Android now running on the iphone

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
thats awesome. i may even try it when/if it gets to the 3gs and has undergone some more testing. I think this will really help the android community

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i was just watching this video. I love that you can dual boot. if they ever get it ported to the 3gs and full operational I would definately load it. Ive always wondered why this hasnt happened sooner. but i can imagine its a ton of work.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Having an iPhone with Android OS is like owning Lamborghini with a 4 cylinder Hyundai engine...

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Having an iPhone with Android OS is like owning Lamborghini with a 4 cylinder Hyundai engine...
HELL NO! A 4 cylinder Hyundai engine? Android OS is pretty damn good! Its not better than the iPhone OS, but it darn sure ain't bad!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Wow. This looks awesome. Once a few of the bugs get worked out I think this will be a valid alternative. It's even better than this is a dual-boot situation instead of a straight-up replacement

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i can see people booting into android for flash then booting back when their done lol. which makes you wonder if they can make this work why hasnt anyone gotten flash to work thru jailbreaking?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
IMPOSSIBLE.

Android isn't open source! Google/carriers have complete control of Android, not the people. :mad: (At least that's what I've been told here by a few people anyway) :D

Clever guy. :cool:

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
i can see people booting into android for flash then booting back when their done lol. which makes you wonder if they can make this work why hasnt anyone gotten flash to work thru jailbreaking?
Im not sure flash is really gonna work with anything below the 3GS. But yeah.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
If I could dual boot this on my phone, and teather, and do things that the iphone os cant, I would load it in a heartbeat! (as long As I can always go back to the iphone os)

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Because Adobe hasn't released Flash in any form for iPhone and they now refuse to at all.

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
so with this would it then be possible to modify your iDroid (yeah, I'm coining the term for this) just like you do with regular android handsets? or would it be a lot more complicated since its not actually a supported device?

Anyone got any insights into this?

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
That thud you just heard was Steve Jobs fainting :p

Not sure about this. He didnt show the Android market at all. Wonder if you can access it and download apps from the market. Also didnt say if Google maps and navigation work. Those would be the two biggest things IMO.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Awesome. I was just looking around a few days ago to see whether anyone had ported Android yet. I like the look of this :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

paolo- said:
ChazUK said:
IMPOSSIBLE.

Android isn't open source! Google/carriers have complete control of Android, not the people. :mad: (At least that's what I've been told here by a few people anyway) :D

Clever guy. :cool:

http://source.android.com/download

help yourself.
You missed the sarcasm. ;)

I've has people tell me here that Android is no ore open than iPhone OS and that my perception of Android's openness is flawed.

This should shut those people up aplenty. :D Of course I know how open Android is. Androidx86 project, AOSP and all the custom ROM's I've used prove that.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
i can see people booting into android for flash then booting back when their done lol.
Unfortunately Adobe has stated that their upcoming mobile Flash plugin will only run on Android 2.1 or higher, and this video shows Android 1.6 at the absolute highest. I'm no coder, so I don't know exactly how hard it would be to port 2.1 to the iPhone 2G, but even if they managed it, it would definitely be in "pushing the limitations of the hardware" territory. The 3GS, on the other hand, could probably handle 2.1 with no problem, but that's obviously a much more complicated project (which they point out on the blog).

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
forgive me for being blunt (never used an android!), what are the benefits of having the android OS on the iphone (other than being another smart phone OS platform!)?
Um, for anyone who's ever wanted to try out Android but didn't want to break their AT&T contract and buy a new phone?

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Um, for anyone who's ever wanted to try out Android but didn't want to break their AT&T contract and buy a new phone?
i wouldn't know anything about AT&T contracts...

i was thinking along the lines of the functionality of the andriod OS compared to the iphone OS (as i did mention i haven't used an andriod phone!). is it better or worse, can you still play music, sync your existing contacts details from itunes etc...