Annoying pop-up error after moving external drive from Airport to direct connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jasonnorm, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jasonnorm macrumors regular

jasonnorm

I am hoping someone can help me with this as this is becoming a maddening experience ! :eek:

I had a configuration where I had an external hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme and mounted as a network drive "External_1". I recently moved the drive from the Airport Connection to a direct connection (USB 2.0) to my iMac. Since that time, whenever I launch Finder (or PathFinder) I get the following pop-up message:

"Connection Failed.

The server may not exist or is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again"

I have disabled the Airport disk utility, verified that "External_1" is actually mounting correctly with the direct connection and after I click OK, the pop-up box appears 5 more times then everything seems fine. Until I have to launch finder again :confused: I have rebooted several times as well as restarted the Airport extreme several times. No luck :(

Obviously there is something cached somewhere telling my Finder to reconnect the network drive that was attached to the Airport Extreme but for the life of me I cannot find it. The airport's name is "eustis" and I have tried searching in spotlight for that as well as "External_1" to see if there are any cache files etc. I have been unable to find anything that would explain what is happening.

Anyone have any ideas? This is starting to drive me crazy!! :(

I am running OS X (latest version with all updates) and the latest version of all of the Airport Extreme updates.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. jasonnorm thread starter macrumors regular

jasonnorm

In case anyone is curious, I have resolved the problem. Cause was actually quite simple. I had an alias in my users home dir that was created when the drive was attached to the Airport Extreme to a directory on that drive. After deleting the alias, the errors no longer occur.