inversion layers.

They never seem to get tired of being wrong about things. And here we are quibbling over whether the climate is warming too fast or much too fast, as if that disproves the entire subject.

I'm not worried about people who don't understand the scientific method or who think scientists exploring new territory should immediately have all the answers. You'll never be able to convince people like that.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I think for some, the debate is not whether it is warming or whether it is man-made, but whether anything can be done to reverse the course. Even many strong "believers" in climate change say that nothing can be done, that we're too far-gone, that even stopping all carbon emissions now would not reverse the course. The earth has gone through cycles of icehouse and greenhouse periods throughout its history. Humans evolved in an icehouse period that began millions of years ago and human activity is pushing the earth into a greenhouse period. No one really knows what caused the previous switches between greenhouse and icehouse, only that it correlates with CO2 levels (volcanic activity can be one driver). And if human activity can raise CO2 levels, it does not seem outrageous to suggest that human activity can cause a greenhouse period positive feedback loop.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Which is it? Climate change? Or Global warming?

17. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

It's not hard to comprehend. Warming is an aspect of climate change.

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not. Sure. If. Serious.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It helps to know exactly what he said

--- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2018 ---
    https://climate.nasa.gov/resources/global-warming/

Global warming
    Global warming refers to the upward temperature trend across the entire Earth since the early 20th century, and most notably since the late 1970s, due to the increase in fossil fuel emissions since the industrial revolution. Worldwide since 1880, the average surface temperature has gone up by about 0.8 °C (1.4 °F), relative to the mid-20th-century baseline (of 1951-1980).

Climate change
    Climate change refers to a broad range of global phenomena created predominantly by burning fossil fuels, which add heat-trapping gases to Earth’s atmosphere. These phenomena include the increased temperature trends described by global warming, but also encompass changes such as sea level rise; ice mass loss in Greenland, Antarctica, the Arctic and mountain glaciers worldwide; shifts in flower/plant blooming; and extreme weather events.

20. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am a little skeptical about global warming being man-made. I won't completely reject it, but I think it happens naturally, like it has for millions of years.

I hang out with a lot of hard-core believers in man-made global warming (or climate change). Most of them are college aged, I am much older. Typically I stay out of the political debates, but I did tell them about my experience with earth day when I was a little kid.

We were taught in school that the earth was cooling at an unprecedented rate do to the influences of man, mostly about deforestation.

Back then, the US had a few decades of record low temps, and many bad snow storms.

But, in the 90's the US started to have record high temps, droughts, and by the 2000's came around, it became man-made global warming.

But, the Late 2000's gave us some cold weather again, so the new term was man-made climate change.

Again, I won't completely reject the idea of it being man-made but it is hard to know who to trust on the issue.

Can we really trust the people that do this for a living?

Anyone remember that Wikileak about leaked emails of climatologists (or something in that arena)? Basically showing that data was deliberately manipulated to show that the climate was changing unnaturally.

these ppl were supposed to be the unbiased subject matter experts, and they were changing the data.

21. Rum_Becker Suspended

The only difference is that this time the human population will be 10,000,000,000 vs 1 million, that's 4 orders of magnitude greater. If florida goes under water there will be 21 million people to move which is 21 times greater than the entire human population the last time this happened.

Unfortunately people will starve to death, by the 2100 Africa is projected to have 4.5 billion people which is 45 times higher than from 1900. Most of the western world has a negative fertility rate, our population is only increasing due to immigration. The best way to deal with the effects of climate change is to have less children, if a region decides to increase their population 4 fold from now and the year 2100, they have only themselves to blame for the misery that they will bring their countries.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2018 ---
    Doesn't really matter if it's man made or not, the world is getting hotter and we need to deal with it and conserving resources is always a good idea. My issue is that some people want to spend trillions on a cure that will not work, it's better to spend that money dealing with climate change, made made or not.

22. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

But wouldn't such a person, who has literally invested his/her whole career on this agenda, be loathe to accept any reality other than that which keeps their own personal gravy train rolling? I would listen to someone who has NOT hitched their entire life's wagon to any one agenda.

23. DanielDD, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

DanielDD macrumors 6502

Funny thing about how the academia works: if a scientist finds an alternative explanation of climate change that is not human emission, they can publish a groundbreaking discovery. With groundbreaking discoveries, the author gets citations (people criticizing, people agreeing, people adding to the discovery).
    Citations are the currency of the academic world. The more you have, the more successful you are (and the more likely you will end up with a tenure in a very good university)

Scientists have huge incentives to find that alternative explanation. They haven’t found it. So perhaps that explanation simply does not exist.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Just like the caravan LOL

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

but, but, but, Benghazi!