`Angels' to protect mourners from church protesters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, the Westboro Baptist "group" is at it again.

And Tucson responds.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now Westboro. Seriously- WTF is going on today?

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm not a man of violence, but if I lost someone dear and close to me in a senseless shooting and some bigot shows up to protest their funeral and says untrue **** about them, I really do not know if I would be able to maintain a professional demeanor. That has to take so much restraint for the victim's families and friends.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If only some brave soul was willing to take one for the team and shoot them all.:mad: they would be a hero in prison! And I'm sure the judge would take it easy on them! Anyone?...anyone?

5. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Who do you think you are. Sarah Palin??? :(

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I would beat the living piss out of them. And I wouldn't care about the consequences. These people are the ****ing scum of the earth. The rats in the sewers are better than them.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would advise you to always keep the consequences in mind.

These people are intentionally trying to antagonize you and get a reaction.

Just like in junior high, the best revenge is to not react at all.

8. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Thank God. I hope they all leave in cuffs. My God would find them to be the real sinners, and if anyone is going to burn in hell, it's them,

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I hope that they get it quickly get it passed and it should be increased to 1 mile. 300 feet is not exactly that far. I would have cops present that if they set 1 in inside that min radios arrest them on the spot and take them to jail. As soon as you grab one the rest would more than likely be dumb enough to get to close as well either trying to stop the cops or go yell and just put them all in the party wagon.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

"Arizona legislators, who are aiming to make it against the law to protest within 300 feet of any funeral, starting one hour before the event and lasting until one hour after services conclude."

Or maybe just make the law permanent and make is 5280 feet(1 mile). And then make it a nationwide law. Sounds like a much better idea to me.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, 300' is not far at all. I can see the little buggers hiring a hot air balloon and hovering overhead. And they'd have no trouble keeping it buoyantly full, either :D

I'd ban them from the state. Public health grounds.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It would be sweet to see a couple guys open up on them with Paintball guns ... yellow paint :cool:

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Ignoring them pisses them off, but mainstream mockery makes them furious. The worst thing for anyone is to feel they have the most important message in the world and that instead of anyone valuing it, they are the laughing stock of society and the world thinks that they are the village idiots. When you bring someone out only to laugh at them, it is detrimental to their morale.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In these cases, that is not true, they revel in the persecution and see it as validation of their message and mission

As stated above, indifference is the way to handle them
    They relish the spotlight and the controversy, that is why they seek it out
    Deeming them irrelevant and not even worthy of notice is what they cannot tolerate

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Ignoring someone does work, but deeming someone so ridiculous that it is FUN to mock them also does work. People, even as messed up as them, cannot psychologically take the feeling of being deemed: stupid, senseless, idiotic, mockable, welcomed for mockery, etc. Initially people get excited about their 5 minutes of fame, but it quickly goes away as they realize that the whole world is laughing AT you, and not with you. Keep in mind religious organizations try to manufacture consensus and expand, otherwise, they don't exist. Also, mainstream mockery will greatly discourage potential new members as your entire character will be destroyed once you are associated with them.

The other possibility it to deem them domestic terrorists, which legally speaking, can easily be done.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^^
    I personally think you underestimate their desire for persecution and ridicule... the more the better
    They thrive on "them against the world"

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I may be, but if you look at people like serial killers, they almost all have extreme psychological dysfunction as defined by the larger whole of society. Probably the most extreme cause of deviance is borderline personality disorder. The DSM-IV (tr) goes into this in more detail and I'll try not to get too textbook here. People with extreme dysfunction want to do something different than the greater whole, but either will or will over time want acceptance to at least some degree of what they do. People with BPD become enraged when they are both ignored and/or mocked. They want to be famous, but they want to be famous for specific things (such as stopping the DADT repeal). If they are remembered differently (ex: helping the DADT repeal by showing how ridiculous the law is), then they become upset. The people in this organization feel victimized, alienated, discriminated against, and overlooked. They also however, feel that they are right in their cause. If they create a situation in which their cause is less accepted from when they started, it eventually kills the drive to continue. Also, you can 'use' these people to make a counter-cause drive by the society as a whole. If you do this, you need a counter cause that will not increase drive. For example, I could argue that people who display these symptoms are mentally ill and incapable of functioning correctly, and that it is not their fault that they act the way they do. Also, people with this level of disturbance are a threat to society and other persons and need to be institutionalized. I am in essence taking a social problem, and turning it into a health issue, which they cannot attach to helping their cause and arguing that it is not their fault and it is a health issue undermines everything they work/stand for. It also makes them a complete level of neutral, neither good nor bad, just ill.

And I honestly do believe that it is not all their fault, as certain psychological illnesses do drive people to do terrible and thoughtless things. I also see them as a threat of potential harm to themselves and others and I do believe that they need to be institutionalized or at least get outpatient treatment. Sooner or later, they are going to get themselves killed by the extreme provoking of normal functioning people, or they are going to kill someone themselves (ex: cult sacrifices).

20. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

So they want to disturb the funeral of the little girl, because the family is Roman Catholic?? WTF is wrong with those people? :confused: :mad: Maybe I take it too personal because I am a RC too.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I wish everyone would just agree to stop calling them a church. I think it would harm their message more than most anything else could. This isn't even really a cult, though it most closely resembles one. It's really a family of bigots who are chosen to use their hatred, along with an understanding of the law and a willingness to twist it to their purpose, as an opportunity to both make money and gain notoriety (or infamy).

I'm a right-wing, conservative, pro-life Christian, and I bet I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from punching one of these characters in the face if they protested at any funeral I was around. I might manage to restrain myself by remembering they would just sue me and use that money to spread more hatred and anger, but it would be a close call.

jW