Animation student: 15inch Macbook pro vs 15 inch with Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spinningtick, Oct 21, 2013.

1. spinningtick macrumors newbie

Hello, i'm new to the forums, and this is probably a thread you've come across multiple times, but i would like some help and opinions.

I am a new University student studying Animation

Now here is the situation. I am trying to decide which of these 2 macbook pro's I want to buy. I want these to last for the long term, and I am planning to use them for internet stuff in general, but mainly Animation.

The first one is the 15inch Macbook pro 2.3GHz, I am planning to get this with the upgraded 8GB of Memory, this will cost £1350 altogether (student discount)

The second one is the 15inch Macbook pro With Retina Display 2.4GHz. As this already comes with 8GB, I have no need to upgrade, the price will be £1530 (student discount too)

Now what i'd like to know is, for an Animation student is the 15inch Retina display necessary or worth it in anyway? money is not an issue, I would simply like to know the PROs and CONs of these 2 Macbook pro's for Animation and some other things in general. Also is the retina display worth its extra £180? once again, money not much of an issue.

Thank you very much

2. james010101 macrumors newbie

With Retina:

High res display, user upgrades nonexistent.

Without Retina:

Average display, user upgradable.

Problem solved.

3. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

Don't forget about the fact that the Retina MBP is considerably thinner and lighter.

If you say money is not an issue, I would really go for the rMBP.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would definitely factor in weight as a university student. The 15" retina is lighter than the 13" non-retina.

Also if you aren't aware Apple is expected to announce a new update to the Macbook Pros during their press event tomorrow. Most sources seem to think that the retina models will get updated with the latest Intel processors but the non-retina models will not.

5. leman macrumors 604

These £180 bring you - higher resolution and a dupe-crisp display, faster storage and weight reduction. The only reason to take the non-retina is if you need lots of storage or a DVD drive on daily basis.