Another famous name

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 28, 2014.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Since the 1950s the GOP has had a Nixon, Dole, or Bush on every ticket save one up through 2004. The democrats have had some pretty big political names, too like Kennedy and Clinton.

Will we have "Carter" join the fold for political families? Is it a good thing that some families have politics as a trade that runs through their blood? Is it counter intuitive to our democracy?

https://carterforgovernor.com/

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

As long as they are democratically elected, I don't mind.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In politics a famous name is probably similar to a "brand" in the corporate world. Just as you know what something from Apple or Nike stands for in terms of computing products or athletic gear, then "Bush" "Clinton" or "Carter" I guess means something in politics.

Is it a good thing?

I don't think we want the United States to turn into a hereditary monarchy. But people still get to choose who they vote for. Of probably greater consequence is the accumulation of immense private fortunes, with no effective estate taxes or other mechanisms to prevent them gaining greater and greater control of the country.

That bothers me a lot more than the prospect of a third President Bush or a Second President Clinton.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Not going to happen...