Animal Cruelty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A circus in China was reported to having tied a sick endangered tiger to a table so people could pay to get their pictures taken riding the tiger. It's amazing how cruel some people can treat animals.

What they did to the tiger was bad but there are far worse. What is the worst case of animal cruelty that you have seen and why do you think it happens ?

Another recent report of animal cruelty is that a Denver mounted policeman forgot to feed and water his horse and the horse died.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That cop only got docked a days vacation. :rolleyes:

Animal cruelty happens because some people are broken individuals that do not belong into society.

3. Raid, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Probably the most common is underfed horses. I don't know if it's willful or just from ignorance. Obama's economy has had people trailer their "pet" horse to adjacent counties--and even adjacent states--and turn them loose to survive as best they can. Many of these wind up in Mexico, made into horse meat.

Turning a dog loose in the country, forcing it to go feral, commonly gets the dog shot. To a lesser extent, the same goes for housecats, although then the normal feral behavior is rough on song birds, quail and rabbits.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

man you can't even keep politics out of this. so Obama caused people to buy horse then not take care of this? did he cause dogs to overbreed too pitbulls to attack?

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'd like to see the U.S. Special Forces roam across Africa and summarily execute every elephant, rhino, and gorilla poacher they find. Every one.

7. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

wow, this comment really showcases your love for animals and animal rights! bravo!!

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

People, especially those in big cities, don't animals as equal beings I think. They just see them as things that belong in zoos or pets. Something to occupy their time.

Personally, I find all life to be very important. I refuse to have pets or even real flowers.

I'm weird though.

9. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

what an ignorant comment

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It was my opinion. Call it whatever you like as you also have the freedom of opinion.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Across Asia as a whole what we'd consider animal cruelty in the West, its just standard life.

For anyone who uses tinder in the UK, its not like there isn't a shortage of people happily posing with drugged up Tigers, I'd bet its the same in the US too.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

steve knight, our horrible economy has caused many changes in behavior--including treatment of horses, since they became unaffordable for many. Why should Obama get a free ride for what his policies have been a major part of the problem? Did you ever cut slack for Bush's stupidity?

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

Obama causes people to mistreat animals, and not peoples lack of responsibility.

Now thats reaching.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

sim667, pointing out the economic reason is not reaching. Noting a contributory cause of the economic ill is also not reaching.

Could it be that you believe that economic ups and downs "just happen", without cause? No causality from people in positions of high authority?

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You should blame the people who caused the 2008 collapse first, then apply criticism to Obama's fix.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

2008? Mostly Greenspan, coupled with Dubya's ignorance and bad advice. Regardless, The Anointed One was not competent enough to do anything about it. He not only continued Bushian policies, he enlarged upon them.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

It really is.

:rolleyes:

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

There have been a couple of these incidents, including one who left his dog in the car. However he ended up being charged. I didn't follow it to see the out come. But, this one should be held also!

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It seems as if the animals are treated as a piece of property, which I agree with. They are property that costs many thousands to train and maintain. The cost of lost taxpayer funds should be enough to bring more severe punishment than a lost vacation day.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The courts have pretty much rejected the notion of animals as property. For instance, wills in which deceased owners have requested their pets be killed so they could be buried with them have contested successfully.

All I know is that people often do things to their pets and livestock that would land me in jail if I did such things a laboratory animal. I've seen one old lady in our town walk around with a dog with a tumour the size of an orange. Perhaps she couldn't let go of her companion, but it was awful to watch an animal in that state. :(

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Another reported case of animal cruelty came out this week. A man in Florida (where else) was arrested for having a long term sexual relation with his pit bull dog. After three years, a family member finally reported it.

22. Huntn, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A very interesting view regarding broken people.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    I'd have to ask the dog if it felt abused. ;) Imo, better to classify this as some form of mental/sexual illness-disfunction, although bestiality is well documented with humans. Not implying that it's ok, by any means. My point was asking what is the best way to classify this behavior?

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

They do have teams of people in Africa that do just this.

24. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

The article said that the dog was taken to a vet and it's genitals showed signs of abuse. I'm sure the dog did not like it.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Don't forget India, they are one of the worst Elephant and Tiger abusers.