Another Conflict of Interest: "Invest in us, Earn US Citizenship!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, May 8, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is what everyone has been concerned and warned others about when it comes to Donald Trump, his family, his associates, and the potential abuses of power that can be made.

In this example, it centers around China, the Kushner family, including Ivanka Trump, and what investors get if they work with them. From NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/08/52735...rom-kushner-real-estate-firm-raises-questions

This is so close to bribery, let alone using the potential power of government to advance a business that there is no way this should not pass any scrutiny. I've heard this this morning on Morning Edition; it's being updated and expanded on tonight's All Things Considered, and is worse than how it sounds from this morning. In fact, it's outright disgusting.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/08/52745...vestors-highlights-controversial-visa-program

BL.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

bring yobs to the U.S by buying your way in and investing so that you create yobs..............

looks like Trump is keeping his promise to bring work and is using the existing loophole to do it.............

where is the problem again?

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not really a conflict since the Visa program is administered by the State Dept. and the records are VERY public.
    If you were trying to do something shady, this is not the program to be doing it with.
    This has been around since 1990 and used a lot. The whole purpose is to attract foreign investment in US ventures with the carrot of a green card. All the rules and time restrictions still apply just as they do for any other green card holder.
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    I saw it... meaningless drivel.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, you're not getting it. The family of the POTUS is offering this for properties held by the family of the POTUS. That is a huge conflict of interest, especially when the family of the POTUS is using US law to get other people to invest in their properties and get US citizenship for doing so. You can not leverage the power of the POTUS within your family to entice outside entities to invest with you. Again, a huge conflict of interest. And also, possible Emoluments Clause violation.

You may want to read up on the Constitution regarding that clause; you may have missed it.

And you obviously haven't seen the OP, where it has been stated that there is BIPARTISAN criticism of said program by congress, so as you say, especially regarding "**** stirring by the left": meaningless drivel.

BL.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Frankly, I'm not opposed to the idea that business owners or huge investors being able to "buy" US citizenship. Many of our allies already offer this, and it works pretty well for them. The only issue I see is that the US requires way too little and bases way too much on projections and predictions.

I think the US should require investing minimum $50mil in a business which is wholly US-based and operated (whether existing or new) and employs at least 50 people in the United States full-time with benefits per visa investor, require the investor to live in the US at least 10 months of the year no exceptions, and require the investor to not liquidate their shares in the business for at least 5 years before their visa matures into full citizenship. The business would be subject to an optional annual audit to ensure the business is run in good faith and isn't just a shell. These requirements would be onerous, but I think U.S. citizenship is worth it.

10. Zenithal macrumors 603

I can't say I agree with the policy and certainly don't agree with what the Kushner's are doing, but foreign investment has been wonderful for driving out crime and impoverished communities in some parts of California, such as Oakland. Don't get me wrong, the poor losing their homes isn't good. However, construction has began on previously uninhabited areas that being built with new communities and affordable housing in the forms of traditional homes, town houses, condos and even apartment buildings. 20 years ago, Palmdale was more or less a hellhole. It's become a vibrant community now and its house prices are going up. Those who invested early on by choosing to live there are benefiting from the system. Palmdale is no Rancho Santa Fe, but it might be one day.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Confirmed:

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if trump is that stupid then lock him up.

13. rjohnstone, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Kushner sold off his interest in the property mentioned in the article. He stands to make nothing from it.

None of the individuals soliciting for investments is a member of the federal government. The Emoluments Clause does not apply.

EDIT: If Kushner or POTUS directs the State Dept. to give preferential treatment to the VISA applications of these investors, THEN you have a violation of the law.
    Until then, it's just the equivalent of name dropping.

NPR is about as left as they come... hence the **** stirring comment.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

But isn't this exactly how the EB-5 program works? It's not like this was an exclusive offer that only the Kushners could make. You, or I, or anyone could have made this offer to any investor and it would have been equally valid.

It might seem fishy on the surface but I don't see where the conflict of interest is.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

conflict of interest and fishy would be getting a "donation" to the foundation for Russia to get the uranium deal............... :D

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Jared isn't running this company anymore so you will need some proof for your conflict charge, this visa program was running under Obama as well. Just because something with Kushners last name on it does something doesn't mean he has any direct involvement.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you won't let that false news go will you???
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    he is doing business deals though right?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

False? Did she get a "donation"? Yes or no? Did the deal go through after? Yes or no

19. 0007776 Suspended

I think the real question is has the Kushner's company been doing these kinds of events even before Trump was running or are they starting them now to try to drive the investment to them over other other companies because of the perceived connection to the president?

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

do you have any evidence it was about the uranium or not???

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Good point. If the implication was that these investors were getting some sort of special treatment because they were dealing with Trump's family, I would find that highly unethical. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

23. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

It's Obama's fault.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Nah. Program is from the 90's.

25. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Must be 42's fault then. Extra points if you can directly blame HRC!