Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Personally I never use my own or people on this forum’s experiences to judge Apple’s stuff, we’re not typical users. It’s friends and families who have the phones and just want to use them that really show it.

This weekend at dinner my friends were taking some pictures and wanted to share them with each other. To their surprise when they swiped up from the bottom of the screen the air drop toggle wasn’t there (as it had been in iOS 10, neither had planned to update iOS 11). They proceeded to spend ages looking for it then ask me why Apple got rid of a good feature. When I said they hadn’t, my friends argued and said it wasn’t there. I took the phone, 3D Touched on the controls and there it was. They didn’t even know what 3D Touch was never mind that you had to use it to access a basic feature. Had I not been there, they’d have believed the feature was gone and never used it. As it is, they’re less enthused about the new iOS because, in their words “why bother changing something for the worse that was so simple”. Sad.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To be fair, people not being used to using a new way of interacting with something doesn't necessarily make it bad just because of that.
Ya know people have been driving for a 127 years. Everyone knows you press the gas to go, brake to stop and steer the car. Yet something so simple and intuitive as this....one still needs to learn. What does this say about more complex things?

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
The problem is if technology only served to make ignorant people comfortable our wheels would still be rectangular.
Hahahaha! Excellent!
[doublepost=1510632402][/doublepost]
Ya know people have been driving for a 127 years. Everyone knows you press the gas to go, brake to stop and steer the car. Yet something so simple and intuitive as this....one still needs to learn. What does this say about more complex things?
And yet, the greatest source of car crashes and deaths is...drivers. Some people just shouldn't be trusted with heavy machinery, whether it's due to intellect (or lack thereof), temperament, or inattentiveness. I think the same goes for any technology people use. Should we have been stranded in 1985 because people were 'afraid' of computers? Because they were, the 'normal' adults.

Reactions: haruhiko

Plumber007

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2016
They didn’t even know what 3D Touch was never mind that you had to use it to access a basic feature. Had I not been there, they’d have believed the feature was gone and never used it.

too many buttons can be bewildering for lots of people. I visit 20 to 30 household a week and see people hold the volume
button rather than pressing mute regularly. Hide a function off screen? forget it, the ios 11 user guide is 700 pages on my ipad.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Sorry, what’s the issue? There is a simple and straightforward way to share and from what I’ve seen steps have been taken to make it more consistent and intuitive.

Reactions: JM

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Personally I never use my own or people on this forum’s experiences to judge Apple’s stuff, we’re not typical users. It’s friends and families who have the phones and just want to use them that really show it.

This weekend at dinner my friends were taking some pictures and wanted to share them with each other. To their surprise when they swiped up from the bottom of the screen the air drop toggle wasn’t there (as it had been in iOS 10, neither had planned to update iOS 11). They proceeded to spend ages looking for it then ask me why Apple got rid of a good feature. When I said they hadn’t, my friends argued and said it wasn’t there. I took the phone, 3D Touched on the controls and there it was. They didn’t even know what 3D Touch was never mind that you had to use it to access a basic feature. Had I not been there, they’d have believed the feature was gone and never used it. As it is, they’re less enthused about the new iOS because, in their words “why bother changing something for the worse that was so simple”. Sad.
I recently started to use AirDrop for sending pics to my wife. I’ve been accessing it through the share button. What do you 3D Touch to access it?

Reactions: haruhiko

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Sorry, what’s the issue? There is a simple and straightforward way to share and from what I’ve seen steps have been taken to make it more consistent and intuitive.
I would argue that iOS 11 behavior of not turning off the Bluetooth and wifi when pressing in CC is following what I found Apple's mantra in early 2000's OSX: make the unimportant stuff a non-issue so a user can more quickly and thoughtlessly get to the things that help them accomplish what they want to do.

I always found OSX to be intuitive and very aware of what the user cared about (I can only speak to early 2000's OSX)

So, the behavior of the CC "hiding" the airdrop is an example of hiding a task that should intuitively "just work". Perhaps Airdrop should have never been so prominent in CC.

This is coming from a person who is quick to criticize Apple :)

*agreeing with you, if that wasn't clear.

** just remembered how much I loved OS X. I wish iOS could return to the intuitive "we know best" design.
[doublepost=1510636515][/doublepost]

iOS is not intuitive, I agree. More complex and useful, but not simple and intuitive. Maybe that's the trade off to get what we have today.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Windows Phone is even more so.
I have Windows Phones (Lumia 820 and Lumia 735) and they had the best looking interface and seemed the most intuitive out of all 3 OS to me. Too bad no one bothered to develop for it. Still have a soft spot for Nokia.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I thought
I recently started to use AirDrop for sending pics to my wife. I’ve been accessing it through the share button. What do you 3D Touch to access it?

I think it’s for changing the airdrop settings between off, or contacts and everyone - force touch the airplanes mode, mobile data, WiFi or Bluetooth icons to get into sub menu to change airdrop recipients.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
They didn’t know that 3D Touch existed? It’s been an iPhone thing for years.

You’re not talking about “your average iPhone user,” you’re talking about two remedial iPhone users. Why should we use them as a benchmark? They exist, but they’ll always be behind the curve.
My brother, his wife and a couple of other people I know did not. I showed it to them and they acted like I just discovered fire.

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.