Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSBW21086

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
I was planning on going with the Velociraptor 300gb as a boot drive for my Mac Pro. Then I was thinking maybe 2 400GB Samsung Spinpoint F1's in RAID-0 might be quicker. NOT TO MENTION HALF THE PRICE and 100 gb more storage.

I have seen benchmarks of the two at barefeats Although the F1's in the comparison are 640gb the performance should be on par with the 400gb correct?Looks like the spinpoint F1 striped outperformed the velociraptor single in every category besides random 4k read.

Thoughts? Reliability of raid as boot drive? Half price?:eek:

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The Velociraptor should have the better random-access seek times, but sustained read and write would be better with the RAID 0 setup.

Just keep a good back-up around since when one of those drives goes, so goes all your data.

parkie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
I was planning on going with the Velociraptor 300gb as a boot drive for my Mac Pro. Then I was thinking maybe 2 400GB Samsung Spinpoint F1's in RAID-0 might be quicker. NOT TO MENTION HALF THE PRICE and 100 gb more storage.

I have seen benchmarks of the two at barefeats Although the F1's in the comparison are 640gb the performance should be on par with the 400gb correct?Looks like the spinpoint F1 striped outperformed the velociraptor single in every category besides random 4k read.

Thoughts? Reliability of raid as boot drive? Half price?:eek:

As far as I can tell Samsung don't make a F1 400GB drive, it's 320 or 500GB, are you sure it's an F1?

p

wflan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
the barracuda 7200.11 is a very quick drive for a less than these availible in very high capacities. I'd look into it if I were you.

FSBW21086

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
went with velociraptor for boot drive at 750gb barracuda for photo storage. Hope it will be fast enough for my lightroom thumbnail rendering. Also ordered extra 8gb of ram (hopefully enough)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
went with velociraptor for boot drive at 750gb barracuda for photo storage. Hope it will be fast enough for my lightroom thumbnail rendering. Also ordered extra 8gb of ram (hopefully enough)

Can you report back about noise on that thing.

barefeats testing says the velociraptor really didn't significantly improve boot times (maybe a second or something), but I know I used to use 15K scsi drives in my rigs and despite what hte benchmarks says they were always more responsive systems.

I might buy one of those things, but I'm leary about the NOISE - pleased to hear your experience once you get installed.

FSBW21086

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Can you report back about noise on that thing.

barefeats testing says the velociraptor really didn't significantly improve boot times (maybe a second or something), but I know I used to use 15K scsi drives in my rigs and despite what hte benchmarks says they were always more responsive systems.

I might buy one of those things, but I'm leary about the NOISE - pleased to hear your experience once you get installed.

will do .. stuff expected to arrive on Wednesday due to holiday weekend

the 320 gb stocker is killing me

FSBW21086

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Installed the VELOCIRAPTOR boot drive (thank you carboncopycloner) and did a Raid 0 of two seagate barracude 7200.11 750gb drives for my scratch disk.

The setup is now as follows

Boot - 300gb velociraptor (using esata connector on motherboard and OWC mercury elite external case)
Scratch/Photo Storage - Barracudda 7200.11 750gb RAID0
Backup - Barracudda 7200.10 750gb
Misc - Stock 350 gb

I am thinking of getting another 7200.10 750 to raid the existing with.
This would allow me to setup a 0+1 array. Is this easy to setup in Disk utility?

Would it be a problem mirroring the two raids when one is a 7200.11 raid0 and the other is 7200.10 raid0? I dont want to slow things down.

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
I've got 2 750GB F1's in software RAID0. The only slow down I've noticed, which may not be caused by the RAID0, is when watching media. DVDs, iTunes SD or HD content all do the same thing where the frame freezes for a split second with the sound continuing, then plays catchup by skipping a few frames. This doesn't occur on my (latest gen) 24" iMac.

I'm going to put in my stock 320GB, restore from TimeMachine and see if that makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.