And to those who said the iPhone won't sell out.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Jul 11, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

2. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Cincinnati still has tons...it's activation that's the problem. I stopped by at 2pm and there was a 5 hour wait (their estimate). The reason? Activations were taking forever. So, no. Don't feel vindicated. Everyone knew the phone stores would, just as they did last year. Apple seems to have tons.

4. hollaforadolla macrumors newbie

yes i would like to know. i would also like to know the point of the first post beyond taunting forum users.

5. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Considering only a few countries (not the US) have sold out and only due to LACK of units - the people who said it wouldn't sell out are so far right arn't they mate?

6. alexplank macrumors member

many of the US stores have sold out of phones.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Which stores??? ATT or Apple?

It seems clear that Apple Stores have ample stock, but each ATT store had less than 50 to sell, and sometimes less than that. I guess ATT still is the beeotch in this relationship despite appearances. :)

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well most of the AT&T stores sold out. But I think the Apple stores are going strong with stock (mostly).

What was more humorous were those who were mocking those going early and saying they were going to show up at 8 and be gone by 8:30. I bet they were dissapointed. :)

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I talked to people in line at a couple of AT&T stores this morning. The people at the end of the line didn't expect to get an iPhone, based on the expected inventory, but they were holding out for a chance of getting one anyway.

11. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

There were something like 70 phones at the att store I went to. There were 250 people in line, the ones past the limit were waiting to make a "ship to store" backorder.

So yeah, they sold out. Big time. People camped out all night at the apple store.

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

didn't people learn from last year that at&t sells out quickly and apple stores have ample stock? i understand if at&t is your only option, but if you have an apple retail store nearby, you should definitely have gone there.

13. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

It was the same as last time. AT&T stores sold out first day, but Apple stores had them through the weekend.

Also the activation was bogged down.

14. alexplank macrumors member

I went to AT&T at 5:30 and got out with my iPhone by 10. The line at the local apple store still has people waiting who were there earlier than 5:30. Unlike Apple, AT&T didn't make me wait to activate the phone which would have delayed things for at least another hour or 2.

The majority of people at AT&T got there between six and 8:05. I asked AT&T when I should be there to get an iPhone. They said 4 or 5 so I'm lucky I got one and wonder what the people who showed up at 8 were thinking.

15. steveapp macrumors member

For what its worth in the UK we are completely sold out and were after 5 hours, the online orders took about 3 hours to sell out earlier in the week.

That said I was going to queue up outside a local shop but took the online order gamble instead, seems I could have walked into the shop anytime this morning and bought over the counter.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The Apple store that I bought mine at will sell out easily in a few more hours. They had 25 white iPhones and about 100 black 8GB and about 50 16GB black,

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

yep. apple told me its a 2-3 hour wait to get your iphone. :eek: but, if you really want one, its better than the 5-10 day wait at&t told me it would be now that they have sold out and offered to order one for me. so, wait a long time and be guaranteed a phone? or get to at&t at the asscrack of dawn and hope you are at the front of the line.

;)

18. matt550 macrumors 6502

Apple store by me sold out of 16gb like an hour ago, and its a 2 1/2 hour wait for an 8gb and not many left the guy just told me on the phone. I will just go down there tomorrow around 6-7am and get one then, If they get more in tonight that is.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All AT&T stores in my area only had about 40 as well. Technically, they sold all of them so they sold out on them.

20. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I think with all the potential activation, upgrade concerns, more people than usual opted for going to AT&T stores this time around..

If the iPhone activation was similar to last years, I most certainly would have went to an Apple store instead of AT&T, but because of the FAN discount I wanted to play it safe and hit AT&T..

Apple stores down here have plenty of stock...

21. lorinserbenz macrumors newbie

The only stores selling out are ones located in MAJOR cities..

In Tampa the Apple Store has a crapload, they just can't activate them.
    Some of the At&T stores sold out but they only had 40-60 phones.

You would think with WELL over a month to prepare Apple could get this launch right...
    The smart thing would have been to stagger US/Europe launches. Whomever dreamed up this fiasco should be fired.

22. dnguyen macrumors regular

So most ATT stores are sold out of iphones, due to lack of supply. I wish I were able to get my iphone from the apple store but i can't because i have a FAN #, AND am only an authorized user not account holder...

I feel like i should be angry, but i'm not

23. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Oh really? I live in a small city right by the Tex-Mex border that most Texans have never heard of, and is unknown in the rest of the country. My only choise was an ATT store, as the closest Apple store is 4 1/2 hours away. That's each way, not round trip. My ATT store had 40 phones and sold out by 9:45. I happened to snag one of the very last phones because I got there by 7:15 and was number 30-soemthing in line. I had previously expressed my concern about the ATT stores here selling out, and was repeatedly condescended to in these forums that of course there would be plenty of phones to be had. They could easily haveold 100 phones is orning.

24. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

if the apple store by me sells out of them today, does that mean there will be none tomorrow, or are they saving a certain number/allocation for Saturday? Thanks in advance for your help!

25. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Their not allowed to hold any of them since it's first-come first-serve. But I called 2 of my local Apple Stores and they told me that they are going to get daily shipments in the morning, so they should hopefully have them by tomorrow morning.