Anodized iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forrestwhite, Aug 22, 2013.

1. forrestwhite macrumors newbie

forrestwhite

Hey all,

As we all know, Apple had some issues with the anodization on the iPhone 5 (particularly with the black color) which led to an consumer backlash known as "Scuffgate".

I'm wondering if you guys think the anodization process is one that might be improved upon with the iPhone 5S? Similar to the improvements that were made to the antenas on the iPhone 4S back when "Antenagate" was going on. I'm thinking something as a "clear coat" over the back might solve or improve this issue.

Has there been any indication in the rumormill about Apple's efforts to avoid "scuffgate" this time around with the iPhone 5S?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
    FW

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if they really thought there was a problem then they would likely improve on it, but saying the process will be improved would mean they have to admit it was an issue in the first place.

I have yet to see a rumor on any improvement on the process.

3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I made a thread about this and a few people said they changed the way they anodized the black products in March 2013, so it should be fixed

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hopefully the process of anodization has been improved.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It was never fixed. I have a 3 month old 5 and the black ano is worn on the edges from regular use.

----------

I do think that the scratches will not show as badly on the gold tone phones compared to black. It is all silver/aluminum color under the ano.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

They have their priorities. It'll be fixed once they figure out how to make an iPod Classic back that doesn't scratch.

7. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Weird, my brother got a black iPhone 5 3 months ago, and his still looks brand new

And, the Black iPad Mini I purchased in February edges are completely scratched up

8. forrestwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

forrestwhite

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know if there's any truth to this:

"Around March 2013 Apple changed the way they make the slate iPhone 5 so that newer ones don't scratch as easily. It is actually really really difficult to scratch it now. Most people didn't notice but you can tell if your iPhone 5 doesn't have a perfectly black finish on the aluminium. It will be dark grey on the newer models. You can try comparing newer models to the store display models, which are all early iPhone 5's."

9. FSMBP, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I had an original iPhone 5 (purchased in October 2012) and I just got a replacement unit from the Apple Store last week; I have noticed that the finish looks darker than my original iPhone 5.

It may be that the finish on my original iPhone 5 was losing its shine but my replacement looks darker; I will compare with my friend's iPhone 5 (purchased Dec 2012) and report back.

UPDATE: I compared my new iPhone 5 to my friend's (his was purchased in Dec 2012) and they look exactly the same.

Quick side note: My original iPhone 5 (from Oct 2012), didn't have any scratches and I had mine caseless. My friend's was also caseless but has nicks and scuff all over his (he is more careless with his belongings). Your iPhone will look good if you just take care of it

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The edges of the iPhone are not (and never were) anodised. They are milled off in the chamfering process.

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

This issue has already been resolved by Apple.

12. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Could I get a replacement from apple then if they have admitted a fault by changing the process ?

My corners are all worn off by just being in my pants pocket!!

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They haven't (externally) admitted a fault though.

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's not admitting fault. That's changing the process.

15. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I had to get a skin for the band to try and prevent the scuffing. I hope they change the process because I want the Gold version...

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't an anodizing issue, it's a materials issue. The problem is that Aluminum is soft and can easily be scratched.

17. 22mac macrumors member

Interesting to see if they have fixed it, there haven't been any reports of a change in the manufacturing process.

18. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

This is my only worry concerning the new "champagne" colour. It's really attracting me but I don't want it to have the same anodising problems that the 5 had. People in this thread seem to be suggesting Apple have dealt with it anyway, so all should be well.

19. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

That's the process of shaping the bare metal. The whole aluminum gets anodized at the end. It is what gives it the black color.

Apple can solve the scratching simply by changing to type III HA anodizing. It is what is used on military grade flashlights. With a type III anodized Surefire flashlight you can saw through a Maglite one (type II). This makes the surface harder than the aluminum itself.

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Wrong!

The actual process is explained here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQSyqoziHvU

As you will see, the backs are anodised and "printed" before assembly and chamfering.

21. Skika macrumors 68030

I got a replacement unit 2 weeks back and the aluminium material does seem rather different from my launch day device that i sent it.

22. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is more than just the edges that the color is wearing off.

The ano has not been improved.:rolleyes:

23. pmau macrumors 65816

The Maglite marketing department loves you ;)

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Aha! In your original post you stated "I have a 3 month old 5 and the black ano is worn on the edges from regular use." :)

25. forrestwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

forrestwhite

So far it appears a mixed consensus, with the majority of people saying that Apple HAS improved their anodizing process on the iPhone 5 and therefore the iPhone 5S will LIKELY NOT suffer the same "scuffgate" issues that early editions of the iPhone 5 fell prone too.