Ann Coulter voting for Hilary?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So I heard a radio interview with Ann Coulter who very sincerely said she was going to support Hilary Clinton in the election and plans to vote for her instead of McCain if they're the two nominees.

Does anyone know anymore on this?

At first, I couldn't believe it, but as I said - she was very sincere, made it clear she was not joking, gave about a dozen reasons she can't stand McCain and it was almost like some strange alternate reality - Coulter supporting Clinton!

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Does this help or hurt Hillary? I can see myself thinking, "I can't possibly think that voting for the same person as Coulter is sane!" Could a Coulter endorsement hurt the Dems?

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I was thinking that, as well.

It's almost like a paradox.

But think about it - the majority of Clinton backers are probably the exact folks who can't stand Ann Coulter. It must drive them crazy to see her saying Clinton would make the best president.

I know most of the far right republicans (the Dr. Lauras, Rush Limbaughs and Ann Coulters of the party) were not fond of McCain, but Coulter is really taking it to a whole other level. I figured once he got the nomination, they'd suck it up and at least back him grudgingly, but she seems adamant about her hate.

I guess you can respect her for sticking to her guns ;)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Someone explain their hatred for McCain, I don't get it.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Had to fix that for you...

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The main things I hear are:

1) He's probably got the loosest immigration platform of any candidate in either party.

2) He voted against both Bush tax cuts.

3) He's pro upholding Roe v Wade.

4) He's pro stem cell research.

5) He's pro shutting down Guantanamo and giving the prisoners trials.

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm forgetting, but those are the main things about McCain that drive right-wing republicans crazy.

Of course... can't believe I didn't catch that myself!

7. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

wait does ann coulter have something against john mccain?
    honestly i think ann coulter is possessed by satan.

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Possessed by? I think she IS........

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The words "Ann Coulter" and "sincere" in the same sentence?

11. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

here's a thought. why is there an ad for ann coulter at the bottom the page when viewing this thread?
    coincidence?
    you might have to reload a time or two to get it.

12. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Plain and simple: Coulter sells more books if Clinton is elected.

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Welcome to the world of context sensitive ads from google. They've done this for a while now. So if you have a thread about balloons, for instance, you'll get ads for balloons.

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Or in this case, Satan.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

For what I've seen, I don't think much people take her seriously (who would! :rolleyes:). And those who do, at worst, will end up voting for Clinton instead of Mc Cain.

16. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

A voice of reason from Valencia. How do you feel about emigration, Juan? We need more sane people in this country. The fact that you are educated, bilingual (at least) and can think for yourself will only be held against you by one half of this country's population. I'm so proud of my country.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't know if this is Ann Coulter's position, specifically, but I have heard the idea floated by some conservatives that if the choice is between McCain and Clinton, those conservatives will vote for Clinton---the idea being that if a liberal us going to screw up the country over the next four years anyways, they might as well let the blame fall on the Democrats and not the Republicans.

18. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Please refrain from insulting the Prince of Darkness in such a way.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He doesn't tow the company line. Neither does the Huck where it really counts for them, in the pocketbook. Of course, that was before Mitt dropped out. Now she's gotta keep it up when there's no other option (forget about Paul too, he's anti-war). Maybe they thought they were relevant enough to sway things to Romney, but apparently not. Plus:

... that too.

I've heard that too, but what if she's a good Pres? All she has to do is be better than the current Pres, which let's be honest, wouldn't be that hard. And speaking of that (insert dirty pun here) if she can reign Billy in and try to remain somewhat scandal free, without a GOP led Congress to deal with, all she'll have are the talking heads saying the things they used to excuse of GW are suddenly terrible when she does them. If all 3 branches lean left, and they're better than when the GOP controlled things (or again, just as long as they aren't as bad) the GOP will have an even tougher time, and she could skate right back in come 2012.

I'm not saying it will go that way, for all we know the Dems could continue sucking, but it's a dangerous gamble that could blow up in their faces.

I'm still thinking it's an attention grabbing thing, and if it works, liberals could choose Obama just to vote against her or dittoheads could vote for her and 4 more years of book sales when Hillary and the Dems screw everything up.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

From what I understand, Ann Coulter is against McCain because he is anti torture.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

More evidence, if we needed any, that a Clinton rerun would be a godsend for right wing.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I always found that argument from some republicans amusing.

23. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I don't see what's so amusing about such a slippery slope. Not being pro torture implies that you are gay. Being gay is morally abhorrent and implies you are anti marriage. Being anti marriage implies that you don't have family values. Not having family values implies that you are not religious (and of the correct faith). All of these things quickly snowball, so I can understand Coulter's position perfectly. In fact, I'll vote for Hillary as well if given the choice between her and McCain.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Ann coulter will Attack Obama just as bad as she attackes Hillary. Who think obama will not get attack from GOP? get real.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Would he be attacked? Of course. But the Republicans have had eight years of practice hunting Clintons. The weapons and ammunition are all lined up and ready for the battle to keep Bill from coming back to the White House. Nothing would rile up the Republican base more effectively than the prospect of another Clinton presidency. It would get Rush Limbough off life support, that's for sure.

This is the possibly the best argument against political aristocracies. If you keep drawing candidates from the same small gene pool, elections becomes more about the past than the future.