Android's new browser makes our Safari look dated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BearerOBadNews, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

I was doing some browsing on the web when I came across this video of the new chrome browser for android. I have to admit it looks SLICK. The tab syncing is a great use of the cloud. The whole layout is great especially the tabbed browsing. When I did some more reading I found out that Google stated that it is going to be on the same update cycle as the pc version of Chrome which is 6 weeks. DAMN! We had to wait 18 months just to get a small update to our browser and now they'll get updates every 6 weeks?! WTF. After seeing the ICS browser I already felt Safari had been left behind by the competition, but Chrome is just leaves us behind big time. Dammit Apple, update our browser already! :mad:

http://thesmartphonechamp.com/hands-on-demo-and-mini-review-of-new-chrome-browser-for-android-video/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVjw7n_U37A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ZDmpc0WyQ

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

It is slick, my neighbour is running Honeycomb 3, and his browser looks great. BUT, and it's a big but.....It lags like hell. His device is the brand new iconia Tab, with the Tegra chip.

Using it, you just feel like you're walking in glue....Bling over substance I fear.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

The browser looks great? I don't care what the browser looks like because I care about the site I'm going to. I'm not dissing it just saying as long as the web page you want shows up why does it matter which browser you're using (on a phone anyway..... on a PC I use FF.)

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

It looks good, but MG Siegler says it will need several iterations to match mobile Safari.

5. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

I think you're talking about the honeycomb browser (which is a nice browser too). I'm talking about the Chrome browser that just came out today.

By that rationale all browsers are equal then because they all display websites. Obviously that really isn't the case. Being able to sync tabs is a great feature. There have been plenty of times where something like that would have come in handy for me. Currently I have to email the links to myself to get them on the phone. It would be so nice to just be able to open the browser and have the link right there. Also the tabbed browsing is phenomenal. I'm objective enough to admit that it is VERY nice and I'd love to have something like that on my phone.

6. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It looks pretty nice, but FF is more about an open web rather than a Google web so I'd prefer not to support Google any more than I already do with my Gmail account.

Besides, we're not getting Chrome or FF any time soon so its all about Safari, and other than tabbed browsing innovations and uploading/downloading, we don't need much more than we already have with Webkit on Safari.

7. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I saw that also. Honestly he lost me when he said Safari was his "gold standard". I'd hardly call Safari a gold standard. It falls short in a few aspects..heck you can't even download and upload from the browser. That said, I totally disagree with him. As someone who has both, I will say the Safari browser isn't even close to the Chrome browser.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

That depends on what determines the "gold-standard". If it is features, then sure Safari lacks many options of Android. However, from everything I have read today, people note that Chrome is less responsive (scrolling smoothness, etc) on Android than Safari is on iOS. But that is all individual opinion. If you are happy with it and like it better, that is all that matters.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Well IMHO yeah, on a mobile device they are. Now I know they aren't "the same" but I simply don't need these features of which you speak. I don't "surf" the web on my phone. I need to go to a site, I go. I want to surf the net I'm moving on to another device. To each his own.

10. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

I'd beg to differ. Safari needs to be updated in multiple areas. I still can't believe they haven't added a way to format the text to the screen. I hate scrolling side to side on text heavy sites. I'd like to be able to upload straight from the browser, I'd like to be able to push tabs/pages to my phone, I'd like to be able to switch to the desktop version of a site from my browser (all sites don't have a desktop link). Safari is pretty much featureless. Sure it pulls up websites but it is lacking in several areas.

You're right. Safari is usable definitely, but I'd hardly call it a gold standard. It might have been in the past but those days have long gone. Our browser is stagnated and hasn't really seen an real level off innovation in quite some time. Hopefully this will push Apple to make a real step forward in the next iOS update.

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

For that you should be using Reader mode.

12. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

It's plenty responsive and is actually slightly smoother than the ICS browser which was pretty smooth itself. Objectively speaking I don't see anywhere that Chrome is outdone by Safari. I've played with them side by side and I will say there's no ostensible difference in the scrolling smoothness etc. Also, bear in mind I'm not bringing up features for the sake of bringing up features. I mention things that add to the web browsing experience. For example, the tabbed browsing is MUCH better. Being able to change tabs without ever leaving the screen makes changing tabs so seamless and effortless. Things like that make browsing the web easier and more enjoyable.

13. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

Not the same thing. What if I see a link in the article that I'd like to read also? I'd much rather have a live readable page.

14. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

When you put it that way, sure, it's featureless, but few people really need or notice that. The only thing everybody could use is uploading and the average iPhone user still wouldn't use it. Apple knows this and won't do anything about it until it's the only company that won't do it in a sea of mobile browsers.

MG Siegler is a fanboy supreme with cheese, but I think he just means in terms of rendering, scrolling, etc. If he really did believe it was overall the gold standard, he'd be worse than a fanboy, he'd be mentally handicapped.

15. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure about windows phone but I know the android browsers have been able to for some time (if not all along). I just don't see the benefit of them making the browser less equipped. It doesn't add any simplicity it just adds frustration for the times you wind up needing to do something like upload and you can't (same for downloading certain things).

LMAO. I agree with you. I don't think any objective person can honestly say Safari is the gold standard of mobile browsers. iOS is probably the gold standard when it comes to smoothness but as far as browsers are concerned I can honestly say we do not have the crown. I have no problem admitting that, though it would be nice if Apple would give us a browser that stacks up a bit better.

16. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

The problem is that Apple wants iOS to be app-centric. If you need to upload to Flickr, they want Flickr to write an app, etc. Apps mean money for them more than anything, whether its app devs paying to connect to iTunes or the ad revenue sharing they get from iAds.

If they gave iOS Safari these full capabilities, companies would just optimize their site to work with Safari and tell Apple to go **** itself.

But alas, Apple got to the mobile phone computing market in a huge way first and now they've got developers and users by the balls. They'll never make Safari powerful enough to work the way you want it to, because that just means less money for Apple.

All you can do is switch to Android, wait for Tizen, or hope Windows Phone helps to squeeze Apple into reacting competitively.

17. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

WOW! That's a very interesting perspective I hadn't considered. You really may be on to something there. I never considered that might be the driving force behind Apple providing a handicapped browser.

18. Calidude, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

And when it comes to Android, Google's sole strategy is to datamine the crap out of you with their OS, so rather than focus on 3rd party apps like Apple does, Google does its best to make sure that every built-in phone feature works the way people would like because every built-in feature is connected to Google in some way. When you use the built-in apps, you're putting your entire life on Google's cloud, and Google knows that most people will want to use the phone's built-in features first. That's why the built-in mail app for Android sucks but the Gmail app is great, for example. The mail app works with non-Google servers, so they don't give a rat's ass about that.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Google treats 3rd party apps as an afterthought to merely look like they're competing with Apple, which is why the look and feel of their apps generally suck compared to Apple's 3rd party apps.

Furthermore, Android is completely open-source not because Google is so loving and giving. It's because Google simply wants to a) get it into as many hands as possible so people can enter their lives into Google's servers b) let the countless numbers of tinkerers do the remaining stability work for them and distribute ROMs to people, who meanwhile still tend to use a Google account to get the most out of their phone.

So it comes down to this between iOS and Android, would you rather have a product that is artificially dumbed down so that you're forced to use apps to get things done and thus benefit Apple and whoever works with Apple, or would you rather have a product that has all the features you want so that all your personal info is consolidated with Google and only Google? Both companies have their agendas here.

Let me put this in further perspective. Do you really think Google isn't using that sync data between your phone and your desktop Chrome browser (syncing tabs and such) to further create a profile of you with that handy little Google account you logged into when using that feature?

The browser that is making you excited enough to make this thread is great and feature rich because there's a LOT of delicious data for Google to gobble up by attracting you to it with those shiny features.

19. Skika macrumors 68030

20. gibbz macrumors 68030

I think the tabbed browsing feature looks pretty awesome. Hopefully Safari will get this on iPhone.

21. DefBref macrumors 6502

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/feb/07/google-chrome-for-phone

Unfortunately I can't find the direct source for this quote but does seem to me its likely to happen.

22. qtaran111 macrumors member

One feature that Apple should adopt in both Safari and Mobile Safari is the unified address and search bar. I love this about Chrome.

It makes even more sense on a mobile device where screen real estate is limited.

23. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I agree with the OP. Hopefully Google could port this to iOS. Shouldn't be a problem if its webkit.

Or better yet maybe Apple will get off their a$$ and update Safari.

we will see which happens first.

24. Daveoc64, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple doesn't allow "proper" web browsers on iOS.

All you can do is wrap an interface around Safari's engine, albeit at a crippled speed for "security" reasons.

Mozilla wanted to bring Firefox to iOS, but it violates the App Store's rules:

Apps that download code in any way or form will be rejected
    Apps that install or launch other executable code will be rejected

"WebKit" means virtually nothing these days.

It's been taken by so many companies and used in so many different products that you can't compare one WebKit implementation to another.

The WebKit browser that the Amazon Kindle uses is totally different to the one that underpins the iTunes Store. Blackberry's WebKit browser is not identical to the iOS browser.

Wrapping Google Chrome's UI around the Safari WebKit would not produce a good experience.

The other problem iOS has is that there's no way to set a "Default" app, so links from Apps would still open in Safari.