Another iPhone 4S battery thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckystriked, May 9, 2012.

1. luckystriked macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 4s this week, coming from an Android and a Blackberry I just have wonders to say! (I also had an iPhone 2G) But this is a world completely apart in all aspects. However one thing is leaving me (very!) sad compared to HTC and Blackberry (and even the iPhone 2G!) - The battery. Initially, I synchronized the contacts, etc. through the iCloud and now I have the account deactivated to conserve battery power. In these early days have only used the camera/Instagram, twitter (facebook is even closed because of the push notifications), WhatsApp, and mail (push). Otherwise I didn't used absolutely nothing. Now tell me if this is normal? I unplug the iPhone from charging at 8 am and by 6 pm it's already in 10% of the battery.

I would appreciate that you help me and give an honest opinion.

PS: I have bluetooth always off and brightness at 40%. (iPhone 5.1)

2. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Try to deactivate "Mobile Data" and 3G when not in use. It increase several hours of battery.

What is your iOS? 5.0.1 or 5.1?

3. lordofthereef, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I will give you my honest opinions:

1.) Based on the very title of your thread, you are aware that you didn't need to make another thread on this topic. :rolleyes: /threadnazi

2.) Most people tend to use the hell out of their phones when they just get them. Whenever I get a new phone it doesn;t last nearly a day. Now I get through a day easily with what is heavy use for me, sometimes two if I use it fairly lightly.

3.) I realize you are basically only using social networking and mail, but how often you are using them makes a big difference. I could say I use twitter only, but with that there is no quantifying. If you sends a couple dozen tweets a day, that is not the same as sending one or two. If you check your facebook once or twice a day, that is not the same as those that check it every 15 minutes (sadly I know people like that).

4.) Go into Settings> General> Usage and see what your usage versus standby is. Ideally you want those numbers to be different. If they are exactly the same, you likely have a resource using your phone nonstop, thus draining battery. If they are different, let's hear the usage number (usage should effectively be the time your screen is on PLUS talk time).

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I get 4-5 hours of heavy use 12-16 hours standby every day.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Sometimes, it feels as though the usage counter isn't too accurate. All I know is that my 4S gets me through an entire day, and I'm a heavy user.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

7. rbkhockey83 macrumors member

I don't get how people are having such bad battery, I can get 2 - 3 full days of use out of my iPhone. Maybe it's because I turn off a lot of notifications/gps location services, but I've been very happy with the battery life coming from a Droid. I probably use the internet for an hour/day, 40 texts, 4 calls, and about 20 mins of light gaming (like angry birds). And it will go from 100% - 20% in about 3 days.

8. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

My 4S lasts about 4 days with moderate to heavy use. I think these threads are made by droid fanboys

9. completing macrumors member

Apple fanboy, exaggerate much?

Or you don't have much social life that no one call, text, or e-mail you?

10. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

With Heavy use i can run the battery down until it goes off by about 18:00 after taking it off charge at 07:00!

4 Days with moderate to heavy use :rolleyes:

11. miragebg macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Don't think there are problems with the battery on 4S..

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I'd probably get the same usage if i hardly used my phone.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Mostly it depends on the cell service in your area.

Where I work my phone won't even last until quitting time. When at home on the weekend it lasts all day.

Having to work harder for weaker cell signals is a huge battery killer and since we all live in work in different places, it's pretty much impossible for us to all compare batter life with each other.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have to agree with OP. I had iPhone 3G, 3GS then 4S. My usage is pretty much the same and the 4S's battery drains faster than 3G and 3GS. I notice that my 4S's signal bar will decrease to 1 bar then to full all the time. I think it's because 4S have two antennas? I live in a city and the signal is very good so i don't understand why it's doing that.

15. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Here is my status of battery now since last charge:

[​IMG]

I am pretty happy with 5.1.1. This is with moderate to heavy usage- browsing , photo editing , video watching.

16. luckystriked thread starter macrumors regular

My iOS is 5.1. I mean, I updated it today to 5.1.1 but the problem continues

Tomorrow I will post the usage of the battery

17. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

As your new to iOS then have you gone into settings, location services, system services and turned off 'Setting time zone' It constantly uses your location and was the issue most iPhone 4s users had to deal with on release. However now, its a fairly known issue :)

18. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Under heavy use, I drain my battery completely down in about 8 hours while at my desk at work. I charge it back to 100% by 3pm and by bedtime around 11, it's back down to ~30% and that's moderate usage.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My iPhone rarely makes it a day on a single charge, generally running out mid evening. I don't mind though, as that means I make good use of it :)

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

my 4s sucks 8lllllllD compared to my iphone 4.

is 5.1 any better? im running 5.0.1

21. miragebg macrumors 6502a

22. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Come on now.

23. miragebg macrumors 6502a

My previous usage with 5.1, 5.1.1 is even better:

[​IMG]

24. luckystriked thread starter macrumors regular

So today I did a test and had the 3G turned off for 5 hours and the battery came down from 100% to 80%, which is a reasonable value. Then I turned on the 3G and in 5 hours the battery dropped from 80% to 30%. All with the same usage, the only difference was the change between 3G and 2G.

25. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Are you in an area where the phone is always searching for signal. My battery goes to hell when I'm in weak signal areas, but every phone does that.