Andrew Jackson could have averted the American Civil War

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Why was there a Civil War in the United States? It could have easily been averted. But only if Andrew Jackson had been in charge at the time. This info provided to us by one Donald J Trump:

I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, “There's no reason for this.” People don't realize, you know, the Civil War — if you think about it, why? People don't ask that question, but why was there a Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?​

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/859020505034231809

(Note: it would have been very tough for Andrew Jackson to have commented about the Civil War, as he died more than a decade before it began.)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Why was there a Civil War in the United States? It could have easily been averted. But only if Andrew Jackson had been in charge at the time. This info provided to us by one Donald J Trump:

I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, “There's no reason for this.” People don't realize, you know, the Civil War — if you think about it, why? People don't ask that question, but why was there a Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?​

(Note: it would have been very tough for Andrew Jackson to have commented about the Civil War, as he died more than a decade before it began.)
So, now, under Mr Trump, not only do we have alternative facts, and, indeed, alternative fictions, but it appears that we also have an alternative history?

Fascinating.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Sure Donnie, a man who's wealth was primarily built on the backs of slaves would have been in favor of the concessions necessary to avoid the civil war. Yeesh.

I'm not really sure what to make of this actually. His propensity to minimize serious problems is stupefyingly naive, but it also shows some optimism to a certain extent.
It also shows a complete and stupefying ignorance of the facts, and how (and why) facts might be relevant when trying to arrive at an understanding of a situation, challenge, issue or problem.

Nefilim

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Zin & co are just laughing at you silly lefties getting hung up on irrelevant details and semantics ;-) . (Not that they have any other way to explain their completely hilarious and ignorant mindset)

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

Instead, Andrew Jackson was arguably responsible for the biggest genocide this country has ever participated in.

BL.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado

Trump is such an ignoramus, he makes George Dubya look like a genius.

(above) I remember the day of September 11, that morning President Dubya was still having difficulty reading a children's book to 2nd graders while the World Trade Center was in flames.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Zin & co are just laughing at you silly lefties getting hung up on irrelevant details and semantics ;-) . (Not that they have any other way to explain their completely hilarious and ignorant mindset)
Well, as a professional historian, what some term "irrelevant details" are what I would describe as facts. And - facts matter.

In history, something either happened or it didn't. We can debate the how, and the why - (the questions governing 'the what, the who, the when and the where' are usually easily enough answered and are rarely a subject of debate) - but to attempt to ludicrously argue that something that couldn't possibly have happened did happen - as Mr Trump did - tells us that Mr Trump is either uninformed, (possible), intellectually stupid (also possible), delusional (very possible), and/or couldn't care less, (very very possible) as the world he lives in offers him his own truth, and his aim is to remake the real world to mirror the madness in his mind.

Breaking news: Andrew Jackson knew the future, but was helpless to stop it, despite his best efforts! This update on events provided to us, again, by one Donald J Trump:

President Andrew Jackson, who died 16 years before the Civil War started, saw it coming and was angry. Would never have let it happen!​

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/859209801175269376?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
A man so triumphantly ignorant of historic facts ought to be a cause for some concern. Not out of respect for the nation's history (though that matters) but because of what it reveals about his fidelity to facts generally.

If facts don't fit, re-make the world, seems to be the Trump mantra; this is - or ought to be - a source of some worry.

(above) I remember the day of September 11, that morning President Dubya was still having difficulty reading a children's book to 2nd graders while the World Trade Center was in flames.
I will not say that I forgive George W Bush everything - I don't, - but context matters, and when one compares and contrasts the pair, the results can be illuminating and redound very much to the credit of George W Bush.

To his interlocutors, the man was courteous, and invariably affable.

He was not personally corrupt.

People who have met him tended to like him, as did his own staff - few bailed - or were fired - in odd circumstances in the Bush years. He listened to and respected his advisors (even if they weren't always right).

And yes, family relationships within the Bush family did not tend to resemble the embarrassing spectacle of a madder episode of the Addams Family.

However, leaving aside all that - and it is considerable, and - tellingly, - none of it applies to the narcissistic vulgarian who currently occupies the White House - the very fact that he would - memorably - describe actions taken by the Trump Presidency as "this is some weird ****" is simply wonderful.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Dubya was... well, Dubya.
But on that day, that guy didn't storm out of the room to be protected as many leaders would've done. He didn't show panic in front of the camera. He was calm, and trusted his advisors, and then he wanted to go to DC but Secret Service stopped him.
That was a difficult day, and he handled it well except for looney conspiracy theorists.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Breaking news: Andrew Jackson knew the future, but was helpless to stop it, despite his best efforts! This update on events provided to us, again, by one Donald J Trump:

President Andrew Jackson, who died 16 years before the Civil War started, saw it coming and was angry. Would never have let it happen!​

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/859209801175269376?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
I mean, Trump does have a point. If Andrew Jackson was president 30-40 years later, he certainly would have prevented the Civil War by forcing a compromise. Just think! We could still have some form of slavery here in the South!

:eek::rolleyes::(

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I mean, Trump does have a point. If Andrew Jackson was president 30-40 years later, he certainly would have prevented the Civil War by forcing a compromise. Just think! We could still have some form of slavery here in the South!

Would they be forced to guard the wall?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

And, to be honest, the trigger for the Civil War was due to a candidate from the new "radical" Republican party winning the presidency, which advocated total abolition. The southern states would never have seceded in the first place had the new president been a slave-owner like Jackson.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Next thing you know, the GOP will hold dinners honoring Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson.

JMacHack

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2017
The Civil War was an inevitability, there's nobody who could've stopped it. Slavery was the unanswered question from the founding of the U.S., and even at the start the North was heavily abolitionist while the South was dependent on it.
All the "compromises" that led up to that point were just to keep the United States together, and even then stuff like the 3/5s compromise only postponed the inevitable.

The only one who could've possibly prevented it was Thomas Jefferson, but as soon as the Louisiana Purchase was done the Civil War became inevitable.

Next thing you know, the GOP will hold dinners honoring Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson.
Why not honor the Founding Father that authored the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution?