And THIS is why you may want a 3G iPad vs MyWi tethering...

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by HXGuy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I saw "may" because maybe this isn't an issue where you live but...

I took the iPad in the car today (am actually in a parking lot posting this :p ) and was very curious how the signal would be compared to my iPhone 3GS.

There is a stretch of road where my iPhone gets either very weak signal or no signal at all so I wanted to see how the iPad would handle it.

Sure enough, as I drove...the iPhone went to 1 bar, the 3G icon disappeared, the went "Searching..."... came back to an "E" for a bit longer before 3G service came back.

The iPad? SOLID through the whole stretch. Not only did it have 4 or 5 bars the whole time, but I ran the Speedtest.net App and got a consistent 1300 - 1400 Mbps download.

I was very glad to see that as a lot of places that I go to and spend a lot of time waiting (like the main post office here in Phoenix when I do a bulk mailing) my iPhone would have no signal at all and I would just sit there on a chair for 30-45+ minutes.

This also brings up another issue...the whole AT&T sucks argument seems like it's not so much that AT&T sucks but more like the iPhone sucks when it corms to signal.

2. rutiger macrumors regular

i thought that was common knowledge. plenty of people have a lot better performance on att with other phones. my experience over the years has shown that att gets worse the more densely populated the area. i live 30 miles from seattle and i very rarely drop calls. when in seattle, kirkland, bellevue areas i drop calls almost daily.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

So while you are driving, you are looking at both your iPad _AND_ your iPhone?

Do you have any idea how irresponsible you sound?

4. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Have you heard of stop lights?

If it helps you sleep better at night...I'll expand on that. The sped tests I did while at the stop light...the changing of the different signal strengths were while driving but what, you never glance anywhere else other than straight ahead of you while driving? You don't get calls on your phone where you loom at who is calling? Get off the high horse.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Nice story...you said "while I drove" and "through the whole stretch."

No, I don't allow myself to become so distracted with my phone, laptop or whatever while I drive as to be checking multiple units signal strength.

If you did this while stationary at a stop light, fine.

Regardless, I don't understand the comparison. You use your iPhone for talking and your iPad for surfing. So how is THIS why anyone would want a 3G iPad?

6. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

In Arizona stoplights are just suggestions. :cool:

We have the most red light runners.

7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I have no idea why you think this would make me want a 3G? :confused:

Still glad I got the wifi-only version. I've yet to go anywhere without a wifi signal.

Also? Really glad I don't live in AZ. Playing with your iPhone and iPad while driving? Yikes.

8. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

So the reason that someone would want a 3G iPad is because it got a full strength signal when it was tested while in a moving car going down a stretch of road in Arizona where the driver had a problem getting a signal on his iPhone.

Did I miss something here?

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah he read a book, ate some chili cheese fries and got a new high score on tetris too. . but since you werent driving on the same road as him you should probably mind your own business. hes not your kid stop shaking your finger at him.

@OP thats very interesting. im always struggling with service I hope the new iphone makes it better.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

agree...its pathetic..

inmature and dangerous

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Meh.. Wifi is fine by me. AT&T gets enough money from me. If I need a signal and there is no wifi I can use my trusty cradlepoint phs300 an USB air card to connect to the Internet.

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Oprah judges you. In all seriousness though, your original post did come off a little sketchy.

13. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

My title wasn't clear enough...figured people would make the connection.

I edited it...this was a comparison of why I think the 3G iPad is better, in my situation, then a Wifi model + MyWi tethering.

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

One possibility for the improved performance may not be half so much in the iPhone not performing because it is a bad receiver, but may have to do with that LARGE black plastic strip across the top of the iPad. Under that is the antenna needed for 3G reception in the unit. Notice how LARGE it is?

"My Grandma, what a LARGE antenna you have".

"All the better to pick up 3G signals with dearie".

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

he posts its on a forum... anyone can comment.

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

bunch of nannies ...............

automatically assuming the OP is driving along, ipad in one hand, iphone in the other, blocking his view, while driving with his knee, windows open, radio blasting, highbeams, wipers going full blast ....... and a blinker on

:rolleyes:

edit: crakd and I are on the same wavelength

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The word is "than" but good luck with everything.

18. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah and added absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. Only posted to talk down to the OP.

19. theman510 macrumors 6502

Still not worth $360 per year for a few spots of better coverage

20. murphyrulez macrumors member

ftfy....

21. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

right, and half the apps dont work with 3G or have horrible data restrictions.

Ill keep myWi and save myself a crapload of money

22. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Posting anything in regards to why the 3G is better then the wifi will get all the little girls coming out of the closet trying to defend themselves as to why they are much happier with there wifi only iPad, but in reality there jealous, jumped the gun to soon and can't sell there wifi or just can't afford it...i tried to avoid posts like this but in all reality, horrible signal or not, the 3G model offers more then the wifi version ( mobile Internet and gps ) so enough crying wifi owners, deal with your mistakes and move along...

Hahahaha, now flame me!!!!!!

23. Yzord macrumors member

Yzord

24. p-rice macrumors regular

To those that have had both the wifi and 3g models, are you having better wifi reception on your 3g than you did on your wifi-only iPad?

25. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I can believe that. I guess that probably contributed to the "crackdown" out there.

BOT:

I would hope it gets a better signal with a bigger antenna

girl stahp. If I like I buy.