annoying safari 3 option after upgrading OS X and safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by one1, Jun 24, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I upgraded my OS X to 10.4.10 and did the Safari 3.0 upgrade at the same time.

You can go into preferences and set it to warn or not warn you if you are closing multiple tabs, but you cannot set it to not warn you if you ARE CLOSING ONE TAB.

Every time I want to close just ONE tab, it makes me click a warning box that it's OK.

WTH is this, vista? :rolleyes:

Anyone got a work around?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sounds like a bug to me, report it to apple

BTW. firefox has this closing multi-tabs window warning too, and u can actually remove it without bug.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

First of all, which version of Safari are you running? 3.0, 3.0.1 or 3.0.2?

Second, do you mean closing one tab (Cmd-W) when other tabs would still exist, or do you mean closing a remaining single tab but leave Safari open, or do you mean quitting Safari with a single tab open? I am able to do all three without confirming when running Safari 3.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.10.

4. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, closing one tab with other open prompts a response. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

If you respond to a forum and go to another tab to read another web page or forum it will not let you close the one you responded to last without this.......

This is the 3.0 version I just downloaded this week. I am DL'ing the .02 update right now, but I dunno if it'll help. let's see.

Attached Files:

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, if its a feature, and somebody doesn't like it (like you), there should be an option in preference panel to disable it. if u don't like it and u can't disable it, then its a bug.

Bug is not necessarily equal to "not working correctly", when u feel there is something u want to change, file a bug report.

many bug reports at bugzilla.mozilla.org are this type.

6. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

7. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

What's killing me about Safari 3.0.2 is that is I have multiple tabs open, the "x"'s to close them are gone as well. In order to close tabs, I have to right click and close them that way. Not fun. Anybody have a clue as a fix?

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It's an option that's not exposed in preferences. Let's remember that Firefox has these, too, clevin. Surely you of all people are aware of the about:config operands.

To disable it fire up terminal and type in:

Code:
    /usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText -boolean No
    Press Enter, quit Terminal and Safari. It'll be disabled next time you open Safari 3. If you loathe Terminal, you can also go to ~/Library/Preferences and open com.apple.Safari.plist and add DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText to be a boolean No.

If you're on Windows:

Browse to your Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Apple Computer\Safari\Preferences.plist and change the value of DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText to a "No"

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

so? Im sure bugzilla.mozilla.org has plenty of bug reports that can be solved through about:config. I think you are assuming something here.

1. OP's case is a problem that is so obvious and common that should not be controlled by a hidden pref.
    2. safari's hidden pref is much more difficult to access than firefox's, and firefox offers KB to explain each key to further help users, i.e. its much more difficult to alter hidden prefs in safari than in firefox, for most users.

if u wanna compare to firefox, maybe u can file a bug to safari ask for a about:config for it. I know Opera just copied it from firefox. which is good!

10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Well it would have helped if I actually quoted the portion that I was responding to. That's my fault, I was responding to your very first response:

Anyroad, my response wasn't meant to get into a comparison of browser methodologies or who copied whom as such "debates" are useless. I was simply saying that, as it currently stands, this feature is an option not yet exposed in the preferences. And I was saying that Firefox has many of these that many users will never think to see/look for because they're not exposed either. The comparison was only made because it appeared that you were offering Firefox as a solution to a feature supposedly lacking in Safari.

I agree with your assertions about submitting a bug, and that it should be exposed in the preferences. I also agree about the level of documentation of Firefox vs Safari preferences. I think it's safe to say that the feature is still being debated or unresolved; I think the Debug prefix kinda gives that away. The option to warn before closing a window with tabs has no such prefix and is exposed. I'm assuming that they'll expose this option in the final release or when they resolve whatever issue they're having with it.

11. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. mechamac macrumors regular

There's a "Confirm When Closing a Page With Multiple Tabs" checkbox in the prefs of the newest Safari. This new feature bugged me as well, but now I browse in one window with a bunch of tabs, so I've come to like it.

But it can be shut off if it bugs you.

13. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

read again please :)

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, i have to be honest with you, in my replies to browser questions asked here at MR. I always try not to do so. But on this one, U are right, I did add that sentense with the meaning of offering firefox as a solution. Mainly because I got tired of the posts like this one
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=318670
    notice the very happy member Mr. iz3r

But, Its not my nature of doing so, so I guess I will move on after this. sorry for the annoying feeling this caused, it is indeed annoying, lol, I knew it.:D

15. mechamac macrumors regular

Hey! What I wrote had nothing to do with what you wrote! I need coffee.

16. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

To be clear, it fixes your problem of prompting to close a tab with which you have entered text into an input field. Of course, it only affects Safari 3, but...

To reiterate, paste one of the following into Terminal. It will take effect when you reopen Safari.

To disable:

Code:
    /usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText -boolean No
    To reenable:

Code:
    /usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText -boolean Yes

17. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The only time I get the warning is if I close the reply window tab to a forum or close the entire application window.
    Other "normal" web page tabs close without warnings.

This does not seem particularly intrusive to me.
    It's certainly preferable to accidentally closing a lengthy forum post or reply, for example.

18. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the info, if you can help me solve the paste problem I have I won't have to revert back to safari 2.

No matter how many spaces I put between the last block of entered text and what I intend to paste, it always eats up the space and puts the pasted text directly against the last text. This makes me have to click the cursor in between there and hit space.

Any ideas on that one? I use a trackball mouse and simply right click to copy and paste.

19. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Hit the spacebar prior to pasting.
    It worked for this sentence. It worked for this sentence. It worked for this sentence. It worked for this sentence. It worked for this sentence.

20. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said, no matter how many spaces I put there it still does it.

21. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It appears that this may be a valid bug. It's an odd one because whenever a right-click occurs in an input box, it selects an entire word, spacing or punctuation. Just right click in the input box anywhere and it will select whatever's under the mouse.

Odd behavior. It's almost as though it's registering as a double left-click. I use command-C, command-X and command-V to copy, cut and paste. I guess that's about all I can say for that one.