Annoying "Upgrade to 5.1" Reminders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Mar 15, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

It's bad enough that every time I plug my 4s into my computer, iTunes asks me if I want to upgrade to 5.1, now I see there's a new "reminder" in the "Settings" icon on my 4s home page.

I'm not upgrading until there's an untethered jailbreak. I wonder how one turns OFF the "Settings" reminder.

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Um, you realize there's a checkbox in that window to disable that notice, right? Maybe you shouldn't close windows so hastily without looking at them first.

It's just a red circle with "1" on it. Easy enough to ignore.

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem with the iTunes checkbox is that the consequences are not explained, as is typical. For example, if I disable the notice in iTunes, how, exactly, do I get it back *when* I want to upgrade? I'm sure there is a way but...the way isn't explained.

The red circle with the "1" in it just appeared this morning. I'd like it to go away, but I'm not interested in upgrading yet. I "resolved" the issue by moving the "Settings" icon off my main home page onto another page and into a folder I call "Utilities," so the red circle is no longer staring me in the face.

4. ah123 macrumors regular

If you disable the window in iTunes, when you do eventually want to upgrade, just connect the phone and click 'Check for updates'

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

The checkbox only disables that pop-up reminder. The "update" and "restore" buttons on the iPhone section of iTunes will always be available.

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to you and the preceding poster. I learned years ago NOT to make assumptions about what might happen to one's computer if one selects "A" without seeing a list of the consequences. If that makes sense. :)