Another Battery Concern

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cfairbank, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cfairbank macrumors 6502

With the issue of the 5.0 to 5.0.1, I started thinking about the overall life of the battery. The iPhone is said to have a 400 charge cycle and when that is reached your max charge is around 80%. Well with the battery draining so fast I find my self always charging. With this in mind and without a fix it would be possible to reach this 400 charge cycle pretty quick there for decreasing the life of the battery Nd having to replace a lot sooner.

Any thoughts?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

A full charge cycle would be charging a dead battery to 100%, a partial charge is just part of a cycle, therefore it's going to still take a long time to hit that number of cycles. Even if you fully drain it every day, that's still over a year.

3. BEN779 macrumors 6502

BEN779

Link? I can't find how many charge cycles the iPhone4S has.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They don't care, they are banking on everyone buying their next phone. Did they care about the antenna on the 4? No, they told you you're an idiot and you don't know how to hold a phone. Clearly though, they have a lot of homework to do on battery usage and their software if they plan on a 4in screen or LTE in the next one. People would be stroking out on this board if they had both a hardware and a software issue causing the battery to discharge like **** through a goose.

5. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I've never owned any 1 iPhone long enough to worry about battery issues caused by time and usage.

I can honestly say, this may be the first time I actually will though.

6. cfairbank thread starter macrumors 6502

I am beginning to think the same.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

We still have an original 3G that's been charged daily for years with zero issues in terms of it's battery. I wouldn't worry. Especially about that.

8. hl450 macrumors member

My questions is: What's the adequate/acceptable usage for a single charge? I don't use my phone that much.. few phone calls a day. some browsing. some iMessages. bit of siri. but not really watching anything on the web or listening to music and such. It lasts about 2 days for me. Is that adequate?

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have always charged my phones overnight. I only expect my phones to get me through a day, that's it. You are never going to come close to the published talk/standby times. Not with everything the phones can do now a days. People flipping out that they have to charge their phones everyday are PITA's, just charge the damn thing overnight and shut up.

10. hl450 macrumors member

That's what I thought.

11. deeddawg, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Perhaps. FWIW, the AppleCare+ T&C specifically call out that if battery "ability to hold a charge" drops below 50% "from original specifications" they cover it under the Hardware Service section (not the Accidental Damage / $50 fee section).

I'd expect this would be leverage for a warranty claim within the first year if the same happened and the owner didn't have AC+. Out of warranty battery replacement by Apple is ~$86 - I'd expect 3rd parties would be cheaper.

So worst case, it's not that expensive to replace the battery; but wouldn't be real concerned. My July 2010 iPhone4 is still going strong (gave to a family member) on a charge-it-every-night strategy. I get about the same battery life through the day with my 4S as I did with my 4.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Holding a charge is different than the OS draining it at a faster pace then before.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

This statement is 100% correct, however the OP's concern was cycling the battery more, thereby depleting the charge capacity through wear:

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah, I get what he's saying. I don't know if you'll get anywhere with applecare concerning it. I guess if they can't fix the battery woes, they might.