Another Democrat will announce retirement from the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/tim-johnson-retirement_n_2954549.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

This race will be a shoe-in for the Republicans. As a South Dakotan we used to be able to put moderate Democrats into office, but I think Johnson will be the last.

I joke at this point that there is no reason for the Democrats to even contest this seat. They should just give the Republican the seat and save the money.

It seems to me that the Democrats have to defend a lot of these seats in pretty Republican country in 2014 to maintain control. I can see now why Reid wanted to dump Feinstein's radical gun control bill like a hot potato.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure you're right about it being an easy race for Republicans, but I wouldn't give up all hope. The Republicans were able to loose some pretty easy races last time, it only takes the candidate saying one or two really stupid things and it can kill their chances, and they probably will have to say those kinds of things to win a Republican primary.

That said I would somewhat find it interesting to see what the Republicans would do if they didn't have the Democratic senate to blame for everything...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about demographics which each election favour the Democrats more and more?

4. iMikeT macrumors 68020

One word that prevents that, gerrymandering.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Gerrymandering can only achieve so much.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yeah, like Republicans holding a majority in our House of Representatives when Democrats had 1.5 million votes in the last election.