Another "Controversial" Nobel Peace Prize Winner—CHINA IS FURIOUS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rt&Dzine, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The Chinese government is so outraged that Liu Xiaobo won the Nobel Peace Prize that . . .

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This Nobel committee knows how to piss people off. Fox News last year, China this year. Good!

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

The nobel peace prize award judges are Commies that's all i gotta say :p j/k

4. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

The Chinese government reacted as expected. I give it a few years before it's going to be overthrown by the people.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the prize this year reflects a well-deserved criticism of the how the Chinese government handles human rights. However, I am afraid that's all it will come to--the Chinese have blocked this news in their own country.

China is so rich and important in the world economy that it will always be able to do what it wants. The question is, as their worldwide importance grows how will their economic influence eventually impact human rights in other countries?

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, that was weird. I heard people say the same thing about the USA 20+ years ago.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

After the bs award last year for the prize it is pretty much worthless and mmeaningless any how.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

One winner that you disagree with is enough for you to jettison the whole award despite it's history?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think when we dug into that one one more it was found that they used it more than once to make a political statement. That just lock in my belief of how worthless the Peace prize had become.

You get the prize for what you did. Not what you could do. Therefor after last year the award lost huge amounts of how much it was worth because it was a pretty bad choice and 99% political.

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Actually, this year's winner is more appropriate than last year's. Last year's was premature this one long overdue.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You think this year's isn't political? Look at the response from China! Using the prize for political reasons is a good idea IMHO. That said, I'm not sure what kind of political statement they were really making last year. Just a big sigh of relief that Bush is gone? Obama is no Jimmy Carter, but maybe they thought he would be.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is it even possible to award a peace prize that isn't political?

13. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Does anyone even know anything about Liu Xiaobo or the Chinese public's opinion of him? It isn't exactly high. A dissident he is, but a force of good, he isn't. In reality he's become bitter and wayward in not thinking before he speaks. He's lost his supposed clout with his own people.

Beyond that, the Nobel peace prize isn't exactly a meaningful award, at least not since the days of the likes of Lester B. Pearson and other people who literally did perform humanitarian acts that promoted peace.

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Perhaps one isn't enough, but when Kissenger and Arafat won it, it was pretty hard to swallow. Throw in Gore (regardless of your politics, climate change is NOT peace) and Obama (for...talking?) and perhaps you'll better understand some people's skepticism.

This year's winner seems worthy, though. Sadly, various news organizations are reporting he's all but disappeared off the map since the award went public. My guess is he's as good as dead, if not dead already.

As a side note, it was pretty funny that Beijing summoned the Norwegian ambassador about the thing--like it was HIS fault :p