Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Anker Bumps Its Tiny Anker Nano USB-C Power Adapter Up to 20W [Updated]

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I really like your setup, I don't need 10 USB ports but a smaller 3 port hub will do. Color coding cables is a nice idea, I just believed too much in Apple cables to abandon them.
FWIW, I didn’t need 10 ports when I got it, but I find it’s better to have spares than to outgrow it and have to buy a second one - learned that lesson - there’s a 6-port adapter in the bedroom that started in the living room, until I got a 7th thing to plug in, and found myself swapping cables around again... After a bit I realized this was the problem I had originally sought to escape, and the solution was a bigger unit, rather than having multiples.

Oh, and keep in mind these are not hubs - there’s no upstream connection to a computer, and the devices can’t talk to each other as they could with a hub. It’s power only. These are, in essence, power strips, that simply have 5VDC USB sockets instead of 110VAC sockets.

That last is in part why I see Apple removing the AC adapter from the box as pretty much a non-issue - the world is moving in the direction of many devices coming with a power cord that simply plugs into a USB-A port to use the 5VDC standard rather than plugging into a wall socket to get 110VAC (or 220, etc. - USB is actually more standard in some respects, in that a single plug works worldwide).

These days, nearly everything that plugs into 110VAC isn’t using that format directly, instead they’re converting it to DC and stepping it down to some much lower voltage - often 5V. You can find a lot of wall socket and power strip designs these days that include 5V USB sockets because of this (I still trust Anker and Apple adapters more than those, for now - it’s still early in this evolution).

Comment

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just looking at the Nano, but noticed only the Powerport III Mini is available on AmazonAU. Besides the wattage, what’s the difference between the Nano & the Powerport III Mini?

Last edited:
Comment

darwiniandude

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Apple doesn’t make things larger for the sake of it. Is Apple’s design electrically safer? Can’t tell without a tear down. Does it provide cleaner power? Can’t tell without in depth testing on a scope. However, I’ve noticed that the 18W and 20W both do 5V @ 3A, and 9V @ 2A or 2.22A for the new 20W one. Do these other brands which are smaller provide both 5V and 9V output profiles? Genuine question, I’m not sure. Maybe they do. The 5V is likely needed for charging older lightning iPhones which can’t handle 9V. Is it larger because it’s two power supplies in one?

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I think Anker's charger is smaller because it utilizes "gallium nitride" - that's why a lot of these chargers are shrinking like crazy. That said, having tried several of these "GAN" chargers, they get REALLY ... REALLY hot. While their size is nice, the heat is a bit of a worry for me especially for a new technology. Never had a problem with the 2 GAN chargers I have (Anker) but they can get REALLY warm to the point where they're putting off a "I'm warm" scent (not melted plastic but ... definitely a warm smell).

I much prefer Apple's chargers because of their stability, the fact that they often output more power than their rating, and their reliability. The negativity is their cost, size, and inability to fold the prongs.

While I'm sure the charging profiles have something to do with it (PD 1,2,3) - I'm ill educated in these areas.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.