stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Depending on how many people were on that flight. If 300 plus people were on there then that is just over $300K per family which is not much.
Moreover, while all of the deaths were an absolute (and avoidable) tragedy, some of those who were killed when that plane crashed were extraordinarily impressive individuals; as far as I recall, @JamesMike knew some from the UN who were killed while travelling on that plane, while an incredibly impressive and formidably gifted Ugandan police officer with whom I had worked a few years ago was also a casualty of that crash.

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Depending on how many people were on that flight. If 300 plus people were on there then that is just over $300K per family which is not much.
That was in part the point, yes. The other point was that this was a tenth of a percent of the revenue last year, which is what we in Norway would call "et piss i havet" (tr: "a piss in the ocean").

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Moreover, while all of the deaths were an absolute (and avoidable) tragedy, some of those who were killed when that plane crashed were extraordinarily impressive individuals; as far as I recall, @JamesMike knew some from the UN who were killed while travelling on that plane, while an incredibly impressive and formidably gifted Ugandan police officer I had worked with a few years ago was also a casualty of that crash.
Yes, I had 8 UN friends on board, it reminded of the Lockerbie plane bombing, I lost 4 teammates and 3 security friends on that flight.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Sorry to hear, may they Rest In Peace. Very little money in my opinion for those that lost their lives. Money does not bring them back either .:(
The Ugandan police officer whom I knew (and held in very high regard) - and who perished tragically in that crash - was brave, brilliant, funny, idealistic, exceptionally competent, and a superb role model both in Uganda and in the wider region of the Horn of Africa.

Earlier in her career, she had led the Ugandan police unit on domestic violence and abuse and pioneered changes in how that unit was run, and later, when I knew her, she served as Deputy Commissioner, and then, was Acting Commissioner, for the multi-national AMISOM police force in the Horn of Africa.

Her death was an enormous and tragic loss.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
The Ugandan police officer whom I knew (and held in very high regard) - and who perished tragically in that crash - was brave, brilliant, funny, idealistic, exceptionally competent, and a superb role model both in Uganda and in the wider region of the Horn of Africa.

Earlier in her career, she had led the Ugandan police unit on domestic violence and abuse and pioneered changes in how that unit was run, and later, when I knew her, she served as Deputy Commissioner, and then, was Acting Commissioner, for the multi-national AMISOM police force in the Horn of Africa.

Her death was an enormous and tragic loss.
May she Rest In Peace. :(