iPhone X Another “Dust Speck” Behind Camera Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 23, 2018.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

So, yesterday I got my XS Max after an hour of waiting in line even though I had a Reservation.

I was so over being at the Apple store that I just wanted to get out of there. I noticed there was a very small piece of dust under the back camera by the bottom lense...but it was barely noticeable and off to the side so I just left.

I know I can go back there and play the phone lottery, but my screen is perfect and so are my buttons and everything else. I also have AppleCare so if something truly gets screwed up I have that.

It’s not over the top camera, just the bottom. I think the bottom camera is only used for Portrait photos...is that right?

And based off the pictures and location of the piece of dust (over the far left side of the bottom lense) is it possible it can affect my pictures? If not, I’m just going to keep it...but if there’s any chance it can affect my pictures I’ll exchange.

Here’s a picture...let me know what your thoughts are. It’s actually really hard to see, but with the camera zoomed in I think you should be able to see it. Let me know if you think this will affect my pictures.

Attached Files:

2. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

If it doesn’t affect your pictures or videos at all, just ignore it and enjoy the phone. If it’s going to drive you crazy that it’s there though, then go back to Apple and see what they can do for you.

3. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Nope replace that immediately. Unacceptable for $1100

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You won’t be playing the ‘lottery game’, because Apple doesn’t replace phones anymore in _most_ cases with dust behind the camera lens cover. They were trained mid last year to disassemble the camera lens cover, and they can clean behind the module/cover area and reassemble the phone. If it’s an issue, Rather be annoying or affecting your photos, , that is your option.

5. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

Had this on my X. Apple replaced it no problem.

Again, have dust under my Xs Max, I’ll wait until I want a refreshed phone and have it replaced again.

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Xs Max here. I have a speck in pretty much the exact same spot. Can’t really see it unless in direct sunlight. Doesn’t seem to affect anything photo-wise, so I can live with it.

Just to sooth my slight OCD, I double checked my 8+ I have yet to return, and it had a couple specks on each of the lenses that I just found, even after being OCD when I first got it. Never noticed them before and they didn’t affect pictures either.

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Would you mind taking a picture of your XS Max?

8. MALmen macrumors member

Here is mine. Almost at the same position as yours..

InkedIMG_0268_LI.jpg

9. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Have some in the lens of my XS Max, however it doesn't effect my photos. Checked my original X and also my work 8 Plus and they all have some degree of dust in them. To be honest unless I run into an issue later on, that's what AppleCare is for. I can't see the dust unless I look really closely under certain light conditions. Everything else with my XS Max is perfect (even screen, no weird tints, etc.) so I'm not playing the swap game.

10. chillip macrumors 6502a

I have the same on my XS and it has ZERO affect on my photos. I had a quick look at the ones in store and also have the same issue. I checked 3 units. I would just learn to live with it and don't go down the replacement route as you will most likely have the same issue.

11. MN7119 macrumors 6502

Why do people keep coming here to complain about something on new Apple products? Have a defect? Didn't like it? Regretted purchasing? Just go back and return it. That is why Apple gives you 14 days to try it.

12. chillip macrumors 6502a

Its a forum! Thats what people do.

13. MALmen macrumors member

If a small speck of dust would have any effect on the photo we all would have to clean the lens before taking a shot. Theres always gonna be som kind och dust och speck on the lens.

14. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i have the same thing except mines on the top lens so far I've noticed it hasn't affected taking pics i was also hesitated to go back n see what they can do but i figured its fine and usually i'm the type that is really OCD about these things i still have a week left from the 14 day return but if anything i do have AppleCare from t mobile.

15. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I exchanged mine. Got a new one without any dust!

16. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

My XS Max also has a large speck of dust under the top camera lens. It hasn't really had an effect of pictures but it is rather large. My only issue is I got mine from Best Buy and they typically don't like to play phone lottery without a $35 restocking fee. I have AppleCare+, though. I may take it in if it starts to really bug me.