Android Apps > iOS Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Dec 24, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Someone told me Apps on Android are mostly free while they are paid Apps in iOS? :eek:

Can someone verify this that has both an Android and an iOS device?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Honestly, they are about the same. There are free and paid android apps, and there are free and paid iOS apps.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Why not compare yourself? Go to the Android Market website.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That's hard to answer because "more" isn't really relevant, it only matters for the apps that you'll actually use.

5. matt90036 macrumors regular

here is my comparison

price of apps ---> android <<iOS
    quality if apps ---> android <<iOS

so u get what you pay for

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have to agree and say they are about the same, the only difference I see is more stability with my iOS apps.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In addition to stability, I think iOS apps look more polished, since they were designed for the iPhone's screen - while android apps have to be displayed on a multitude of resolutions.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

This is from an Android user, and Android "fanboy".

There are more free apps on Android than iOS. And yes, similar apps probably cost a teeny bit less on Android than iOS.

With that said, the quality is much better on iOS. The apps look superior, they are much more stable, and they just have an integrated feeling with the OS.

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Had both an SGS2 and iPhone 4S last week and like fireshot91 said there are more free apps on Android but the quality is inferior to iOS'.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Out of curiosity, are apps that would normally cost money on iOS free on Android because they rely on Ads for revenue?

I know Rovio does with Angry Birds, but I'm not too familiar with Android to know the ratio of free with ads.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The only app I've seen that is free on android and paid on iOS is Angry Birds.

Most of the other multi-platform apps are either free on both or paid on both.

12. scott craft macrumors 6502a

This was my experience also.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I'll respectfully disagree with you as far as OS integration.

Apps on iOS most certainly are, and feel Sand Boxed. What I mean is, that if I install Facebook on my Android phones, it will install services that allow you to upload media from most other programs... like the photo viewer. Not so on my iPhone.

On my Android phone, if I opened the native mail client, I could say I wanted to attach a picture, and it would open up a gallery browser, and I could choose the pic I want. I can't attach anything from within the iOS mail client, I have to open up the program I want to send from......forget easy replies with attached pictures, I have to open photo viewer, copy, open email client, open email thread, paste.

As far as fit and polish, I agree.......Just one iOS users perspective.

14. kalex macrumors 65816

totally agree with you and he meant that they look pretty and uniformed not integrated. Coming from android phone to iphone 4s recently this has been the most annoying thing in switching is the lack of interoperability between apps. That and Itunes garbage

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, I did notice that difference, too. I'm much happier with iOS.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Honestly, I think that is a bigger difference than most people think it would be, and it isn't something you would notice until you have used the same apps on both OSes.

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I bought an iPad 2 back in July, while I was still using my Evo and I noticed a huge difference as soon as I searched for and installed the apps I need, like ones to monitor blood pressure and heart rate.

Added bonus, I no longer lose data, since everything syncs and I have the auto iCloud backups. My doctor now wishes all her patients used iOS.

I have a friend that's disgusted with Android, who started asking me about iOS. Rather than just try to convince him, I got my Evo back out, since it's still active on my other line and put it side by side with the iPhone and sent him pic and video examples. He's now planning to switch as soon as he's eligible for an upgrade.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The quality of some of the paid apps on the App Store is superb ... especially in the gaming genre.

Infinity Blade 2, Real Racing 2, Dead Space, GTA 3, Sonic CD, to name just a few and all for under a fiver each.

However, when it comes to free Apps, both stores have some complete dross.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No doubt. It has always been a race to the bottom. Before the App Store, mobile apps were rare and expensive - $20-50 or more. Now, prices have dropped, but there is an abundance of junk out there - for all platforms.

20. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

It's because when you're looking at a chart you can't see a number value or graph of smoothness, stability, ease of use, etc.

Also, no fragmentation.

21. nraudigy2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.5.1.23995/26.1305; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

iOS is better in both free and paid apps. You have to know that most free apps on android are themes and wallpapers. Apps are more stable and games run smoother in iOS too. Another plus for iOS is paid apps go free everyday but not for Android. You just have to use appshopper and appadvice to know which apps go free.

22. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Theres the same amount of dross apps on both devices as well as the good free and paid for ones.

Thats the fun of checking them out !

23. matttye macrumors 601

It's true.

Android apps are usually lower quality which is probably why they're free.

24. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah for iOS app advice is a really good resource I've found for sifting through options and they give really detailed and thorough explanations and reviews. Especially their app guides.

Also, can we talk about how hilarious the word "dross" is?

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Some apps do, some don't. Yeah, I have no idea on the number. But there are definitely multiple apps of the same function that can be had for cheaper/free. Even if they're not by the same maker, it performs the same function. Hope that explains it correctly.

Yupp, I meant like all the apps look like they're a part of iOS. Functionality-wise they're not a part of the OS, but they at least look like it.

On Android each developer has his own theme he can put, so they all look completely different.