Annoying new trend: moving functions into menus

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by pajako, Oct 24, 2018.

1. pajako macrumors newbie

I posted a thread and feature request in Apple and Adobe forums.

Here is why:
    In OS X mojave in the open/place windows the -what were different buttons in previous osx versions- for icon/list/columnview are compacted into a popupmenu.
    Now every time I want to quickly change my view -when importing images a thumbnail really helps- I first have to open the menu, find the corresponding command, choose it and I continue.
    Previously this would take one click.

Adobe has taken a similar approch in Acrobat where the comments checkbox has moved into a menu. So easy checking off comments after they are done is now a open-menu-click command and close menu again.

What are these UX designers thinking?

2. chabig macrumors 603

Icon View = cmd-1
    List View = cmd-2
    Column View = cmd-3

3. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Maybe you can customize it, or use a keyboard shortcut (which IMO is far faster than one click)

4. brookter1 macrumors member

I'd say the opposite (and very annoying) trend is more prevalent: having functions on icons or context menus only so you can't give them shortcuts. There are very few actions which need to be mouse only - it's terrible design to force users to have to click when shortcut keys are so much more efficient when you're used to a program.

Also, it should be the law that every text element should accept Vim editing protocols.

Only half serious about that last paragraph, but it would be very nice...