Android to iPhone5 (or 4 or 4s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scorpio333, Sep 17, 2012.

1. scorpio333 macrumors member

I've been a Mac user for years, just now getting around to getting an iPhone. I've got huge hands, so the bigger screen sold me. I would've upgraded long ago if the 4's were bigger. Also getting tired of the "fractured" nature of Android in general, this phone gets the newest OS while others don't and it's just too much like Linux or Windows IMO in that regard, but that's a discussion for somewhere else.

Having said that, any other Android users that either went to an iPhone 4 or are waiting for their 5 want to chime in on how they made or plan to make the transition? Transferring txts, contacts, etc, etc... Might be a nice change of pace from "my MF'ing phone isn't shipping" or "where's my tracking#" stuff.

2. andross77 macrumors regular

Transition was easy when I made it last year (back to Android now). I don't care about text message threads, just started all new ones. So sorry, can't help there. With contacts, all mine are in my GMAIL account so that was easy to sync up on iphone and had all of them instantly. I bought a crap load of apps in the ios store cause i'm not a cheapskate so i was all set there as well :)

Transitions are soooo easy nowadays with smartphones. I have not had to take my phone in to a wireless store to get them to transfer contacts or whatever since maybe 2002 =)

3. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Sold my 4s and pre ordered iPhone 5 on launch day I also have latest iMac, and iPad 3 but as my phone i'm using Samsung GS 3 only until my 5 comes from Apple Oct 1st or before!! miss the os already,

To be fair the GS3 is not that bad but as i don't know my way around its frustrating, Ive picked up the last few days though.

As for transferring contacts etc. I wont have to as i have a back up of my iPhone, so can't help you there.
    Personally feel you'll love the Apple experience I don't have noting bad to say about Android either.seems decent. I just prefer iOS really

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Texts: Unlikely possible. On Android you could likely use an app to back them up to your computer for referencing later on.

Contacts/Calendars: Enable google sync on your iPhone (google this, Google has instructions because it's not as easy as iCloud) which will sync your Google items. Turn off Google sync, but leave a copy of the data on your iOS device. Then, enable iCloud and then merge it into your new iCloud account. Voila.

Amen to the bolded quote ;)

5. scorpio333 thread starter macrumors member

I 'accidently' wiped my txt messages out a few days ago, so it's not really a concern to me, but could be to others. The phone feels about 3.9 oz lighter without the txt's. ;)

I'm actually looking forward to the growing pains of switching. Reminds me of getting that first Mac and how it was cool discovering new tricks.

6. Scott006 macrumors member

I'm an android user, currently have a galaxy s2 and have pre ordered the iphone 5.

I don't think the iphone is any better than my galaxy or other top end android phones, but I want to upgrade and androids are just too similar. When I pay hundreds of pounds I like to notice real change, another android wouldn't feel very different.
    I plan to rotate my upgrades in the future between iOS, android.. and maybe even windows phone! (The lumia really impressed me, although it's design and thickness are too off putting in the current version).

This way I will hopefully be able to enjoy the best points of every OS and not get "bored" of my very expensive smart phone! :D