Andrew Sullivan: I'm Breaking From The Right

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

On the heels of Charles Johnson's parting with the right, Andrew Sullivan offers his reasons. Pretty damning of you ask me.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

*cough* Link *cough* I didn't know who the hell he was either...

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Good riddance... nothing worse than an alleged conservative that doesn't appreciate the USA's world dominance, abuses drugs, smears Michelle Malkin, lives across the pond, mocks Christianity, believes his dad is a monkey, and wears pink shirts. Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out and over to the Hope-N-Change party...

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So is Rush Limbaugh a RINO?

Seriously? The GOP now dictates ones wardrobe?

Keep up the good work republicans, soon you'll alienate nearly the entire country and will never win an election outside the deep south again.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good luck when your membership dwindles down from 21% to 10% of the population. You guys can't afford to lose members, but I for one, think it's great. You deserve it.

He's also a multiple divorcee. Oh- and Dick Cheney supports gay marriage. I guess he's a RINO too.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sullivan was more of a Libertarian than a true "conservative." That having been said, his proclamation will be ridiculed on the far right (as they already view him as a false conservative - the far right is more worried about morality than political conservativism). However, his statements are reasonable rebukes to the "conservative" movement and when read by reasonable people (read: the center), may make them think about what Republicans have increasingly become, further alienating the far right.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Which can only be a good thing.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The irony is that the far right cannot see the relationship of fanaticism/extremism in their own ranks, yet are the first to rail against fanatical/extremist Islamics.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who they completely resemble. They cry about radical Islam while refusing to realize that they aren't that much different. It becomes even more obvious by their refusal to support a ban on divorce and not be bothered about laws mandating the killing of gay people in Uganda.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The Obama is Hitler thing is truly calling the kettle...umm...black. Fascism is a far right "-ism".

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really don't care. I think they should keep saying what they're saying- makes them look stupid and crazy. I think it's great.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Okay, now I'm sure you're screwing with us.

13. Queso macrumors G4

You don't actually know what a conservative is, do you?

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn. I had your response pegged except the smearing Michelle Malkin.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I'm sure he's serious.

16. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Wow, drink much cool aid over there?

I would describe myself as fairly conservative on some fronts, but I also have the ability to think for myself and do; I don't feel the need to toe the party line and I never will. This is exactly what is wrong with numerous members of the Republican party: either you agree with everything the party says or you must not be one of us. That is such ********. The party could use more people like Sullivan and less slaves to its' misguided ideology like you.

The religious movement, lack of real fiscal conservatism, and intolerance of different views in the Republican party are exactly what are causing it to be such a failure.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sullivan does it with peanut butter, that bastard!

Even after this?

No way. InTheNet is a sock puppet.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Congratulations on winning the Crammy Award.

The Crammies are given to the neo-con who posts the most anti-American rhetoric in the shortest amount of space.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh yeah- he's quite serious.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

So I'm sure you'd be able to cite hundreds of Christian-planted IEDs along roads that kill innocents...

So I'm sure you'd be able to cite hundreds of Christian-bombers that blow up restaurants...

So I'm sure you'd be able to cite hundreds of Christian-mass shootings where the shooter cries Jesus is Great...

So I'm sure you'd be able to cite hundreds of Christian women subjected to face coverings and routine stonings...

:rolleyes:

Oh wait... there is that peaceful Arlington home with radical power-cult Christians that object to sodomy... Oh heavens....

Kool-Aid - learn to spell...

Someone not like Andrew Sullivan?

21. Queso macrumors G4

Christians are far more obvious about the methods of death they employ. Just invade other people's countries and shoot them directly in the face.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....:rolleyes:

22. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Duh, that's noble. Remember?

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

true, those are the 4 differences between radical Islam and the radical right.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Why are people who don't contribute to conversations allowed in here? I know the mods have a hard enough job, but really all that is going to happen is InTheNet will either be banned or someone will get banned because they are sick of his BS. It's ridiculous, and everyone here sees it coming.