Annoying issue with the Account name on my new MBA

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boston04and07, Dec 25, 2010.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hello everyone - I just got a new MacBook Air for Christmas, and I am absolutely loving it! The only issue I've run into so far is the fact that it came with the Administrator user account already named. I'm not sure if they did this in the store at all, and I thought it was pretty strange since the MBA was still wrapped in plastic and appeared to have never been turned on before. Anywho, the account was named "test," and it's really really bugging me. I managed to change the account name to something else, but the Home folder is still named "test." That's what it says in the Finder sidebar in the link for the Home folder, and I just really want to change it. Anyone know how to do this? When I click "Get Info" on that folder, the area where you would normally rename a file is greyed out...

Thanks, & hope you all had a great holiday!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Apple has the info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1428

But you might be better off just creating a new account with administrator rights, and using that instead. And then delete the other account.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Yeah, I thought about doing that - only thing is I already transferred over and organized a ton of stuff from my old Mac, and really want to avoid having to do that again. Is there a way to create a new account with the same files, applications, etc as the original one?

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Nope.

The options I gave are your options.

(Only other thing would be to transfer some items to the other account or something, but again, that's pretty much the same as transferring from somewhere else)

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Also, you likely won't have to reinstall applications.

6. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Oh well...thanks so much for your help! I ended up trying what the Apple support document suggested, which seems to have done the trick. I figured that if it didn't work, I'd have to set up a new account anyways, so why not? I had to reset my Keychain but everything looks good so far..