Android to apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ta0jin, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

As the title says, Im currently on android right now (galaxy s 2) and I've been toying with the idea of trying apple out. I like android but it drives me crazy that it's so fragmented and phones come out so fast that it's hard to keep up! My concerns are if I purchase an 4S is how long till the "phone 5 ..... err 6" comes out? I dont want to purchase it only to find out a new model is coming soon. also now that I'm used to using a 4.5 inch display will I be able to go to a 3.5 display? Are there any users out there who have switched from android?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There are plenty of us and quite a few posts on this, already.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

When the time came for me to replace my iPhone 4, I had the choice of using the Galaxy S II or some other Android "super phone" instead of an iPhone 4S.

Why I Stayed Apple:

1) Battery life. Apparently Android phones require you to purchase more replaceable batteries or to use a fat battery case. I wish to do neither of those things.

2) The "new" factor: I like having the latest things. That is probably why I drop $600 every year to buy a new iPhone. Unfortunately, with Android, the distinction of being the "best" or "newest" is rapidly becoming meaningless. Just look at the recent slew of Android phones. Bionic, Razr, Stratosphere, Galaxy Nexus, Skyrocket, and Rebound (I think?). Which is newest? I don't know. Which is fastest? The benchmarks are astoundingly different and inconsistent. One device might have a faster Linpack score but a slower SunSpider score for a random reason. With the iPhone, you know that you are getting the fastest performance of all smartphones, and that you are always up to date.

4. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

to go with the screen, use a small flip phone for a week then go to the iphone.

the iphone will look huge

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No one knows when the next iPhone is coming out exactly. If you are worried about it coming out soon just stick with your GS2 til the new one comes out and give it a try.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

Though if that is the type of thing you are worried about, now is the time to purchase an iPhone. Considering they just released one it will probably be a while before the next one comes out. I don't think Apple has ever released an upgrade in less than 11 months. There is always the possibility that Apple will release a new phone in the summer, but I think they will wait until October again. Or they could release a new iPhone for Christmas. Noone knows.

7. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Go to a store that carries the iphone, and play with it. Then you will know if the screen is to small.

I would guess you ave 10-12 months till next iPhone so if you want to change, change now.

8. BoxerGT2.5, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The 3.5in screen will be hard. It will look like a OG gameboy compared to 4.3 or 4.5in screens.

Obsessing over always having the "newest" is idiotic and isn't hard with Apple since they release what would be a new phone every 2-3yrs. Let's be honest, the "s's" are what the phone should be from the get go. Bottom line is you want a phone you like, it doesn't matter when it was released.

9. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

How is this even relevant? What do other phones have to do with YOU and YOUR phone? You buy the best phone (by your own approximation) and you use that until you want to/ can afford to upgrade again. You have the GSII, which is a great phone. Assuming it handles all of your needs, what difference does it make if new phones come out? Your phone isn't going to be any less useful.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. I went from having phones that where 4.3" to the 3.5" and I have not had a problem with it at all.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Are you saying there aren't those who don't have the issue?

12. juswest macrumors regular

It's all a mind game on the new thing. Next year there will be a new iPhone. Just get the phone you want and be happy. There's always something new. Just be happy.

13. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

No I am saying that it is not an issue to everybody. It is all personal preference.

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

In other words, you are someone who always wants to have the newest device available? Is there any particular reason why you feel this way, other than for vanity?

If you have legitimate concerns about the difference in user experience, as someone who was on Android for a while and then tried out the iPhone 4S, these were some of the things that frustrated me about the switch:

- no 4G LTE
    - no LED notifications (LED notification light ≠ LED flash, in case anyone reading this is thinking that)
    - nothing comparable to Android's free Google Navigation (tried Waze, but it often gave strange out-of-the-way directions and can't avoid tolls)
    - no free wireless tethering
    - inability to install non-Market apps
    - poor Gmail integration
    - no physical keyboard
    - no home screen widgets
    - aesthetic form factor, but way too delicate

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think it is a legitimate concern. Apple releases one phone a year and stands behind their product. Other manufacturers seem to be constantly churning out new phones. Samsung releases the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket a month after the GS2 is available in the US. Motorola releases the Droid 4 a full 4 months after the Droid 3. With Apple sticking to one phone I have a feeling they have more of an incentive to get it right.