Another CNN hidden video-CNN thinks Americans are stupid as sh**

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Jun 30, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

Next time you tune into their channel, just remember of what they think of you, the viewer.

Warning, video contains profanity.

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Anyone who thinks that CNN is spreading unbiased and fair news is stupid as ****. They are a business and for them it is all about ratings, nothing more. To think of them any other way is just foolish.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2017 ---
    FYI, the same goes for Fox or any other news outlet. They are driven for ratings and money.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I don't think we as Americans are stupid. Wilfully and tragically ignorant perhaps, but not stupid.

CNN really needs to get some perspective back. I watched Anderson Cooper last night (well, UK morning). There was 15 minutes dedicated to Trump's tweet about Mika Brzezinski (actually it might have been longer but I lost patience and got some shut-eye). Seriously, how long does it take to state the obvious? Trump's tweet was idiotic, rude, hurtful, mean-spirited, and beneath the dignity of the office he holds. Nothing more need to be said. Meanwhile, there were bigger issues about health care, what happens in the Middle East on ISIS is crushed like an overripe mango (thankfully), North Korea, etc., that would seem to me to be a higher priority. After all, it's not really news that Trump often acts like a prat.

In any case, while I was watching this nonsense, it came to me that the reason why people are watching the news these days is that they imagine themselves engaging in the arguments covered by the talking heads, and winning those arguments. Of course, you can only win vicariously such an argument when you watch a biased news discussion show that aligns with your side (and most of the 'news' is dominated by biased editorial shows). It's not just CNN guilty of bias, Faux News is as well, along with other propaganda outlets like RT. Journalism has been sacrificed for political ends of those in power, ratings, and profits.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Got a $1 that says this thread turns into, "Well, ya know, he's kind of right."

Liberals/democrats/progressives will win in 2020 on a The American Voter Is Stupid As Sh** platform.

Promise.

For realz this time.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You lose

6. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Yeah, American voters should get their cue from Europeans, who have voted away their sovereignty and future to faceless bureaucrats in foreign nations in exchange for cheaper iPhones and other trinkets. Brilliant.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I should have put a trigger warning in my post.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We have all learned a lot about our fellow voters in the past couple years...

I won by taking my TV to the e-waste recycle dropoff in 2004. No regrets that I occasionally have to fire up a search engine to understand why someone's getting their 15 seconds of fame on the internet. How disabling of my living a full life was it, really, that I'd had no clue who were the Kardashians until I bumped into some reference to them in this forum?

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Sorry, but CNN (even FOX) is still way more credible than James O'Keefe, who is the founder of that Project Veritas Youtube channel you linked.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Well Americans did vote for Trump, so CNN isn't really wrong.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

The difference is CNN denies their bias. You know Carlson, Hanity are giving you a conservative slant. CNN from Zucker down to Cooper, Burnett, Lemon want you to believe they're objective unbiased journalists. They're a broken news organization when it comes to politics.

12. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Why? I'm not some Millennial pansy. I just enjoy mocking Euro-weenies although I admit to feeling sad at how low these dolts have brought their countries. *shrug*

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Where exactly do they deny it?

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think it's when they started using 'Fair & Balanced' as their company slogan, while supposedly proudly claiming their bias.

Wait...

I think I may have gotten my channels mixed up. ;)

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It needs no proof - it's self evident - just like their unobjective, biased agenda driven political coverage.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

On the contrary, when he twits stupidity and insults constantly then this is the very stuff which should constantly be reported until people are so sick of it that they feel physically sick. Because they should feel physically sick as this is the PRESIDENT saying this stuff. His disregard and disrespect for women is now legendary yet he's allowed to carry on with other business? Heck, no! In any other walk of life for any other individual, they'd be booted out of office for unacceptable conduct yet we're lumbered with this half-wit. Constant reporting of this stuff reinforces how sick Trump is in the head.

Now, you want this sick individual to be dealing with life threatening or life's decisions? Again, heck no. His conduct in personal relationships via his twits is how he'd be in those seriously threatening issues, and nobody wants him to apply his values to such issues.

FWIW, the sickest of them all should be those people who voted for Trump. A group of snakes in the grass who are now trying to slither away. You people are personally responsible for this misfit being in office and you should all pay with a financially crippling fine for your crime.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

One of Hillary's best jabs during the election was "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons."

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd say that when it comes to stupidity, American voters are on par with British voters.

It's not just us.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Fixed that for you.

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

None of what I saw in that clip surprised me one bit. I think we all know by now that CNN has an agenda and they're all about ratings.

Having said that, I can't say I disagree with the first guys assessment of Trump's political leanings. I do agree that he's "playing Republican" and he doesn't give a rip about what conservatives care about.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Watched the first section where your SL came from.

You realize this was a casual conversation right? On any given day anyone in any occupation would tell you that they believe american voters are stupid. Maybe the video goes on to say more. I won't watch because I have no respect for Veritas. Like the CNN they are "exposing" - they are in it for the publicity and ratings (likes, shares, etc).

22. daflake, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

daflake macrumors 6502a

Meh, they all do. The only reason that you now Hanity and Carlson are doing that is because you have accepted that. I know people who think what they say is gold.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Errr... it could be your own viewpoint (from the far right end of the coffee table?) that makes their "agenda" seem particularly biased. I have trouble giving credit where credit is due when Fox hits something out of the park, just because I know they lean right editorially and I hate to say they are actually capable of "fair and balanced" factual observation. But, they are. And, so is CNN. That neither makes a practice of hitting to centerfield speaks more to their knowing their own respective viewerships than to their capabilities. We mostly get the infotainment we have asked for.

As for CNN's political coverage or that of any other media outlet nowadays: political coverage is a minefield. Every "political" word anyone utters nowadays is under a hyerpartisan microscope. You can see it in here. When someone in PRSI has self-acknowledged being a rightie or leftie, and then posts something that's approaching centrism, his/her buddies sometimes apparently roll eyes and pretend not to have seen that particular post, instead of sticking a like on it and chiming in. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough to be noticeable.

We reward partisanship in the USA. GW Bush made it clear enough: "either you're with us or you're against us." He didn't invent that, but he made it gospel. The guy looking to see if there are multiple facets to a story is considered somehow lacking in character.

So when media do run it straight down the middle, about the only thing one can do to disparage it, from either right or left, is to call them "beholden to the establishment", "corporate flunkies", etc. I do that myself, since... ROFL it's true. I mean K street does run this country, we've known that since the 80s when they started writing the legislation in earnest and the congressional researchers and writers were reduced to fact-checking, often enough in vain since the sell-in was coming from K street straight to the Senators' ears...

In here it's fairly comical but when we realize that all the Congressional aides are reacting the same as we do to "centrist" ideas lately, we can better grasp how it is that there's so little reaching across the aisle, at least on big ticket legislation.

The legislators in purple districts do a lot of swapping of ideas trying to come up with something everyone can vote for and no one lose a seat over. Some of it's pretty decent stuff. Chipping away at the edges won't convert the masses of partisans who don't even read about that legislation. How I know this is because when I point out something my GOP congressman voted for that got bipartisan support, the Republicans of my acquaintance tend to say stuff like "So what, it's not like the Democrats come up with anything sensible we can all vote for." This despite the fact the legislation was designed from the ground up with bipartisan support, like funding for Lyme disease or research on tick-borne illnesses in general. I don't know how we turn that around into more bipartisan effort, when the parties themselves don't encourage it outside of minor legislative efforts.

The thing to remember about our politics is that the purpose of a political party is not to demonstrate democracy. It's to preserve and grow the party's power to run "the show". The thing to remember about media coverage of our politics is that it reflects not only the parties' respective agendas but the celebration by those parties of media's ability to put those starkly different messages out there. We may call them biased and be correct, because the sources are respectively biased towards their own views, and we're biased towards hearing what we want to hear. Or, in this age of negativity, biased towards hearing what we don't want to hear and then rushing out to hammer on it. It all gets eyeballs, clicks, subscriptions, advertising revenue: the winners are the owners of media, server farms, net service provision, etc. And, the people who pay K Street.

24. zin macrumors 6502

At this point Trump should just stop *****-footing around. Moving CNN to the back of the room and refusing to accept questions isn't enough. CNN needs to be told that they are not the press. Revoke their press credentials. Do not send anybody to do interviews at CNN. An empty chair would do a better job than Jim "Very Fake News" Acosta.