Another incremental fix. Really?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Bazza1, May 24, 2019.

1. Bazza1 macrumors member

Bazza1

I appreciate the deepest, most ingrained Macoloytes won't have it, but with Apple today releasing a fix to the current iOS (much like they did earlier this week to MacOS on certain MacBooks), one wonders how long they can honestly keep calling these patches 'software updates'. They've traditionally tried to hide sloppy programming with this term (after first denying it's an issue until it hits the press online) - remember when they used to make fun of Microsoft Windows for just such occurrences - but with developer 'seeds' of the Next Great Patch out on almost the same day as a full release iOS, its like they're not even trying anymore.

2. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

Who cares? Find an Android phone that is still being updated 5 years later. I mean you are bitching about the littlest crap. Go outside and enjoy life.

3. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

You're complaining that they're fixing problems? Really? :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting they shouldn't care or are you expecting them to release bug free software? Regardless, neither is a realistic expectation. That's not how software development works.

4. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

Buy a 6 month old android and you’ll never have to worry about these “silly” updates ever again.

5. Bazza1 thread starter macrumors member

Bazza1

Oh, I admit that Apple is okay about keeping their products in the hands of the consumer, but when you build the hardware, the OS to go on it and then vet all of the 3rd Party apps available on the Store, there should be a a lot fewer 'oops' moments when you do get around to producing something. Especially if you've had the OS / hardware doing the rounds of developers to find out where there are issues.

As for 'bitching about the littlest crap', well, if it was little crap, Apple wouldn't feel the need to patch (sorry, 'update') at all. And my 'go outside and enjoy life' rarely includes spending that time staring at my phone (as many seem to do), or trying to make it work as expected when I do.

And why is it the defenders of Apple have always used personal comments against the users who speak of the Company's deficiencies?

6. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

Lol personal comments? Why must someone just find stuff to nitpick. Did you notice the issues that they fixed? I haven’t noticed any big issues.

7. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Are you a software developer? Have you ever been a software developer? Software is written by humans. Humans make mistakes. Thus, software will always have "oops" moments. Especially in something as complex as an entire operating system. Not even Apple has the power to find and hire perfect humans. Your expectations don't match reality.

This has nothing to do with being an Apple defender. Android, Windows, Linux, etc. all have software bugs. For the same reasons Apple does. The only way to avoid bugs is to avoid writing code altogether.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Likely each incremental release is a mix of fixes of various kinds so probably the correct term is software update.

But seriously you want to complain about the term used? If they called them patches you would be happy or somehow vindicated.

Lol. Just Lol

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Apple phones are still more secure and bug free than Android phones though. No matter how many patches they release.

10. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

iOS 12 incremental updates have been quite calm, you should have experienced iOS 11...

11. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Life just isn’t perfect. Neither is Apple, the best you can say is as a software developer they lean much closer to the perfect side then most others. I mean we would probably be on IOS 8 now if they tested it to perfection

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

And we'd still be getting updates nonetheless.

13. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Like I said not perfect, but closer than most.

14. Cobold macrumors regular

Cobold

Ehm, "native" Android phones like Google's Pixel phones are getting one software update per month. So does Windows Client/Server, as well as Linux of any distribution...
    We are living in times where software is more important and thus complex than ever before. Like it or don't. The times where you buy a phone or computer and you can easily stop caring about it are over, at least if you care a little about security and privacy.

15. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Would you rather they didn't fix things?

16. Tech198 macrumors G5

"Software update" sounds cooler, than "patches" or "fixes" as everyone would, mostly likely, get scared.