Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I think with iOS 8+ iPhone 6, Apple may have someone coming back to the fold.

I think they will have a lot of converts. Why did you leave iOS to begin with? What was the attraction to Android? I have waffled between platforms in the past, and I'm curious...

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I think they will have a lot of converts. Why did you leave iOS to begin with? What was the attraction to Android? I have waffled between platforms in the past, and I'm curious...

The bigger screen of the Nexus 4 was and still is beautiful to me, the freedom to change keyboards was a big thing and swipe to type is an amazing feature.

Having any kind of file accessible was also helpful and iCloud Drive seems to have helped that.

For me the Nexus 4 also gave me better battery life than my iPhone 4S.

iOS 8 has addressed many of my concerns and if I can get enough money from the job I will be starting soon, I shall be owning an iPhone 6.

I already have a late 2013 rMBP so continuity is another big thing.

----------

Pretty cool to see Android people coming back!

Welcome back to the family :apple:

No really though, I know a few friends too that are planning on getting an iPhone.

There, of course, is chance if I am not impressed I may stick with my phone and upgrade to a newer Android phone.

Biggs91276

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I've always been a iPhone guy but switched over to android and have the lg g3 at the moment but will be very glad to come back to iOS and the new iPhone 6!!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I feel the same way. Most hyped since the iPhone 4.

I was pretty excited for the 5 but disappointed overall. I think the 6 will offer much more new functionality (NFC, Health, HomeKit, etc) than the 5 did.

Very excited! :D

:apple:

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I left iPhone for a Galaxy S3 two years ago because I wanted a bigger screen, Swype-style keyboard, haptic feedback, and the ability to root and flash ROMS.

I enjoyed all of that for awhile, but now with Android becoming more locked down (root a Samsung Galaxy S4/S5 and you trip an e-Fuse that can't be undone), and with Apple finally releasing phones with big screens (and Swype in iOS8), there's no reason to deal with Android any more.

Also got tired of "normal" things just not working -- headphones with remote/mic are quirky at best, nothing like Apple's, and random reboots with KitKat on my S3 and losing reception are pretty annoying.

The second the iPhone 6 comes out (fingers crossed for 5.5"), I'm buying.

elisamal428

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
I was also a rabid Apple fangirl who switched to Android a little more than a year ago.
I wanted a bigger screen and more freedom.
I had the nexus 4, note 3 and now htc one m8.
With more freedom comes more headaches! I am sick of little things not working the way they are supposed to and I miss the simplicity of Apple and things "just working." :)

VERY excited to get the iPhone 6!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I was also a rabid Apple fangirl who switched to Android a little more than a year ago.
I wanted a bigger screen and more freedom.
I had the nexus 4, note 3 and now htc one m8.
With more freedom comes more headaches! I am sick of little things not working the way they are supposed to and I miss the simplicity of Apple and things "just working." :)

VERY excited to get the iPhone 6!

(emphasis mine)

This is the very reason why I'll never jailbreak my iPhones. I spend all day writing code and making the high-tech world go 'round for my job, I don't need to spend all night futzing with my phone.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Note 3 user here and looking forward to the announcement tomorrow. Only thing I will miss is email attachment management and Tasker. Aside from that, let's see what Apple has to show.

iOS looks great solely based on continuity and handoffs!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nexus 5 user, here. If all these things I've read are true, the very reasons I purchased the N5 over the 5S will all be remedied. I'm just like everyone else (needed bigger screen, 'swype' keyboard, NFC.)

We also use macs in my household and my wife has a 5S. My phone is the only tech that is 'odd man out.'

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I like both platforms so I have an android on one line and an iPhone on a second line.

Put a G3 on one of the lines to see how a 5.5" display compares. Hate it as a phone. Love it as a mobile mini tablet.

I'll replace my 5s with a 4.7" iPhone for my phone needs. :)

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
my iphone 4 got stolen 2 years ago and the samsung galaxy s3 had just came out. The big screen caught my eye at first and the freedom that android had drawled me in.

its been 2 years and the s3 has been more of a headache than a joy. rouge running apps that run the battery down, freezing up several times, overall terrible battery life, and outside of the apple ecosystem.

here's the deal though: if iphone 6 doesn't impress (based on most "leaks" it hasn't been to me), i will be buying an lg g3.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
my iphone 4 got stolen 2 years ago and the samsung galaxy s3 had just came out. The big screen caught my eye at first and the freedom that android had drawled me in.

its been 2 years and the s3 has been more of a headache than a joy. rouge running apps that run the battery down, freezing up several times, overall terrible battery life, and outside of the apple ecosystem.

here's the deal though: if iphone 6 doesn't impress (based on most "leaks" it hasn't been to me), i will be buying an lg g3.
I'm sure the iPhone 4.7" will impress. There is still no word if a 5.5" exists yet with the exception of some assumptions and really high hopes.

So, it sort of depends on how long you're willing to hold out for a 5.5". A month or more if a Unicorn is unveiled tomorrow. 6 months to infinity if it isn't even mentioned tomorrow. Or a couple weeks if you are ok with a 4.7" iPhone.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I also have preferred android in the past. But with the fingerprint scanner last year, and the addition of custom keyboards this year, I may soon ditch my Nexus 5 for good.

Anybody know how long it will take Swype to get an official release out?

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I've always been a iPhone guy but switched over to android and have the lg g3 at the moment but will be very glad to come back to iOS and the new iPhone 6!!

Can you please leave an unbiased review (in short) of the LG? Just wanna know the impressions of users, not review sites. Thank you very much in forward :)

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I'm not too big into the Android OS, but I'll admit that Android powered devices are very nice looking.

I think iOS 8 will bring something to the table that will attract me towards the iPhone.

I wanted to leave, but I don't think I will any time soon. :D

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I like some Android phones, the hardware that is. But I prefer iOS, largely because Goofle isn't getting it's greedy fingers into every little detail it can track on me. So tomorrow's announcement will be very exciting IMHO.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Not one ounce of excitement here, it's gonna be the same old story. Here are these new revolutionary features that android has had for years, boring.

Except Apple won't be the ones calling it revolutionary. You Android people throw that word around way more than the company that supposedly over used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.