Another Gitmo released terrorist returns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewitt, Jul 14, 2016.

1. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

For what?

This might be new information to you: Detainees have been released, because they can't be charged with a crime.

It sounds like you are in favor of indefinite detention and murder without due process.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Those in GITMO should be tried & convicted or freaking released.

4. thewitt thread starter macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes I support the death of terrorists. Sorry you don't get it.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yes we know you want to kill or indefinitely detain muslims even if they haven't committed a crime. Sorry you don't get it.

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

He is the Black man who invaded this guys White house.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama is the convenient target right now, the OP did not read his article past the headline

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I don't understand detention or death at the hands of the state without due process. I don't get that at all.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As JK pointed out, this was in 2004....

You didn't even make it to the end of paragraph TWO.

12. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ha, ha. Nice. Great post, as always @thewitt !

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

EXACTLY, charge them or let them go.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well perhaps Bush should have gotten the justice department to charge him with something and let the courts sentence him to life in prison instead of letting him go.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in this case you CAN say it's Bush's fault :D

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. thewitt thread starter macrumors 68020

thewitt

I know you don't get it, but my criticism of Obama is that he has NOT LEARNED from the mistakes that Bush made, and CONTINUES to release terrorists from Gitmo.

I know, it's a leap in logic that's hard for some to grasp.

I was just as hard on Bush at the time for giving into the democrat pressure to release prisoners.

The good news? Obama's new policies mean no more prisoners. Just kill them all on the battlefield. Now this does limit the amount of intelligence we can gather and lives will be lost that intelligence could have saved, but there won't be any more choice to make about what to do with detainees.

They will die on the battlefield instead.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

was that not going to change? 1/2 or something like that was suggested IIRC.

19. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

By law, we have to. If this is a problem for you, take it up with the U.S. constitution.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Didn't Obama promise to close Gitmo and extricate the United States from Bush's Middle East wars?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes, but he decided to do the complete opposite and sign indefinite detention w/o trial into law.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Then put them on trial and convict them!

If you don't have the evidence needed to do that, there's no choice but to release them.

Also, great job reading. As others posted, you're so ****ing blinded by your Obama derangement syndrome that you couldn't even read the part about this guy being released in 2004.

So Illinois State Senator Obama was releasing prisoners from Gitmo in 2004? LOL.

EPIC FAIL, @thewitt.

Obama has tried to close Gitmo multiple times but the useless ***** in Congress have prevented it every time.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    I didn't see anything in "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state; the right of the people to bear arms should not be infringed." that talked about due process...

Wait...

There's more to the Constitution than the 2nd amendment???

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You take any group of prisoners, imprisoned for any imaginable transgression: Shoplifting; armed robbery; domestic violence.

Over time, you are faced with a fundamental decision: If you release any of them, then there is a non-zero chance that one or more of them will re-offend in some way. You hope that they don't. You take steps to rehabilitate them, to monitor their post-release behavior. But no matter what you do, non-zero still means non-zero.

The alternative is basically sentence anyone convicted of a crime to either lifetime imprisonment, or a death sentence. Call it the 18th century British version of justice. Sheep stealers and child pickpockets sent to the gallows or transported to Australia.

I'm not sure we really want to be a society where being convicted of a crime means life in prison. And, from a purely cost-benefit standpoint - the cost to society of imprisoning people forever probably outweighs whatever societal costs accrue to the occasional instance where a released prisoner re-offends.

You are falling into the trap set for you by a sensationalist media. The thousand released prisoners who don't reoffend don't make the news. The one who does makes the politician or bureaucrat who released him a fool or a villain.