Another cold war with Russia: Obama's response?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

- A leading General in the Russian Army stated that if the USA installed defensive missiles in Poland , it would be provocation worthy of a Russian nuclear attack on Poland .
    - Gorbachev stated that he felt that a new cold war was developing.
    - This is a few days after Russia invaded Georgia , shockingly reminiscent of Hitler's occupation of the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia in 1939.

The attached link below tells us what Obama plans to do to defend freedom.
    This video does not tell us what Obama is "reported" to have said; this shows him saying it!
    This is an uninterrupted 51-second video of Obama speaking; he's telling us exactly what he will do to the military...watch video before it is removed off the web site.

Peace in our times? Unilateral disarmament ?... Wake-up Obama, your complete lack of leadership experience is painfully obvious:

http://macsmind.com/wordpress/2008/06/08/obama-wants-to-protect-america/

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Heaven forbid that the President of the USA have an intelligent and nuanced foreign policy or that he'd want to end the military-industrial complex. :rolleyes:

3. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Threat of nuclear war? Lets dismantle all the weapons!! Hooray!! And everyone else will do the same, right? Right?? :rolleyes:

There's a distinct difference between a nuanced foreign policy, and a clueless foreign policy.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:confused: i havnt seen the problem.

so he doesnt like rushing into war, and wants to get rid of nukes, OH GOD NO!:rolleyes:

trying to reach peace with negotiation instead of turning the world against us with bully tactics is a bad thing......how?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is "find more, use less" an example of a nuanced policy? :p

Meh, I say, let the Russians have Georgia. Atlanta is a fun town, but we'll still have New Orleans.

6. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Do you really think there's a military solution to nuclear war? The only possible outcome is mutually assured destruction which creates a stalemate environment such that no country wants to fire the first shot. In this scenario, building up more nuclear weapons is an act of frivolity and a gross misappropriation of our nation's wealth, especially when we're essentially charging it to the national credit card for my generation to pay off long after the baby boomers are dead. It's a pretty sweet deal if you're over the hill but it kind of sucks if you're not even 30.

Besides, how are we supposed to flex our muscles if we're fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan, "bomb-bomb-bombing Iran" and any other potential foreign policy issues that may arise. Furthermore, how is a "hockey-mom" supposed to play hardball with guys like Putin should McCain not finish out his term. I'm sorry to say, but the Republican tactics of "going it alone" isn't going to work as we keep spreading ourselves thinner and thinner, unless you want to bring back the draft...

7. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me rephrase my earlier comment: "There's a difference between a nuanced foreign policy, and bending over and spreading your arse cheeks" Sticking your head in the sand doesn't make a problem go away. ;)
    Try reading the news. ;)
    Peace through negotiation is a wonderful thing. Ever heard the phrase "Speak softly and carry a big stick"? Just because you have weapons doesn't mean you use them. Mere possession is an effective deterrent.

Why do you think every major city in the US that instituted gun-ban laws, saw an immediate rise in violent crime after the laws took effect? When the bad guys know that "you ain't got one", they're not afraid to push you around. Same concept.

LMAO too true, nothing but a big airport and a lot of traffic in Atlanta! :p

8. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess you haven't been reading the news? Negotiations are currently underway with the Iraqi government, to withdraw all combat troops from Iraq before the end of next year. This agreement will likely be solidified before the next president even takes office. Although I'm sure Obama will be eager to take credit for "ending the war" should he be elected. :rolleyes:

And if you think "hockey mom" can't play hard ball, what do you expect Obama to do? I agree that she doesn't have much experience - but Obama has even less! Now that's frightening. :eek:

9. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I totally agree with what Obama just stated. Seriously, what is so wrong with trying to achieve peace? Trying to rid the world of the most dangerous weapons? I see nothing wrong with that.

We have become such a war-mongering nation. Why should our society be in a constant state of fear? Commies, Cold War, Terrorists? I say they are all a fabrication to keep the will of the people down. Peace=true prosperity. War=powerful, corrupt government practices.

We are NOT a nation at war. Our government just wants you to THINK we are, so they can rule with a heavy fist.

10. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I know. And area 51 is full of space aliens, Elvis is still alive, and that half-baby-half-octopus mutant on the cover of all the tabloids is real - but the government doesn't want you to know. It's a conspiracy I tell you!!! Don't forget to put on your tin foil hat before you go to bed or they'll read your brain all night long and you'll be late for school tomorrow. ;)

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Oh please. Are you f****** kidding me? Obama has less experience than miss redneck from nowheresville? [​IMG]

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Hey, come on now. She's from Alaska. That's right up there next to Russia.

13. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to break the news to you, but yes, far less. Maybe do a little homework next time before choosing your vote. Obama has what, a couple years or so as a Senator-but-not-really-cause-he's-been-campaigning-the-whole-time?

I don't like the idea of Senators-turned-President to begin with. A Senator isn't in charge. A senator isn't responsible for the functioning of a large organization. A Presidential candidate should have experience running some large organization. Like a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, or, I dunno, like Governor of a state.

Being a Governor who was active and in office for a few years counts as far, far more experience than being an absentee senator. Plus even in the short time she's been in office, she lowered taxes, cut spending, and balanced the budget. The only thing Obama has experience in, is campaigning for office.

And we're comparing apples and oranges here anyways. Palin is running for 2nd in command. Mr. Inexperience, oops, I mean Obama is running for the Oval Office.

Sorry, Obama, but to get my vote, you need at least a little bit of experience, and half of a clue - and you've shown yourself to have neither.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

So how can you support Senator John McCain?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

John McCain doesn't have a single day of executive experience either.

16. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Except the "apple" this "orange" would replace has been on the tree way too long and has cancer. The odds that Palin would need to step in is MUCH higher than if McCain was 10-20 years younger and not plagued by melanoma. I think Obama is capable of channeling his inner Chuck Norris, you seriously can't picturing him talking tough with foreign leaders? I agree that he doesn't have the same experience as McCain in foreign affairs, but I think his attitude towards diplomacy is more rational and has the potential to save us a LOT of money down the road.

17. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course, and make no mistake, I'm not happy about that either - but the ballot is between two senators, so we have no other choice here.

He does however have far more political experience, having held many more offices and government positions, and for a much longer period of time, making him much better equipped than the n00b.

18. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the OP's answer to this.

So, it's a non-issue then. Now that this is off the table, you claim that sitting on a city council of a small town for 4 years, being the mayor of the same small town for 8 years, and Governor of a state with the population 1/5 of Chicago is "far more experience" than being a State Senator for 7 years and a Federal senator for 2? In other words, being in office for a whopping 5 years is "far more experience"?

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

George Bush had political experience (and executive experience to boot) and look at how badly he f**ked this country up.

20. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree that's a distinct possibility, unfortunate as it is. "Channeling his inner Chuck Norris" lol nice phrase, I like that one. ;) I don't doubt that Obama could "talk tough", on the contrary, I think he's capable enough of that. I just don't think he has anywhere near enough experience to be saying the right things. He has good intentions, that I can see, but I think he's misguided in quite a few areas.

For example, you and I both know he's going to raise taxes as soon as (if) he gets into office. Now believe me when I say this - that will screw our economy and make it sour even further. When taxes go up, people liquidate assets - fact. Stocks will be sold, houses will be sold, and in this already soft market, it will surely spiral into recession.

Now this raising of taxes is I think in earnest, he wants to reduce national debt, etc. but the timing is all wrong, and he won't see that due to his inexperience.

This one reason alone is why many of my typically Democrat-voting friends (who are in the financial industry) are voting for McCain. Trust me, they don't like it ;) but their livelihood very much depends on it. Mortgage brokers and investment bankers and portfolio managers all lose their jobs when the economy goes into a full-on recession - and that's what they all believe Obama will cause (despite their firm democrat-voting records!!)

21. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

You missed it. Post #17. ;)

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Do you know his tax plans or are you just reciting FUD? I know I'd be taxed more under McCain than Obama.

23. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Read my post #20 again (I just made a bunch of edits). I have many friends in the financial industry who do things like mortgage brokering, asset management, etc. and being the financial geeks they are ;) they've poured through both candidates economic plans. And even though some of these guys are hard-core dems (like I know many of you mac folk are), Obama's plan scares them enough that they're voting for McCain. Voting Red is a first for some of them, and yes, I'm enjoying giving them a hard time over it! :D

I'm not talking only about personal income tax, but rather all the taxes are levied against individuals. Real estate taxes, capital gains taxes, etc. Obama wants to increase taxes on the wealthy - if there's a date on the calendar when capital gains tax goes up by a large amount, you better believe there's going to be a MASSIVE stock sell off. Same with real estate. That's bad news, real bad. The markets will plummet to new lows, it'll be like the tech bubble bursting all over again, only worse.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Then why attack Obama on being a senator?

Look hear it is very simply, no job, save Prime Minister, President, etc of another country which no one running has, can get you ready 100% for the job.

Obama led communities, was in the Illinois senate, and the US senate, sure he hasn't done it as much as McCain, but he knows how to lead. Heck he's got a better idea of foreign policy then McCain. Experience is only as good as the lessons it has taught you, and McCain missed some of those lessons. Obama is talking sense and logic on how to deal with Iran, Iraqi, etc...while McCain is doing the stuff that clearly failed in the last 8 years.

As for your claim that "Obama doesn't have a clue", thats ridiculous. He's run a great campaign, pushed politics to a level where the things that matter are the stance on issues facing America, and has brought a ton of new people into caring about politics.

But anytime McCain wants to focus on issues, Obama will be ready. Obama is gonna show in a debate, that he has strong stances on issues, including ones McCain loves to say he has a lead on(international policy)

Also, I think you're missing Obama's plan with nukes, he doesn't plan to over night get rid of them, he wants to slowly do it, as other counties agree to it. Its not a "lets hope they do", its a "let's work with counties to saves lives, by decreasing nukes worldwide, by stepping up to do them same here at home"

25. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Yes, he wants to roll back the tax cuts for the top 2% of the country that hold 80% of the wealth and give tax cuts for the 98% of us that hold 20% of the wealth. Boo hoo. I guess the rich won't be able to buy their third yacht with their refunds.

No, in fact I responded to it. But I suppose your post selection skills are as apt as your political arguments.