Another "family values" champion goes... well, you can guess the rest.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't know whether to post this in the PRSI section or in a dating forum. I guess it is political in nature, but as a single guy who wishes he could meet more women, I'm beginning to think the key to meeting women is to campaign my way into office on a "family values" ticket. Anyway, California state representative Michael Duvall (R) has again proven that those who bark "family values" the loudest, get the most action. I am so running for office.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...akers_graphic_sex-bragging_caught_on_tape.php

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Hopefully his wife kicks him to the curb followed closely by the voters doing the same.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Dang, what is with these politicians? Its like the higher their political moral code, the nastier they are behind the scenes, like their platform is a front for their personal lives. Sad.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow...how embarrassing for the women to be dragged into media exposure like this. (We'll probably be told who "Shar" is eventually.)

I don't feel a bit sorry for the guy. What a dummy.

Which I guess shouldn't surprise me. Doesn't he look kind of like the mayor from Spin City? :D

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Imagine that. Not surprising at all. Some family values. :rolleyes:

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I don't understand. A Republican gets caught with another woman and its the end of the world and they need to resign immediately. But when Clinton and Edwards do it, its not that big of a deal.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They never claimed to be perfect.

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Why is it embarrassing for the woman to be dragged into it? She sounds like a slut whoring for money, just getting paid by her employer and not her john. If we should feel sorry for the woman in this we should feel sorry for his wife. Not that corporate whore who simply was called out for doing what she was paid to do.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why does she sound like a corporate whore/slut looking for money?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They weren't running around telling everyone else about "family values" now, were they? Big difference. If you're going to tell everyone else how to live, then you damn well better be living that way yourself.

But the congressman was completely innocent, right? :rolleyes:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's not just politicians. This happens in all walks of life - but it's not going to make the news when a burger flipper does it.

I can't disagree there. Although I was critical of Clinton at the time, simply because he should have known better, plain and simple.

You seem to be suggesting that committing adultery is OK as long as you don't come out in support of family values beforehand. Am I right?

I used to think it was a given that you shouldn't cheat on your spouse, regardless of whether you're a politician or not, regardless of whether you trumpet the importance of family values. Have we really given everyone a free pass to screw around on someone as long as they never said cheating is wrong?

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Ever since society at large decided that shame and negative consequences were Bad Things, then yes. Articles like the one here seem to pop up not to shame, but to ridicule. Different beast altogether.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's not okay, it's just not hypocritical. This is what their whole platform is based on, family values and demonizing those who don't share their lifestyle. Interestingly enough these politicians don't go by what they say either. :rolleyes:

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not advocating hypocrisy at all, but are you suggesting that hypocrisy is bad and adultery is okay? Because the gist of this whole thing was that Clinton and Edwards each got a free pass, while the "family values champion" doesn't.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No one should get a free pass, but if your whole campaign and platform is based on something that you yourself won't execute then you shouldn't be a politician. Since obviously they don't believe in what they're preaching.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You want the truth? Adultery has nothing to do with anyone but the people involved. It's nobody's damn business to tell others how to conduct their personal lives in this regard. So no- I don't give a crap if Bill Clinton gets a BJ in the White House from someone other than his wife, and I don't care who Edwards or Duvall screw either. But if you're a politician who's going to sit there and pass judgment on others for this kind of thing, then you damn well better be living up to those standards yourself. And if you aren't going to do that, you should shut the hell up and get out of politics.

19. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I personally feel that if a person is committing adultery and lying to their wife about it, they should not be trusted at all. If they are willing to lie to the most important person in their life, why should I believe that they would honestly represent me?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

See- there's the problem. How do you know what's really going on in someone's personal life? How do you know that maybe Hillary knew about Bill's trysts and didn't care? Also, anyone you know who's had an affair you suddenly no longer trust yourself? Really? Really?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really wish we didn't give a **** about people's personal lives when they in public service.....as long as it doesn't interfere I don't care if the guy buys hookers in bulk.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- because it's none of my business, and it doesn't matter.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In this case it matters a lot. She is a lobbyist and he sits on the commerce committee.

Add em up.. I'm guessing there's a lot of "lobbyist" that screw congressmen to get their agenda through.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we all mentioned that "as long as it doesn't interfere with their job" already, but maybe I didn't. ;) You are correct.