Another conservative getting divorced...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

If you actually read the article (or really even just the title), you'd realize that it was Mel's wife that filed for divorce. I'm pretty sure that Mel doesn't want the divorce and, being a rather conservative Catholic, I'm also pretty sure he won't remarry.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why is news of Mel Gibson's pending divorce in the PRSI forum?

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So we can insult conservatives under the guise of political discussion.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Seriously though- don't really care. The guy's an anti-Semite and his father is far worse. What comes around, goes around.

5. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

good, so I'm not too late.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Ol' Sugartits is self-evidently stark raving bonkers with despicable political beliefs, but it doesn't explain why news of his divorce is in the PRSI forum, or why I care... or, therefore, why I'm posting about it! :eek:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe she decided she doesn't like the sober Mel.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Was he the one that got pulled over for driving drunk then yelled at the cop for being Jewish? I forgot that was him!

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. That would be him.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

+1

I hope we can stay above celebrity gossip.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

True - after all, Mel Gibson is probably better known for being an actor or director than as a conservative.

The headline could just as easily have read, "Another Australian* getting divorced," or "Another Catholic getting divorced," or "Another drunk getting divorced." Pointing him out as a conservative doesn't seem to add anything to the story so much as it offers up another excuse to bash conservatives.

* I know he was born in America, but he grew up in Australia.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's always been known to me first and foremost as a conservative, verging on racist. Second- he's a crappy actor in s***y movies.

13. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Except that drunks and Australians don't go around touting how they have "family values" that somehow make them better than everyone else like many conservatives do.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I hope the divorce ends amicably and both of them are able to move forward with their lives.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He certainly couldn't move much further backward.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And neither do all conservatives. I would consider myself a conservative on many issues, I believe that family values are important, and I've been divorced. Nowhere in there do I think I'm better than anyone else.

Your generalization of conservatives is no more valid or less offensive than someone else's generalization of any social, ethnic, or religious group.

Really, first as a conservative? Even before Mad Max, Gallipoli, etc.? I'll admit I'm a little out of the loop on a lot of things, but the first I ever heard anything at all about his social or political views was when he was making The Passion of the Christ.

17. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Thus the use of "many" in my statement. Had I wanted to include you, I would have used "all". Whenever someone spouts off about "family values", nine times out of ten its a conservative. The one of ten is usually someone trying to defend themselves from the other nine.

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That doesn't change the fact that it's still a generalization that reveals an underlying prejudice. In general, it's the Ad Hominem fallacy.

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

First, your implication that being conservative indicates a path towards racism is intellectually bankrupt. Second, Braveheart is an amazing movie.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Except it's not

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Your argument is statistically anomalous. Now, if you can prove somehow that a higher percentage of married conservatives to married liberals get a divorce, than I would say you're on to something.

This just in "Random Obama voter caught driving SUV."

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god- you know what I meant. I never said it was path leading to racism. At the same time, I don't know too many liberal racists.

No-Braveheart was terrible movie, along with most of the rest of the miserable tripe he's been in. Mad Max was probably the only decent thing he's ever done.

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I don't base my opinions on other people's opinions. I say it's awesome, because in my opinion it is awesome. I found it to be incredibly entertaining, insipring, gut-wrenching (literally at the end), and well worth the 2.5 hours spent watching.

For what it's worth... I think you'd find MANY more people that would say they liked Braveheart than the opposite.

BTW, 76% on Rotten Tomato and it won the "Best Picture" Academy Award if I'm not mistaken.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

It's utter crap. I formed that opinion on my own when I watched it.