Another Human Gets It

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Digital Skunk, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Full Editorial: Here

Please have a read. It's just another post in the ever difficult battle to get Europeans and European Americans to understand the concept of white privilege, and how the recent issues going on with the NBA are major, but will still continue unless our country has serious conversations about race, ethnicity and culture.

This also may help those that use the term "race card" or "reverse racism" understand how it's the most white privileged thing to say.

Thoughts welcomed of course.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Digital,

I do appreciate your continued attempts on these forums to point out exactly what white privilege entails. I realize it has to be amazingly frustrating as I've seen posters many times play the "well I personally am not racist" while blindly ignoring the benefits they've received whether they asked for them or not. Keep on enlightening my friend. :)

One of these days I feel that society (the goldfish) will become aware of the water and bowl around it.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so ALL white people are racist simply because of their color???:confused:

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No you get invisible benefits.

Like this kid...

[​IMG]

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, that kid is white, but his gingerness (<<<<my word) means he has no soul , I know because I read it in the net, no soul = no benefits :D

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How does "many" abruptly become "ALL"? What is your native language?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Stop letting you political leanings cloud your analysis of what is being discussed. Certain groups in every society enjoy benefits based on their race. In this case it is white entitlement, because the system is skewed so whites by virtue of their race receive perks that as a rule people of color do not receive.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

have you tried reading what NT1440 posted?
    at no time is he excluding anyone there, that is why I ASKED him, do you understand this symbol ****?****** in your native language? its a QUESTION in English AND in Spanish.

----------

Stop letting you political leanings cloud your analysis of what is being implied, if you feel "guilty" send me a star bucks card to alleviate your guilt, or give away all your possessions to minorities, ir flog your back side until it bleeds, what ever takes away the guilt of being born with a particular color & being the beneficiary of those invisible benefits :D:D:D

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow. Missed the point entirely.
    Benefitting from a system that still has elements of institutional racism does not make a person racist. I never claimed that so where the heck did you pull that argument out of? What I specifically was commenting on was that some people are not able to see the institutional racism around them, it's the fish in a fishbowl logic, I doubt that fish would be able to tell you it's in the bowl because that's all that it knows. That doesn't make the fish, in this case, racist.

It's not that these people are racist, it's that they are living with eyes wide shut.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks for clearing things up, I do disagree with you on the " living with eyes wide shut." not sure what if anything you expect them to do or if anything should be done for that matter.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I expect acknowledgement that the system has issues related to racism, it's perfectly clear in everything from employment, to housing, to the severe inequality in the justice system.

You can't fix a blatantly obvious problem if people continue to insist, against all logic and statistical evidence, that it doesn't exist.

12. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

Sorry but I think this human "gets it" a little better.

http://theprincetontory.com/main/checking-my-privilege-character-as-the-basis-of-privilege/

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/This-Town-Needs-A-Better-Class-Of-Racist/361443/

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I look forward to the privilege of not having to hear about a new type of (____) privilege argument every week in different editorial circles.

...White privilege
    ...Male privilege
    ...Cis privilege... I actually had to look that one up to realize it wasn't actually concerning chemistry, but rather that this is yet another topic being propped up and then bashed, apparently

15. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Every time race is involved, it's always white and black. What about all the other races?

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The issue of privilege applies to other races as well.

However, the white-black dynamic is particularly significant in American history. Yes, there was internment, and yes there was genocide against the native population. There was anti-Irish, anti-Italian, anti-Jew discrimination. Hispanics and Asians got shafted too.

But none of them have quite the same racial dynamic between them as black and white in this country. The native Americans are fairly similar in their beef with white people, but we were so good at exterminating them (as opposed to increasing the number of blacks) that they don't have the same influence on US history.

17. Digital Skunk, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Except that there are poor whites and blacks and Asians and Latinos.

The root of the problem comes when that kid decides to apply for an Ivy League school, and no one questions whether he got in on his own "merit" as opposed to "affirmative action" or the color of his skin.

Or whether or not he'll be stopped by the cops in NY.

Not quite. The root of his argument is privileged enough. He's part of the crowd that states that it's okay to ignore the issues of another ethnic group because he doesn't understand them.

While he was able to trace is lineage back to Europe and further if he wanted to. My family has only successfully gone back to the 1890s in South Carolina, where my family took the Welch name of their former slave owners.

Also he states this, which is a dead giveaway of his cultural ignorance, an ignorance that allows him to think the way he does, and continue to ignore real issues affecting real people.

That last statement was comical. A nation that doesn't care about race? A nation that allowed your white ancestors to flourish but not my African or Asian or Latino, etc. etc. is the epitome of blind white privilege.

To keep it all simple, folks like him are claiming that no one should point out scientifically proven social issues if it makes some small number of whites feel uncomfortable about themselves. It's ironic, because everyone else in the world has had to deal with feeling uncomfortable about who they are and where they are from for centuries.

I've posted articles about other races. Especially in terms of the myth of America's merit based society and affirmative action.

This article here shook things up a bit because it showed that some whites have no problem with AA when it skews things to favor them.

There's also this one showing that white women benefit from AA more than any other demographic.

18. dec. Suspended

dec.

Also there are plenty of whites that don't automatically blend into that all white privileged crowd. What do you think of gays?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

wait, do you mean not ALL white people get preferential treatment?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ARE you implying those people pictured above are NOT getting ****yobs*** and all other kinds of invisible goodies just because of the color of their skin?
    NO FREAKING WAY.:eek:

20. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This article does a better job of starting that conversation:

http://www.racialicious.com/2009/09/22/whose-community-is-it-anyway-white-privilege-in-the-lgbt-community/

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If Affirmative Action wasn't in place, no one would question if someone got (in to the school, the competitive job, etc) on his or her own merit.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are more white people living in poverty than any minority in the US. Someone explain privilege to them.

You should be focusing in on income inequality instead of your false race wars.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok... When you go save up and buy something from a nice store, the cops don't try to arrest you. You drive the same crappy car as your black neighbor, but he gets pulled over a lot more often. When you both apply for jobs, you don't actually see the HR person toss the black guys app in the trash, you just assume you were the better candidate.

Privilege is not simply poverty.

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda