Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sundog925, May 14, 2013.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

So I heard about this a couple days ago, and it seems last night/this morning, its all over the news. Apparently, she chose to have the surgery after learning that she carries the "faulty" BRCA1 gene which ballooned her chance of developing breast cancer by 87%. It also increases a woman's risk of ovarian cancer by 50%. Her mother passed from ovarian cancer.

No wonder she all but disappeared for awhile.

Do you feel like such a life altering preventative procedure like this is worth it? Or is science just hooey and she should not of done it and essentially waited and took a chance?

Men, think about your precious twins down there! Would you take a chance on 87%???

source CNN: "I decided to be proactive." -Angelina Jolie

2. rovex macrumors 65816

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

If she did go from 87% to 5%, then yes it's worth it. Why would you want to live a short life just to keep breasts?

If it's breasts or testicles, you can get implants as replacements if you are so concerned about appearances.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? :rolleyes:

5. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They're essentially the male equivalent of femininity.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, that would be your bank balance. :p

Breasts, once they've fulfilled their biological function (feeding babies) are biologically a liability. Testicles are not visible, and don't attract mates (so there goes your analogy). They do produce testosterone through the life of the male. And luckily as we age the likelihood of testicular cancer decreases, whereas in women the incidence of breast cancer increased. And as breast cancer is far less curable than testicular cancer, I'd say she made the right choice.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, they are not. A woman can have a baby without having breasts. A man can not father a child without testicles.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, in sperm could saved from before removal for artificial insemination later, like Lance Armstrong. But yes, I think you're on the right track saying that breasts=femininity, testicles=masculinity is a strained analogy at best.

9. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You guys are talking semantics.

I'm saying, breasts are to women what balls are to guys.

Functionality aside, I'm talking pure emotion.

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It seems like you could get implants to have the risk reduction and the looks as well.

P-Worm

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The statistics here are actually rather vague: does it mean that her chances of developing the cancer are 5% + 87% of 5%? Surely it can't mean that 87% of women with that gene will get cancer? That's an awfully high percentage.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Really with such a radical procedure, and something that can deeply impact ones self image (in many ways), I'm sure she did not do this lightly. Whatever her reason I wish her the best and won't bother with speculation. She's still a remarkable woman in my books.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very brave of her to do this in such a public way.

I'm seeing all kinds of stories on how her decision will help save lives. Really? How many women have a spare $3,000 lying around for genetic testing? I'm pretty sure their insurance would not cover an elective mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is highly likely that 87% of women with that allele ("version" of BRCA1 for the layman) will get breast cancer, that is not uncommon.
    But lets make it clear, all people have BRCA1. I hate it when the media try to explain something they clearly don't understand, and just increase the confusion instead.. Ask an expert please!

And the 5% just refers to the chance of getting cancer when having that allele and having had a double mastectomy performed.

I personally think it is an extremely good thing that she does this, as it puts focus on breast cancer! After all, she is a role model for many women.

It won't make much of a difference now, but in 10 years when you can go to your doctor and order your genome sequenced and checked for 100$, then it will certainly be important, that people know they can do it. But even now, spending a few 1000$ on getting to know if you have faulty genes, is a small investment for an extended life, right?

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Does the 87% chance mean 87% developing breast cancer before a certain age or before death? I wonder what the curve looks like of percent chance compared to age.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My point was that this isn't in reach of most women, not that the test isn't a good idea.

17. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

The 87% increase number doesn't seem to jive with this information from ABC.
    From 12% to 60%... that would be a 500% increase in likelihood!

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You want to talk full emotion? Here is full emotion, straightforward and blunt.

Would you take the chance of 87% going down to 5% if it means being able to have that much longer of a life with your children and family? Would you throw away the chance to see your offspring grow up just to keep your bits?

If so, your dedication to and appreciation of family leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.

BL.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The doctors estimating her risk probably took into account that her mother died of breast cancer and other elements of family/personal medical history.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Men's Rights Activist group are all pissed off cause they think they own every woman's body. nothing like a bunch of woman haters who would have trouble paying someone to have sex with them giving woman advice.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'd say that role goes more to my wang than anything.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

tmw

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If that's what you like to call it. Seems a bit extreme to me.