Another Bombshell? The Cover Up of Trump's Affair with Playboy Model in 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 16, 2018.

1. samcraig, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018

samcraig macrumors P6

I'm sure this won't add up to too much. But you never know.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...g-infidelity-national-enquirer-karen-mcdougal

Trump and McDougal began an affair, which McDougal later memorialized in an eight-page, handwritten document provided to The New Yorker by John Crawford, a friend of McDougal’s. When I showed McDougal the document, she expressed surprise that I had obtained it but confirmed that the handwriting was her own.

The interactions that McDougal outlines in the document share striking similarities with the stories of other women who claim to have had sexual relationships with Trump, or who have accused him of propositioning them for sex or sexually harassing them. McDougal describes their affair as entirely consensual. But her account provides a detailed look at how Trump and his allies used clandestine hotel-room meetings, payoffs, and complex legal agreements to keep affairs—sometimes multiple affairs he carried out simultaneously—out of the press.

On November 4, 2016, four days before the election, the Wall Street Journalreported that American Media, Inc., the publisher of the National Enquirer, had paid a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for exclusive rights to McDougal’s story, which it never ran. Purchasing a story in order to bury it is a practice that many in the tabloid industry call “catch and kill.” This is a favorite tactic of the C.E.O. and chairman of A.M.I., David Pecker, who describes the President as “a personal friend.” As part of the agreement, A.M.I. consented to publish a regular aging-and-fitness column by McDougal. After Trump won the Presidency, however, A.M.I.’s promises largely went unfulfilled, according to McDougal. Last month, the Journal reported that Trump’s personal lawyer had negotiated a separate agreement just before the election with an adult-film actress named Stephanie Clifford, whose screen name is Stormy Daniels, which barred her from discussing her own affair with Trump. Since then, A.M.I. has repeatedly approached McDougal about extending her contract.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The interesting part of this story is this:

[QUOTE/]Purchasing a story in order to bury it is a practice that many in the tabloid industry call “catch and kill.” This is a favorite tactic of the C.E.O. and chairman of A.M.I., David Pecker, who describes the President as “a personal friend.”[/QUOTE]
    Let's be honest and say that short of certified video evidence of Trump killing and eating small children, his supporters/apologists in Congress and Fox News aren't going to rise up in horror at the personal behavior of this President. One more story about an extramarital affair is going to garner a collective shoulder-shrug.

But the "catch-and-kill" arrangement with the National Enquirer publisher? That could very likely end up being investigated and possibly prosecuted as a violation of Federal Election law. Essentially Pecker's payment to McDougal, four days before an election, and for a story that was never used could arguably be called a defacto contribution to Trump's election campaign.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Anyone who voted for him after watching the Access Hollywood tape and listening to the numerous women he assaulted and harassed has already decided that they have no problem electing a moral cretin as long as he agrees with them on policy. These stories are only relevant to the extent that they implicate potential campaign finance violations, and then, only if they implicate Trump himself. His voters have already sold their souls to the devil. Providing them with more evidence that he’s a scumbag does nothing.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Sleaze is a Trump bragging point, apparantly with conservatives, evangelicals, and Christians who embrace him, secretly want to be like him? :oops:

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Just goes to show that like Trump, some 46% of Americans only hire the best. :(

6. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I agree totally, but I have trouble deciding which is worse. Trump's behavior, or the choices voters made to look the other way and accept unacceptable behavior. Does not say a lot about character to me.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I will amend my earlier comment slightly just to note that I would love it, purely as a matter of schadenfreude, if these stories led Melania to file for divorce.

8. Huntn, Feb 16, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My guess she is remaining with him for the time being for public appearance and it would put her in a whirlwind to walk away from him while he is President. There has been enough body language that appears to indicate she can’t stand him. Of course maybe her top priority is security and financial freedom regardless of how disgusting of a human being he is, although that is subject to change. Everyone has a limit of how much BS they can take regardless of the money.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    It’s reflective of how morality and standards of integrity previously demanded, required by Republicans can be self destructively wiped away by mindless tribalism. He’s a POS, but he’s got an R by his name (at least this year) so that’s good enough for me and better than any Democrat. Republican principles of fiscal and general responsibility, truth, moral, integrity, lol, waiting for the punch line. :oops:

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I genuinely do feel sorry for Melania.
    Sure she's probably a gold digger… and I guess the financial perks might make up for a lot, but just imagine for a moment how it must feel to be in Trump Tower and seeing that rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouching towards you, to claim its marital rights?

There might also be, I would surmise, a huge amount of intimidation and fear to keep her in place. I would not put anything past that man and his "close" family.
    Once this circus show is over and the carnies shake some dust and leave DC, you'll probably find her on foot not too far down the road.

10. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

The punch line will include references to Clinton and Monica as usual. I did not condone that behavior either and thought he should have resigned. But the reference is gonna be used as a tit for tat anyways.

I always find it fascinating that people like to use references of past transgressions by one party as a way of justifying current behavior by the other.

11. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I’ve been assuming that she’s sticking it out solely because of the terms of her prenuptial agreement. Even if she wouldn’t get much in a divorce, she could probably get a huge payday for a tell-all book. I’m sure that the prenup has some sort of non-disparagement provision, but it would be a fascinating legal issue as to whether such a provision, as applied to the President of the United States, is void as against public policy.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm not sure I feel much sorrow for Melania. She chose her path. She has said some pretty offensive things on her own. Now if she's being mentally or physically abused or threatened, I hope she would seek help. But as we know, victims often don't come forward.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Agreed, by then Trump will have found a new good digger willing to submit, if he has not landed in prison. But I won’t hold my breath for that.

There was a time when I actually believed that my country had laws that everyone was accountable to. Yes, I was gullible.

I realized after several Presidential Administrations ago (back to Reagan) if you reside near the top of wealth and power, with a willing minion to take your bullet (how appropriate an analogy for this country), you are free as a bird to be as bad Boy as you want.

Yes, the Mueller investigation is still ongoing, but we seem so intent on protecting the office of the President, especially for political advantage, no matter how much of a scoundrel resides there, my expectations of Trump receiving a legal spanking are nill. :( The only realistic option is that he and many of his Rebublican enablers will be vanquished from political office in the next couple of years.
    A non-disparagement clause would be legal? How could it ever be illegal to call a snake a snake? Btw, I’m against legalized hush money. :)

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I firmly believe that everybody is entitled to a private life. Members of the Clergy, actors, Judges, policemen, politicians. They are all entitled to a certain level of privacy in their personal affairs.

But there is just something about Trump's behavior that is so utterly despicable. The aging would be Lothario, with his flabby belly and his hideous combover, trading on fame and cash to lure women into his shoddy and sordid web.

Melania Trump is by all appearances a highly attractive and desirable woman. She was thirty-five years old when she married Donald Trump, a man more than twenty years her senior. But that wasn't enough to satisfy Trump's fragile ego, to quell the fires of his sexual insecurities. No Trump, the glutton, must continue to feast on ever younger female flesh.

I do feel a certain level of sympathy for Melania Trump. She should have known what she was getting into, with Trump's documented history. With his ghastly and gaudy gilded apartment. But women - at least in my experience - always believe that with them it will be different.

I wish her well. But someone with Donald Trump's documented appetites and behavioral history shows an utter absence of the sort of decency of character one looks for in a leader of any description.

16. samcraig, Feb 16, 2018

samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If nothing else, him cheating on two wives and marrying the next should be a warning sign.

17. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Wasn't she the mistress at one point? What do they say about leopards and spots?

I worked with a guy who when I first met him was married with three kids, I was also friends with a friend of his wife and it turns out they had both been married before, and had both cheated on their spouses with each other, resulting in two divorces and a marriage.

Roll on a few years and surprise surprise, he's got himself a new mistress and wifey is all heartbroken. Before long the mistress is pregnant, and wifey if divorced for the second time! Guess what happened a couple of years later? He's off with yet another new woman, moving across the country, leaving behind 4 kids with two different women. Given each time the new woman starts as the mistress, why would they ever think that they won't suffer the same fate, it's not like he doesn't have form!?!?!

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I have to admit I don't keep up to date with Trump and his many wives and mistresses… but Wikipedia suggests they only met after he had already separated from Marla Maples…

*shrug*

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Unless this somehow violated laws (I'm pretty sure it didn't), I don't care who sleeps with who. I just don't.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I care less about who and more about WHY!!?! lol

21. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It would be interesting to see if Trump supporters would be okay with his next challenger having a press conference with the women Trump cheated with, on and assaulted.

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

But Trump is supported by evangelicals who supposedly do care, except in his case.

23. 0007776 Suspended

It may have violated campaign finance laws if it was intended to provide political cover.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I disagree, to an extent. It will not only include references to Clinton and Lewinsky...

.. but I'd also suspect that they'll play the Kennedy card as well.

I mean, whataboutism to the fullest, n'est-ce pas? ;)

BL.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

That’s something to take up with the hypocrisy of big business evangelicals, not to hold against trump.

I hate the guy, but I can’t for who he sleeps with, not my business.
    Which is precisely why I put that disclaimer in there ;)