Anonymous releases new videos claming start of revolution...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gameface, Jun 11, 2011.

1. NT1440, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love the ideas. I hate the juvenile nature Anonymous gets from all those that are part of it "for the lulz".

There is a lot to the words in this video. If only someone other than Anonymous would pick it up and run with it.

Text From the second video:

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yup, the hacking group has performed a big-scale profound attack on the International Monetary Fund website. Of such scale that the page went down and the World Bank cut access from said site just in case, as it is known both sites are linked so as to share some "non-public data."

On the Times and Washington Post,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/world/12imf.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Um, what's to love of a group of people who deliberately schedule massive cyber attacks on important networks while hiding traces like cowards?

What about the PlayStation 3 Network, which was forced to shut down due to a massive scale personal information theft from this hacker group? Not only was this data stolen, but the PS3N service went down for months, to add to the injury of the user who say, bought a game to play on line as it has no campaign.

4. NT1440, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Anonymous is FAR more than a hacking group. Though, the media will never be able to tell you that because they really don't understand the point of Anonymous.

Take a look at their protests into Scientology. All you'll find from most media is them standing around in Guy Fawkes masks. Take a look into what was going on their site at the time and you'd see all the disgusting and illegal things the Church of Scientology had done to tick them off. I'm talking human rights abuses and in some cases people being disappeared or even killed.

That was a hacker, not the Anonymous idea. Other than the word of a few companies and people that have histories with anonymous, what proof is there that the attack was part of the Anonymous philosophy? 3 Jerks that like 4chan were arrested for it, but that means they represent the ideals of Anonymous? Thats BS.

Anonymous is about humans coming together to resist corporate takeover and overthrow oppressive governments (played a big role in Tunisia), not getting some credit card numbers. What would a loose leaderless organization do with credit cards or money? That kind of data is only useful to selfish and greedy individuals.

5. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

They didn't run the attack on the PS3 network if you watched the videos.

Stopping listening to the media and make up your own mind.

6. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

th3j35t3r>Anonymous

PS I resent Anonymous using Guy Fawkes masks

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

On the other hand, don't expect a few minutes of video to convince anybody of anything either.

8. TSE macrumors 68030

I'm pretty scared by some of the stuff Anonymous has done.

On one hand, they have done some really really good things. On the other they are very dangerous and have done some really really bad things.

I just choose to not take part in it.

I also have a question:

Is 4chan and Anonymous the same thing?

9. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Lol, "Anonymous" is just the default name given on chan sites like 4chan. It's not an organised group like, say, the mafia or the "illuminati". It's just the collective whole of 4chan, mainly the /b/ board which is random.

I'd say 99% of the people on /b/ aren't capable of doing anything destructive with programming or hacking, most just act as proxies supporting the mastermind programmers who actually plan and initiate these missions.

The media paints a picture of this great big organised network of elite hackers stretching from Russia all the way to Oz via the US... Nothing could be further from the truth. It's not organised in that way, it's more like someone has a bright idea, suggests it and then everyone decides to go with it.

Every time a story like this breaks a huge influx of new, curious people go on /b/ and 4chan in general. A lot of the times I get the feeling it's a cynical ploy to generate cheap advertising for moot.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Let's leave personal attacks out of the discussion.

11. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I think we should all be grateful to the PSN hackers. Two free full games and one free month of Playstation Plus. Totally worth the downtime.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think if whoever produced that video is going to convince people to "be creative", they need to learn how to do more than rotate the same six or seven slides. ;)

Okay, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I'm as frustrated as these guys with the corrupt political-corporate system. I do think we're under the thumbs of a group of sociopathic elites. My question is, is hacking the best and/or only way of dealing with it?

We still live in a democracy, one that allows us to change "regimes" without violence on a regular basis. Of course you will say: yes, but they rig the system to get their guys elected all time. They put out lies about opposition candidates and muddle the media with fake threats, everything from supposed WMD to the "horrors" of gay marriage.

And that's where I'd start the revolution: not with the central banks and such that the video talks about, but with the information media. We have the ability every few years to go to the polls and vote out anybody we don't like. What are the main problems that keep us from doing that? Disinformation. That, and apathy.

Disinformation first. It's long been my contention that a flood of mixed, conflicting and often deliberately false information is anathema to a democracy. Voters can't be expected to make good choices unless they have good information to go on, and there is now a whole media industry dedicated to making sure that they don't have good information. Thanks to the removal of things like the Fairness Doctrine, we no longer even have to present two sides to an argument. A media company can, if it wishes, broadcast bullcrap propaganda 24/7 without fear of being held to any standard of responsibility.

Is it any wonder that people will vote against their own interests when they're being told a lot of BS every single day -- BS that starts with one despicable media voice but is then amplified through the media echo machine until that BS is so widespread that it becomes "fact"?

Then there's the flip side: apathy. You can put out all the good information in the world, but if people won't act upon it, you still got nothin'. The video calls hackers to arms, but I think we need to call voters to arms, to look beyond what the media tell them and figure things out for themselves, and then to take action, instead of sitting home and pouting in their beers.

Until the middle class started protesting in Wisconsin and Ohio and elsewhere, the only other people who got up off their asses to protest was, God help us, the tea party. And they are the antithesis of an informed electorate. Viva la revolicion! :rolleyes:

My points are:

1. if you have informed voters and the freedom to vote, you don't need this kind of revolution; and
    2. if you think hacking is necessary to achieve [1], then start with the corrupt information media, not the banks.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's it in a nutshell.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, unless there are shenanigans before/during/after the vote. :(

15. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I don't think we do have informed voters but even if we did many people vote the way they do because it's how their parents vote/voted. This is certainly the case where I'm from, not sure about the US (although it would explain Bush's inexplicable rise to power).

As for your second point, about hacking, I would say that given the nature of the "elites" and their apparent motivation for all of their policies then hitting them in a way which will damage their profits will hit them the hardest. The latest obsession seems to be finding a balance between profits and polluting the world. If we can maximise profits without poisoning everyone then great!

Thus, hitting commercial websites and the websites of banks repeatedly and consistently it will soon cut into their profits and they'll be faced with a dilemma, either pass the expense onto their customers thus recovering the loss but face losing customers in the long run or acquiesce to the demands of these hackers.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This Anonymous fellow seems kind of behind the times.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Um, I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of an informed voter, or perhaps even worse than an apathetic one.

18. dime21 macrumors 6502

There is no revolution. It's a pack of teenage douchebags who are very much against freedom of speech and freedom of expression. It's vigilante justice at its worst. Say anything or do anything that they don't agree with - and suffer their electronic harassment. I truly hope those cowards hiding behind their keyboards get caught, tried as adults, and sentenced to hard time in federal prison.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup, Anonymous has never done anything noble or useful in the world at all. Just a bunch of nerdy teenagers. :roll eyes:

I'll just leave this here and be on my way....

http://www.thetechherald.com/articl...upport-to-Tunisian-protestors-Update-2?page=1

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

For those who are unaware, there's somewhat of a war breeding on the old tubes of the internet.

Lulz security, who has been responsible for dozens of DDOS attacks over the past few weeks has apparently angered the pro US hacker known as "the jester", who has pledged to retaliate against them.

It's about to get very interesting.

As for anonymous, ars technica has published an incredibly interesting story regarding the antics of one man who tried to infiltrate them.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...m-tracked-anonymousand-paid-a-heavy-price.ars
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...eaks-the-inside-story-of-the-hbgary-hack.ars/
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-vs-hbgary-the-aftermath.ars

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But then Batman was able to free himself from the pool of man-eating piranhas, defeat "the jester" and his henchmen, and bring peace to Gotham City. ;)