Angry at AT&T throttle! Switch to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cinetic, May 15, 2012.

1. cinetic macrumors newbie

So I restored my iPhone to 5.1.1 in an effort to get a clean install, and hopefully speed things up (which it did), BUT I reinstalled Rdio and left 3G syncing on. I woke up the next morning to a warning from AT&T saying I was about to go over 3GB of usage. Sure enough, I had gone to like 3.1 GB... my data speeds were fine that day, but then the next morning web pages were slow to load, and my Rdio was timing out. Sure enough, I was spanked by the AT&T throttle. :(

This really really annoys me because I have "unlimited data" and I do use about 2.5-4 GB every month, even though I am on wifi frequently. I wish there was something I could do, and the only avenue out I see is switching to Verizon who has slightly worse coverage at home, but with the LTE iPhone coming... and getting unlimited LTE through VZW versus the 5GB LTE cap on AT&T... it's pretty appealing. Oh and yes, I can get an unlimited VZW plan, but I'd have to pay the ETF on AT&T and be stuck with a 3G VZW iPhone for a few months at slow speeds.

And who knows - VZW might throttle the grandfathered LTE customers down the road anyway!

Hmmm! What to do... I should probably just use my phone less anyway! :D and sync all my music on wifi then call it a day.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Unless you already have a Verizon line that has Unlimited data, your plan is impossible. Verizon hasn't offered Unlimited Data in quite some time.

3. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

iPhone Unlimited

I'm with you it sucks and we paid for the unlimited and they let us sign up for unlimited after renewing so they knew what they were doing. What can you do? And really I don't want to pay 30 dollars a month just to surf and get emails, I think with my 30 dollars I should be able to stream some movies and stream podcast but one movie can be over a gig easily.

I did the same thing pretty much like you except my wifi kicked me off and I didn't know so I download a bunch of video podcast. There went my month pretty much in one day. Yes I could have prevented it by not letting podcast download over 3G but sometimes I do download the audio only ones over 3g on purpose, so I leave the setting on.

4. cinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a Verizon account with an Android a few months ago, had unlimited data... I could likely get it back. But again, I KNOW it will be more money per month, and a 3G VZW iPhone is sloooowwww all the time, versus the AT&T cap every once in a while.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You should probably switch to AT&T's 3 GB plan and just expect to pay $10 extra each month you go over. I mean, you're planning on paying more to get a slower Verizon phone? Why not pay $10 more and still have a faster AT&T phone?

Once there's an LTE phone, maybe your plans should change, but I wouldn't make current changes based things that might happen sometime in the future.

6. cinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

And not to mention the $250+ ETF I'd have to pay for AT&T... I could use another 25GB worth of data on that new 3GB plan! I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon (unlike ATT) lets users transfer unlimited data (along with the customer losing their cell phone number).

So someone who doesn't need verizon unlimited will sell (yes sell) you their grandfathered unlimited and you will assume their number and their contract. The going price is around $200. If that line you are assuming is eligible for an upgrade with Verizon, the going price is around $450.

So you "can" still get Verizon unlimited data. It's going to cost you some money unless you find a really nice person who is going to leave Verizon anyways to give the line away for free.

Note the person giving up the unlimited gives up their phone number also. Verizon lets you change numbers online for free afterwards.

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You won't get that back if it's gone, kinda like your virginity once it's gone it's gone :D

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Suck it up and deal. OR change carriers. What makes you think the grass will be greener?

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If that contract has been canceled, there is no way to get it back.

The only company that offers unlimited data is Sprint, and even then, they're 4G LTE and their 3G is so slow and mediocre that's it's like you're throttled 24/7!

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend switching to Verizon. Are you on a family plan? This summer they are going to offer shared data plans for family lines, and they could possibly create an unlimited option (they did for Messaging when they announced shared messaging).

If you can bear with AT&T and you live in an area were you get AT&T 4G LTE, I would just stay on AT&T and upgrade to their highest data plan possible, as AT&T currently has the fastest performing 4G Network (Verizon has the 2nd fastest performing 4G network. Sprint 3rd, and T-Mobile's "4G" which isn't 4G but just false advertising, is the worst and slowest).

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

VZW unlimited is really 5 GB a month, so you can probably buy that for a lot more expensive now.

12. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

False, As of today Verizon unlimited 4G LTE is 100% unlimited not throttled or anything. That may change though once the iPhone 5 LTE arrives.

13. cinetic thread starter macrumors newbie

And now with the Verizon news today... I'll probably stay put on AT&Throttle.

14. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

exactly..and this is the very reason for this announcement..The iphone 5 will no doubt be the best selling phone of all time and will consume huge amounts of data...

15. nizmoz macrumors 65816

You can't get it back. The loop hole was closed 2 months ago and no one has been successful on getting it. I was on Verizon with unlimited as well and coming back to AT&T.