Another bad iPhone 4S: what to do now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drew84, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Drew84 macrumors newbie

So I'm on my fourth iPhone 4S 32GB. The first two had the exceptionally loud vibrate motor, so I returned them. The third one had so many issues that upon returning to the Apple Store, the Genius indicated it was the first iPhone they'd ever had that their diagnostic computers couldn't connect to.

All four phones have had the loud vibrate motor, and all have had terrible battery life. But the current one is the worst. It drains 10-15% on standby and if I have it actually in my hand using it for about 60-90 minutes a day, I have to charge it twice. It also dies well short of 0% (as high as 25% before). To add to that fact, I've compared it alongside more than one iPhone 4 and it gets crushed in every single "speed test" that I can find. Mine on a good day will average about 500 kb/s. And this is with everything (location services, iCloud, iTunes Sync, etc) turned off, while the iPhone 4 has most of it turned on. In every way shape and form it is inferior to the 4 and in some cases even my 3GS.

What would you do? Is this just the nature of the phone we're all stuck with, or should I go back and demand yet another phone?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

First of all, demanding anything never has good results.

3. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you know what I mean. I was hoping for a more constructive response.

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Call Apple

Being that this will be the 3rd iPhone you've had to replace I would call Apple. Honestly I think you've just had terrible luck but none the less, call Apple and explain what's happened. I'm sure that they will get you a new iPhone either by mail or by your local Apple store. You're probably in for a iTunes gift card or something in that manner. You never know what Apple will do but 99% of the time they go to great lengths to make their customers happy. It sucks that you've had this experience and Apple will feel the same. Hope you get it sorted.

5. SoIsays macrumors regular

OP, is it possible that your carrier just has terrible signal in your most common locations? The constant signal grabbing tends to eat the battery alive. Maybe you should try another carrier with a stronger signal in your most common locations.

I've never encountered a loud vibrate motor and I can't any video on youtube that I can try to understand. What exactly does it sound like? Like metal on metal sound?

You have a pretty unique circumstance with your phone and I hope you get it sorted out.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They changed the vibrate motors in the iPhone 4S and it does vibrate louder. I don't see that as a reason to return the phone if it was working fine. You chose to return the phones and press your luck on a replacement that could have more issues. Might aswell return this one also seeing as you're having issues with it aswell and press your luck on the next.

7. iWallace26 macrumors regular

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am sorry but after 4 phones, I would have to look at my expectations and question if the problem was not me and not the phone!

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Restore as new. Don't put any apps on it. See if the battery drains. I bet it's your backup or setup.

10. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

Have you updated to ios 5.1 as this appears to have fixed my standby drain problem and in usage reflects more accurately what I've actually used?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was thinking the same thing. Never heard of "the exceptionally loud vibrate motor." I wish I could get one of those as I find the iPhone's vibrate rather weak.

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

this.

It's usually an errant app or combination of things that cause weird stuff to happen. Restore as new and just use the stock version of the phone without your apps for a few days and see if it stabilizes. Then you can start to re-add your apps one by one. Monitor it and you'll most likely catch what ever it is.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Have to hate those loud vibrates.

Ya know what I hate worse? When I take it off vibrate it makes a ringing noise sometimes. Will Apple take it back?

:D