Annoying Replacements!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerove, Jul 21, 2010.

1. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

hey all, as you might have noticed i took my iphone in for replacement today morning because of the hairline crack on the screen, they went ahead and replaced it with a 86028 series phone which had a very bad antenna issue, so i went back again in the evening and they again replaced it, now the one i got is a 88026 series and it is even more horrible than the one i had in the morning.. it goes from 5 bars to none in a few seconds of touching the spot! :mad::mad::mad::mad: i'm so tired of driving up and down to the apple store.. any suggestions? do i wait for a few days before going to see if theres any difference in the phones or would u guys suggest calling up applecare and see if they'll ship a replacement directly ?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

don't hold it that way. call up apple care if it's that pressing of an issue.

3. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

4. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I thought Apple stopped replacing phones for service issues. Two in one day? Good grief. I think you need to YouTube "jonathan mann" and listen to the words carefully. :)

Good Luck

Blonde Buddhist

5. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

lol... i have a case and cover on the way.... i absolutely love the phone!! :cool::cool::cool::cool: but i want one that works decently :) lol ... i dropped 3 calls with the morning replacement and 1 call with the evening replacement! lol go figure!

6. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Problem with replacement is - after replacing your phone you will always feel previous one was better than this :D

7. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

waiting for my case.. the thing that bugs me is .. the phone i had yesterday didn't have that bad of an antenna issue but the screen had a crack :(

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

yeah, that stinks. I would then recommend you stick with what you have and just wait for the case. I have the case on mine and i have never dropped a call. My only complaint is AT&T's lock on tethering....which isn't an apple problem.

9. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

So, true.

I called Applecare and they are sending my my third iphone. The thing is, I actually love the second one they sent me. The only issue with it is that that it has a little bit of dust in the camera lense, hence why I asked for another replacement.

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Reset your network settings.

You might be locked onto a low service tower further away than your closest tower.

Network setting reset may cure the issue since it carried through two replacement phones.

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

12. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

i wish i could!! i love this one too much to switch back..

13. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I didn't read too much on the OP but I feel the same way.

I'm on #17 for replacements on my iPhone 3GS. I recently switched to an iP4 without issue, but prior my 3GS kept getting horrible, horrible refurbished replacements. Things that were not minor. For example, battery drained in under and hour. Screen was as yellow as the stock notepad app's icon color. Screen wouldn't respond to taps, etc.

I really think Apple needs to get a stranglehold on their quality control, because in my area I'm not the only one who fears going to the Apple Store to get a replacement iPhone due to the replacement coming back WORSE then what you got replaced.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have personally went through 6 iphone 3g's due to a variety of issues (namely cracks near switches and one case where the screen had a dead zone for touchback) and so far 3 ip4's

My first ip4 had a green line present in video playback from recorded shots

The second ip4 had significant duct specks under the glass but over both the front and back camera lenses that were noticeable in photos

My third ip4 though, is perfect and don't see myself taking it back

Hang in there OP

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yeah, seems like swapping phones means swapping issues. I've swapped mine a couple times and even though mine has a wobbly power button, I'm keeping it. With all the current problems, I can deal with a loose button.

16. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

i'm probably gonna hold on to the phone for a week and if the antenna issue is really really annoying as it appears to be, then i'll go back to the store for another replacement. I have a skin coming in a few days hope that helps with the antenna issue..

however the replacement i have now is a clear downgrade in performance over the other two phones.. (its also week 26 as opposed to week 27 and 28)

17. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

yo, i put a skin on my iP4 and it was great! i'm sure once you do that you will notice a huge difference.

i had it on my first iP4 and it never dropped a call. i just replaced that phone due to the yellow spotting and i put just a new front and back shield on with bumper.

18. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I had a 32GB iP4 and went to see a Genius this evening regarding a signal issue which I believe went beyond antenna gate. My bars wouldn't give me a consistent signal, it would drop from 4 bars to 2 in just about every where I went. I never had this issue w my 3G. So, I went in and explained it to the Genius, he tells me that the same thing happens to him. I also told him that I wasn't dropping any calls because of this, as of matter of fact, I would have one bar at times and ppl would tell me that they heard me clear. So he suggested not to fix something that's not broken, and I agreed. I didn't want to end up with a replacement and deal w another issue.

However, I asked him if I wanted to exchange the 32GB for a 16Gb (iP4), would it be possible but without being put on a priority list, the Genius says yes they will do it. Long story short, I got to exchange it for the 16GB BUT notice I'm getting good reception (5 bars). Now, the phone is still on iOS 4.0 and not sure if I want to update to 4.0.1. But just thought that I'd share that with you guys.

I also noticed that the phone serial number begins w 7 instead of 8. I asked him out of curiosity why was that, and he explained that number represents the factory where it was manufactured., which could be a possibility. So I'm starting to maybe believe that perhaps apple is doing silent recall..? I mean it's just a theory but so far no problem w signal.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

19. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

if they were doing recalls, the investors would know(that's a huge liability and essentially would halt current sales until the shelves were filled with "good" models). Additionally, they wouldn't do a recall AND give free bumpers.

On the 4.0.1 issue. i like the new layout of the signal in 4.0.1 and i also like know the TRUE signal bar representation of what i'm receiving.

20. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So let me get this straight. You exchanged your iP4 32GB with a minor issue for a 16GB iP4 without the minor issue due to the sheer fear of getting a botched replacement.

Anyone else thinks this sounds stupid? I wonder if he even thought about it. I smell a troll.

21. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

hmm.... might be so.. why would anyone want to move to a lower capacity just to clear the phone's issues? :confused::confused:

22. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Back when I was a medical student, I remember spending a month in the Psychiatry wards and remember one particular patient from that time.

He kept coming to the doctor we were rounding with and claiming that he had lots of bugs crawling inside him and that no matter what he did, he could always feel them at night when he tried to sleep. The patient claimed he had tried everything and the only option left that would cure him was if the doctor operated on him and removed all of the bugs.

No matter how much the doctor and his staff explained to the person that there were actually no bugs inside him, crawling around, he wouldn't listen. Eventually 2 of the residents had had enough of seeing the same person always coming into the clinic and decided to make him believe they were going to operate on him and remove the bugs. They took it as far as putting him to sleep with a mild sleep aid to make it seem as if they were really about to perform surgery on him.

The next day, the man felt cured. The bugs were gone and he said he could no longer feel any inside and there was now a huge change in his mood. The residents happily reported to their supervising doctor of their success using a placebo treatment.

2 weeks later, the patient returned. He came up to the residents who had performed his "surgery" and said "you know doctors, I don't want to say you didn't do a good job, because you really did and what you did for me was amazing, but there's just one teeny tiny problem."

"What's that?", one of the residents asked.

"This morning, as I was getting up, I realized I felt one bug inside me -- I think you got them all except one."

TRUE STORY. Reading this thread reminded me of it.

Please bring on the "cool story bro"'s.

23. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

cool story bro

24. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Excellent

Wow, same problem. I had the bugs and the iPhone problem. Got some good drugs free thanks to Obama. My insurance costs are up 25% but the prescription is free.

And my phone, had switched eight of them all broken. Lots of dropped calls. But the last one had a .89 cent case and it's almost okay. :rolleyes:

25. cirial macrumors regular

Contemplating going in to get a replacement for my ip4 due to the horrible white balance camera issue. This is the same phone I got at launch. Never have done a replacement. However I can't determine if this is a hardware or just a software issue from what I have read about here. Other than that I have no complaints