Another "buy now or wait" thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JarScott, Mar 19, 2013.

1. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I've had my iPhone 4 since May 2011 and it is, obviously, starting to feel so dated and clunky and slow. I have recently gotten myself into a position where I am able to afford a new iPhone...but here's where the indecision begins. Talking from March 19th with the possibility of an August 5S launch, do I buy an iPhone 5 now or would it be more wise to sit it out until August? I'm really eager to get my hands on a new phone but I feel if I got the 5 now, this late to the party, I'd be disappointed in four month's time when everyone is talking about their awesome new iPhone 5Ses and "I only got my iPhone 5 a few months ago."

On another note: How likely is an August 5S release? Will Apple really move to a 6 month refresh schedule? If we're not likely to see a 5S before October, I'll definitely go straight ahead and grab a 5 now.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't know the answer, but I'll tell you this - if you buy now, the 5S or whatever is next will come out in July. If you don't buy now, it'll come out in Oct/Nov.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

They were talking iPhone 5 being out in July/August of last year. Apple announced it in late August/early September and I didn't get mine until launch day (21 September).

Apple is fairly consistent so I wouldn't expect anything before September. But that's just me. I'd say buy the 5 if you really want a new iPhone. Just like the 4 and 4s no one is going to be able to tell the difference unless you tell them or they have real sharp eyes.

In my case, I don't care. I bought and have an iPhone that changed a form factor. The 5s may have more/better "X" but it follows the design of the 5.

4. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

If you feel you'll be disappointed over not waiting for the iPhone 5S when it is released, I would wait it out. Keep in mind, this years iPhone will only be an "S" model so it'll have the same design as the iPhone 5 only with upgraded internals, and according to rumors, a new camera and probably a new feature or two. If you feel like you can do without the incremental upgrades, then go ahead with the iPhone 5.

As far as a release time frame, it's anybodies guess right now. If history repeats itself, we could see the 5S in September. Although, there have been rumors point towards a June reveal with July release to a release in August or September.

5. briceman macrumors member

I was recently in this position and just went for it. The iPhone 5 is an incredible phone, and you won't be disappointed. The hardware is very solid, and even after the 5s comes out, it will still be a smoking phone! I suggest upgrading!

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I upgraded when I was eligible. Bought my iPhone 3g in Dec. '08, iPhone 4 in Nov. '10 and my iPhone 5 in Oct. '12.

If I was in your shoes, however, I may decide to wait it out and just see what is on the horizon for the 5S. If it has killer features, at least you'll know you're getting the newest at the same cost of the 5 right now. Otherwise, if you can live without the updates you could probably get a 5 in the future for cheaper than current prices.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

If u keep 2 generation subsidized upgrades that's the best bang for the buck.

iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 is big jump.

Faster obviously. Camera is much better than the 4. 2x the RAM.

8. JarScott thread starter macrumors 68040

JarScott

The "killer feature" is the only thing I'm really worried about. People are saying the 5S will include a higher res screen, NFC and fingerprint scanner and available in several colours. Would they really put all of that in an S model?

----------

I like the idea of going 4 to 5 to 6. But there's talk of the 5S being drastically better. Maybe even available in several colours.

9. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

I'm just going to wait until the 5s is released. My iPhone 4 does everything I want it to as of late. Sure I'd like the speed boost of the iPhone 5 but considering the iPhone 5s is just a few months away. Might as well wait. Unless its imperative for you to upgrade, I'd just wait it out for the few months until the iPhone 5s is released. :D

10. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

You want a pink or lime green iPhone?

----------

Also, what's the point of a fingerprint scanner? It sounds cool, but is it practical?

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

IF you need to put "another" in the title, you don't need to make a new thread. You also sound like you have an overwhelming desire to be the BMOC or the center of attention simply based on your statements. IF you get self worth from what cell phone is in your pocket may I suggest checking out some therapists in your area.

IF you want a phone now get it. IF you have to have the "newest" phone to be cool then wait. Good luck.

12. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

I usually dread reading your posts as I find you crude and ignorant (my toes actually curl when I see your username), but I gotta admit this made me "LOL".

13. Matt991 macrumors newbie

14. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Wait for the iPhone 5 w/ a port and polish. (5s)

What a joke.

15. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

hahahaha

Yup

I'm waiting for the 6 but it will probably be 2 more years just because I am waiting. :p

16. lke macrumors 6502a

Life is short, go and buy the iphone 5 tomorrow and when Apple releases the new iphone 5S go and buy it also.

You are going to tell me what you will do with the iphone 5, give it to a family member or a friend, I am sure that somebody will need an iphone 5 and pay you good money for the phone.

When I use an iphone 4S for only seconds I understand and see how outdated is it when compared to the iphone 5.

The screen is too small and the weight is too much, the iphone 5 feels great in your pocket and in your hand, the screen is a lot way better than the iphone 4S.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Well glad I can surprise.

18. JarScott thread starter macrumors 68040

JarScott

Okay, thanks for all your input guys! Any admins around to lock this thread before it becomes uncontrollable? ;-)

----------

I couldn't care less about who sees the device in my hand. I could care that my £500 phone is outdated 4 months after I bought it.

19. Smartass macrumors 6502a

hahahaha:D

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

But that's the entire point. The fact that you bought a device 4 months ago does NOT make that device outdated. I never understood that line of thinking.

21. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Use your intuition.