Annoying iTunes & iPhone combination.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBookPro13", Jan 19, 2012.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

So you have an iPhone with 60 apps on it, some of which you transferred from your Mac to your iPhone and more of which you downloaded using your phone without the need for the iTunes on the Mac.

The apps are also being stored on your Mac. You don't need them on there and want to delete them to free up space. You delete all of the apps from your Mac and next time you plug in your iPhone to your Mac, iTunes offers to transfer your apps from iPhone to Mac (you just deleted them, why would you want them back on there?) & you choose don't transfer, then low and behold, iTunes deletes all of your apps from your iPhone leaving you to have to re-download them all back to your device again.

Ridiculous. I don't see myself plugging my phone into my Mac again now that I have iTunes match, PhotoStream and iCloud.

That really shouldn't happen.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not ridiculous.

iTunes still serves as the master key backup of all your data. This is why Apple recommends that you also do not delete your music from your computer because of the chance that they might need to wipe iTunes Match libraries in order to bring a new feature or increase performance issues.

The only thing that I can think of being more up to date would be iCloud backups, of which I believe iTunes should automatically download the latest backup so that in the case that there are network issues, you would still have a more up-to-date restore waiting for you.

3. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

That still doesn't explain why it would have to wipe app's from my phone just because they weren't in my iTunes library.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sure it would since it tried to Sync your iPhone to your iTunes library. Otherwise they would have remained on your device.

5. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

If that's the way it has to work then I have to live with it I guess.

At least I managed to delete a lot of app's I don't use anymore and have only the essentials on my Phone & Mac now.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Very true. It's a little wonky in practice sometimes but what I stated in my previous posts is the theory behind it.

7. wharzhee macrumors 6502

isnt this passe?

i use wifi-sync? no one uses that?

----------

didnt u mention it earlier?
    cause you didnt transfer them when queried?
    and you had the sync apps ticked under the settings.

but then, yea, it happens a lot of times, a lot of my friends complained about this to me before, and the first thing i would ask them is, "u didnt read the pop up window right???" haha

8. aleni macrumors 68020

yep it's ridiculous especially in macbook air with only 128GB SSD, i really want to save space. so i just moved my entire library of iTunes into my iMac which has 500GB HD and live with it.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This is Whitney make external hard drives. Heck, you can even find a SSD solution that is thunderbolt-equipped these days.